Home Main Category General Firearms

Peep sight confusion

saduram21saduram21 Posts: 8 New Member
I bought a very old Savage super sporter which has a Lyman peep aperature back by the bolt, then midway down the barrel on the rear ramp sight it has a blade with another hole or peep in it, when I try to look through both holes I can not see the front bead at all, I have tried moving the ramp and the rear peep but still can never see the front bead.  I am not familiar with this setup. Can anybody help me here?

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,089 Senior Member
    Quite simple, pick if you want to use either the lyman, or the barrel mounted one and remove the other
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    The Lyman sight should be easier to shoot accurately because of the greater distance between the front and rear sight, expressed as sight radius. 
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
    Does it look like this?? Just remove the sight on the barrel, the peep sights work a lot better. 
    What caliber?? Post pics if you can.

See the source image
  • saduram21saduram21 Posts: 8 New Member
    It does look like that but there is an insert in the rear ramp with a hole in it,    caliber .250-3000 in excellent condition,  bolt not chrome,   I'll try to get pics tonight,   Thanks for the help
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    Can you see the front blade from the Lyman aperture? If so, shoot it.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    GREAT find!! Excellent old caliber!! My guess is that a previous owner installed the peep sight and removed the barrel mount sight and used that way! Then when they sold it, actually found the old rear sight and put it back on. I've seen barrel mount peep sights before, but doubt if it's a factory original.
    The barrel sight actually says Savage arms on it,  I'll take a pic so you can see it
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Be careful with the barrel mounted Savage sight. It might be a very collectable gem.
    The Super Sporter's were the model 40 and 45. Basically the same barreled action but with different stocks. The M40 was plain and had a barrel mount open sight. The M45 has a checkered stock and Lyman #40 peep mounted on the receiver. They were made from 1928-1940. After WWII they were reincarnated as the model 340, with some modifications.
    If the rear peep is mark Savage, it was probably added later, and some sights are relatively rare.
    Chances are the sight is worth more than what you paid for the rifle!! :)
    It's a model 45 with lyman on receiver, 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    Suppose the front peep [mid barrel] is for close in fast shots and the rear peep is for longer range.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    I have attached some pics of the sight
    Now that I saw your pics, I suspect a past owner up graded to the lyman and just left the old sight I  place. It is not to use both peeps at the same time.
    To me it looks like a standard Rocky Mountain rear sight that had the sight blade replaced with a peep blade. The little screw on the sight holds the blade in place. Not to be used at the same time as the Lyman peep sight. Just drift it out and use the Lyman sight. Cool old rifle!! You'll be amazed how accurate peep sights are!! I don't shoot modern firearms very often and most of my favorite shooters all have some sort of peep or tang sight.
    After thinking more about it, if you remove the rear sight insert and flip it over, it probably has a V notch.
    The more I look at the sight the middle sight, it looks like a home conversion that did not work out; hence the quality lyman was installed.  
    Thanks guys! I appreciate your help