Home Main Category Hunting

Red Deer Down

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
edited March 2019 in Hunting #1
Got out to DBHunting Ranch today for my red deer hunt. The hunt was not only successful but one of the shortest hunts I ever had.
The guide said we would blind hunt today because he had seen several hanging around the tank (Pond for some of you) over the last several days.
So in the truck we went, when we got there he pointed out the blind we would use and said let's put out some feed first. so we walked out starting about 100 yards from the blind and spread some feed out to about 200 yards
Coming in we noticed some orynx milling around in the trees to our right, we also saw some whitetail does milling around the tank but nothing much else. As we finished putting out the feed and turned to walk to the blind we saw a bull elk and a few does, as we got about 50yards closer we noticed a single red deer hind in the trees to their left. We work our way down to the tank which was mostly dry right now and found a spot a little over 100 yards from the group. I set up and waited until the red deer was away from the elk cows and sent a 165 grain .30 caliber Sierra Game King bullet at 2600 fps sailing. The bullet impacted about 1" behind her shoulder. I'm watching in disbelief because she didn't even flinch! I asked the guide "Did I miss?" he said nope, you hit her, I said "Maybe you should tell her!" I put a second round just in front of the shoulder at the base of her neck, she ran about 75 yards and dropped. This was the largest deer I have ever taken, it kind of rattled me how tough they are. All in all I had fun even though we lucked into a shot 5 minutes after I go there. The deer not dropping definitely got my adrenaline gong!
not sure how much she weighed, it took all both of us had to get her in the truck! the nice part was I made it back in time to get her in the processor before they closed so I didn't have to use the night drop cooler.

timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Congratulations!
    It's a good cartridge and load. Ive packed alot of elk meat on my back that my Dad shot with 308 165gr Hornady Interlocks. Don't sweat the deer not flinching.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Nicely done! There's some good eating there...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #4
    How'd you get that 30cal 165 down a 6.5mm bore???
    :lol:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Congratulations!
    It's a good cartridge and load. Ive packed alot of elk meat on my back that my Dad shot with 308 165gr Hornady Interlocks. Don't sweat the deer not flinching.
    Thanks, I have taken lots of deer and pigs with that load, this was the first time I have had this happen.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    AJA, nicely done mi amigo
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    AJA, nicely done mi amigo
    Thank you my friend!
    knitepoet said:
    How'd you get that 30cal 165 down a 6.5mm bore???
    :lol:
    I changed my mind at the last minute and too old faithful. I’m thinking now the extra 400 FPS of the 6.5 might have been a better choice. But I think next time the old K98 sniper in 8mm with the Sierra 200 grain hot core bullets might be even better!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,643 Senior Member
    Glad to see you got out and had a successful hunt, range report on the eating please.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,501 Senior Member
    That was quick!   Sometimes it happens that way-Take it when you can.  Enjoy the meat.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Glad to see you got out and had a successful hunt, range report on the eating please.
    Keeping the back straps for jerky, the rest of the deer is going into sausage and buck sticks. That should stock us up for the year.
    That was quick!   Sometimes it happens that way-Take it when you can.  Enjoy the meat.
     I’m not going to complain, it worked out good. Sitting in a blind for hours isn’t the most fun part of hunting anyway. I always enjoyed deer camp the most. Since this was just a meat hunt, quick was better!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,159 Senior Member
    Very nice, Tim!  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,931 Senior Member
    Sounds like some good eating for you and yours. Congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    timc said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Keeping the back straps for jerky, the rest of the deer is going into sausage and buck sticks. That should stock us up for the year.
    Hard to go wrong with any of that.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Very nice, Tim!  
    Thank you sir!
    Diver43 said:
    Sounds like some good eating for you and yours. Congrats
    Thank you sir!
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    That should be some good eating.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,716 Senior Member
    congrats 
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,957 Senior Member
    timc said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

Very nice, Tim.  Congrats.  Your story reminds me a bit of the first elk I killed.  I knew I hit her good, but was wondering when it would dawn on her. :)

I really wish you would reconsider your butchering options, though.  I was so looking forward to a range report on chicken fried red deer backstrap.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    mitdr774 said:
    That should be some good eating.
    Red deer meat is very tasty, I shot one shot 10 years ago, it made fantastic sausage and buck sticks.
    NN said:
    congrats 
    Thank you sir!
    timc said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

Very nice, Tim.  Congrats.  Your story reminds me a bit of the first elk I killed.  I knew I hit her good, but was wondering when it would dawn on her. :)

I really wish you would reconsider your butchering options, though.  I was so looking forward to a range report on chicken fried red deer backstrap.

If it was just me I would be all for it, the wife will only eat the jerky, buck sticks and sausage. At her house growing up they never ate beef, it was venison, chicken or wild pork. She told me she will never eat a venison steak again. I can respect that, at least she is still all for me bringing deer meat home, don’t want to push my luck!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    Excellent resullt my friend. You are going to love the meat. They are a a big animal and can soak up punishment..............Having said that, the last one I dropped fell DRT with a 45gr soft point from my Ruger 204. ( Neck shot which punched a hole though her neck bone I could fit my fist into)

I had some red back steak for dinner friday night. Having some more for dinner tonight. Awesome flavour.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    Sorry for the delayed response, Tim (been dealing with serious flooding on base here in NE).

Great job, man!  That's how we wish they all would go.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun said:
    Sorry for the delayed response, Tim (been dealing with serious flooding on base here in NE).

Great job, man!  That's how we wish they all would go.
    Thanks, try to stay dry brother!
    Red Deer home!

I ended up with it a little over 100 pounds dry weight. I’m good for the year!
    timc said:
    Red Deer home!

I ended up with it a little over 100 pounds dry weight. I’m good for the year!
    I looked at this picture and had "two wheeler" envy :o , happy grilling, your going to be eating well for awhile.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    Looks like the bill was filled for meat production.  Very nice.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Thanks guys, all came out great. I’m well stocked for a while!
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 610 Senior Member
    timc said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Back straps for jerky? There is no way in ****.