Home Main Category General Firearms

12 gauge pistol - just what everyone needs

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 7,934 Senior Member

NOT!!!

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Goddess Mother! Are you kidding me?!?
    That 1st shot was exactly what I figured it would be - and the 2nd wasn't any better. The smartest thing this guy did was to NOT shoot a third, although his shooting a second comes under the category of "You only have to hit me over the head once, TWO TIMES TOPS with a 2X4 to get my attention.".
    I'm a tyro when it comes to firearms - but even *I* know better than this...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Yeah.................NO! :D Some things were not meant to be, and that right there is one of them!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Aw, come on Mike! Figured you or BC would bring one to the shoot and show us how its done! ;)

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    One of the comments was "We need a snub nose version.". (!!!)

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    One of the comments was "We need a snub nose version.". (!!!)
    I bet that same guy is a Freudian nightmare.
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Does it take 3.5"??
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    zorba said:
    Aw, come on Mike! Figured you or BC would bring one to the shoot and show us how its done! ;)
    I could build a muzzleloading version that would fire a stiff load of FFg black powder and a 2 oz. slug. But there would have to be a signing of some paperwork, because broken wrists and pop knots on heads would be a certainty. I DO have a few pieces of 4140 round stock just shy of 2" diameter that would make barrel for one. But that would be a waste of a good rifle action.
    Six-Gun said:
    Does it take 3.5"??
    They need to make one in 10 gauge. THAT would be extremely impressive! :D
    ― Douglas Adams
    Yea, yea! A 10 gauge snubbie! :D;)

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Yea, yea! A 10 gauge snubbie! :D;)
    Sigmond is thinking about your mother right now....
    :o
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    I shot a sawed off pistol grip 12 gauge like that - once- with birdshot- not a friggin slug. WOW
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    That looks painful.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Why not an 8 gauge or even a punt gun? If you wanna break wrists might as well give it a clean break. Give you something to remember...
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I thought punt guns were outlawed?

zorba said:
    If they're muzzleloading and can't fire a fixed cartridge(breech loading) then they're legal to own, just not for hunting!
    ― Douglas Adams
    How about for naval battles in miniature? The pix I've seen of punt guns were pretty bad ass - the gun was far bigger in relation to the vessel than even the "Mighty Mo"!

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,147 Senior Member
    I’d ship shoot it, just to say I had
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    How about for naval battles in miniature? The pix I've seen of punt guns were pretty bad ass - the gun was far bigger in relation to the vessel than even the "Mighty Mo"!
    Didn't the old market hunters use punt guns to flock swat canvasbacks to sell? I heard they were devastating when put to use on ducks and geese.
    Didn't the old market hunters use punt guns to flock swat canvasbacks to sell? I heard they were devastating when put to use on ducks and geese.
    Yep. You eased your camouflaged boat within optimum range of a flock of ducks or geese and sprayed them with the punt gun and collected them. Back when waterfowl was more plentiful the market hunters made a lot of money doing that.
    And punt guns of a different kind were used when the passenger pigeon was plentiful. Spread out a bait of grain in a field, and lower the BOOM! on them when there were lots of them on the grain bait area.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    I'm going to have to google punt gun. Never heard of it.
    Punt gun

punt gun mounted in a punt ( a punt is a small boat :D )

― Douglas Adams
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #23
    still in use over here for wildfowling

a look see

and a link

Langstone & District Wildfowlers  & Conservation Association

edited March 2019 #24
    Das68, great videos on that old punt gun. I went to the link and found the pictures of the restoration of the punt. For me, that was really interesting as it showed the construction of those boats from wood. There used to be a market for the 'layout' boats similar to that for duck and goose hunting in the marshes here across the pond. They fell out of favor when the Jonboats of aluminum came out outfitted for erecting a blind around the boat. I think the old 'pumpkin seed' wooden boats were better, and a hunter and his dog had plenty of room, too. Sometimes you lose something important with progress.

― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    Das68, great videos on that old punt gun. I went to the link and found the pictures of the restoration of the punt. For me, that was really interesting as it showed the construction of those boats from wood. There used to be a market for the 'layout' boats similar to that for duck and goose hunting in the marshes here across the pond. They fell out of favor when the Jonboats of aluminum came out outfitted for erecting a blind around the boat. I think the old 'pumpkin seed' wooden boats were better, and a hunter and his dog had plenty of room, too. Sometimes you lose something important with progress.

not my part of the country so all new to me
    good gun stuff though

here is another one
    bit long-winded but the history tale

That was another good video. 2-3 oz. shot charges? Thanks, but no thanks! I have a double barrel modern replica shotgun that weighs just shy of 9 pounds, and it kicks like a blind bridled mule with a 1 1/4 oz. load of shot being pushed by a 90 grain load of FFg black powder(steel buttplates are unforgiving). MUCH more pleasant to shoot with 1 1/8 oz of shot and 70 grains of FFg. Doesn't sound like much of a difference, but your shoulder can tell it's more better. :)
    ― Douglas Adams
    I try to use a 1oz load in the very light 12 bore double I borrow the most
    I am happy with that.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #28
    tennmike said:
    zorba said:
    If they're muzzleloading and can't fire a fixed cartridge(breech loading) then they're legal to own, just not for hunting!
    Hunting waterfowl with Punt guns isi illegal in the U.S....not so in England where there is a following for punt gunning sea ducks...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 360 Member
    Ya know what If I could get it I would. Be a heck of a carry gun. Cause if ya had to discharge it, the bad guys would be all down on the ground and they would be checking there shorts for deposits.

If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,732 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #30
    Any gun larger than a 10 gauge is illegal for water fowling in the US. I saw a video once of a English guy loading and shooting a punt gun; I think he used about a pound of BP on a percussion gun with about a 10' barrel. Can't remember if he killed any birds.  But it took him a long time to get in position.

I read somewhere, maybe here, that punt gunners wanted the flock of birds to start to fly so they would be more exposed and not protected by the water.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,370 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #31
    oh Hell No!  Field & Stream did a nice video on Punt Guns

https://youtu.be/EzwbcVbE9rw