Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Got a story to tell

BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior MemberPosts: 4,484 Senior Member
edited March 2019 in Second Amendment/Politics #1
Been gone a while, shooting matches in 3 states every month.  There is this thing on facebook called an event invite.  My daughter sent me one for the st Patrick's day parade with personal text in it asking if I wanted to take my granddaughter.  So, I figure if her personal message comes to me, mine will go to hers.  Wrong, sent the message "shooting tomorrow," which she would have understood perfectly.  Well the message went to the parade organizers.  They replied to me that Don't quite understand so not thinking about it told them to disregard and forgot about it.   They said .Ok.   Well they didn't disregard, they call the police.  7:30 at night SWAT shows up at my door.  Full military gear, ballistic shield, body armor, faces covered, combat boots and M4s all pointed at us.  Took us outside, cuffed me and showed me a search warrant and arrest warrant.  I'm thinking they have the wrong house until he asked if I was xxx xxx.  Yes I am.guy in charge asks if I made a terroristic threat against the parade?    It clicked and I said oh he'll no.  Explained myself, showed him my phone, showed him the match I was registered to shoot and still saying I'm going to jail.asked about my past and some road rage incident in 2004.  I said what, nobody ever contacts me aboutut that.  I have no record at all. First time ever cuffed, they hurt.  Not like those pink fuzzy one Zorba uses.  So anyhow, he finally realises this is a mistake and says I have two choices.  Go to jail or they take my guns for a few days.  So the dug through my room, closet and safe for an hour or so and start hauling guns down, 23 in all.  I'm thinking to myself that ain't all.  They leave and I go look and they missed 10 guns including 2 ARs, a 1911 in .45. 3 .22 raceguns, my 9mm open racegun, a 380 And a naa minirevolver.  None hidden.   He told me it would be Monday or Tuesday before I could get them back, unless they got busy with a murder or something. No murders so Tuesday I emailed him.  Then again Wednesday.  He finally responded they will contact me thursday which they did so I picked them all up, no worse for ware that I can tell.  They now have a record of both s/nd and ballistics for a bunch of my guns. Yes they shot them except for a few they didn't want to damage.  I know Zorba, facebook is the devil.
"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #2
    That sucks that they can do that to you. A little police work and common sense could have cleared the whole mess up in no time.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member

correct procedure was followed by the parade organizers and the boys in blue

a school day for you?

never send in clear

but if you ever do get that itch?

Sinn Féin president Mary Lou McDonald has been widely criticised by politicians for marching behind an anti-English banner in New York’s St Patrick’s Day parade.

Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney told Ms McDonald in a tweet to “grow up”, describing her actions as “offensive, divisive and an embarrassment”.

DUP MP Gregory Campbell said the caption of “No explanation needed” summed up the party’s attitude to explanations, truth and respect.

“When slogans such as ‘Brits out’ or ‘England out of Ireland’ are used, the unionist community are well within their rights to see themselves as the intended focus,” he said in a statement on Sunday. “The ‘British presence in Ireland’ is the unionist population in Northern Ireland.”

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,890 Senior Member
    In this day and age you need to choose your words carefully. “Match tomorrow “ probably would have conveyed your meaning to your daughter without causing you all the pain. Sucks they put you through that over such a simple misunderstanding. Glad it worked out in the end.

sako
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    Too bad police didn't react like that before Parkland with all the warnings they had. This situation was disgusting at best.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,292 Senior Member
    Glad to see you back. 
    Sorry it happened.
    Not surprised it happened in these times.

Now, tell us how you've been doing in the matches!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #7
    That is a travesty of the highest order. Any reaction less than outrage on the part of anyone hearing this seems strangely subdued to me.

Why can't people just be contacted for an interview with the lawful presumption of innocence to ascertain the facts???????

This type of over reaction on the part of whats become a paramilitary rush to judgement, conviction, and force full subjugation is un-American, unlawful, unconstitutional, and wrong in every sence of the word.

The illusion of safety purchased at this price is too high. If we want to live in a free society under the rule of law, the presumption of innocence and due process must be preserved. Anything less is subjugation, period.

And furthermore.
    This type of procedural 'fubar,' puts everyone involved in needless danger.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about that, I went on FB 2 years ago just to keep in touch with the family, one of the first things i learned about FB is to be careful of what ya say, the second is never tell anyone that your leaving the house, if I have to tell anyone I'm going fishing tomorrow I either call or e-mail them, on FB it leaves you open to a break in while your gone.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,029 Senior Member
    I don't do Facebook because if my wife is PO'ed at me, I don't need 17 other people to tell me my wife is PO'ed at me.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    BAMAAK said:

Not like those pink fuzzy one Zorba uses.

Never could get my wife "into" that kind of thing...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #11
    BAMAAK said:

I know Zorba, facebook is the devil.
    Yes it is - I'm just glad it turned out OK in the end...
    Which reminds me of a case many, many years ago - that sparked a landmark decision about e-mail privacy.
    Guy sends an email to a co-worker, that read something like:
    "This sex kitten is driving me wild! Gasping, and moaning, and begging for it all night long. The other nite, she was so loud I thought the landlord was going to throw us out of the house! But arrangements have been made - she gets the knife on Tuesday."
    The email was intercepted, and the police were called. I think they ended up calling the guy's vet to see if he actually had an appt. to get his cat spayed on Tuesday. In any event, it was a big stink that went all the way to the supreme court *IF* I remember correctly.

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Too bad police didn't react like that before Parkland with all the warnings they had. This situation was disgusting at best.
    "damned if they do damned if they don't"
    watch model crystal ball are you using?

das68 said:

They had many real warnings. Obviously you haven't watched the news stories.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    Glad to see you back. 
    Sorry it happened.
    Not surprised it happened in these times.

Now, tell us how you've been doing in the matches!
    Eh, I'm doing ok. Finished 16 and 17 out of 70 today.  Daughter still kicks my ass.  Been shooting a new type match up in TN.  Like uspsa with rimfire.  Lots of fun.  Shooting against the miculeks and 500 others at the world speed shooting championships in May down at CMP.  Jerry and wife are shooting rimfire of all things one squad away from me.  Hopefully get to watch him some.  Some ex pro baseball player in my squad, deloach?  Played for the braves.  Hope to try out my Garand at 600 yards while down there.  Got it last time I was there, CMP Special in .308.  Looks like a new gun.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    hope that is the end of it.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    That in Colorado since the red flag law was passed would have you fighting for the return of your property waiting for a hearing for up to a year! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    Common sense gun laws, yeah right.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Well you did send a text to a parade organizer saying shooting tomorrow.  Need to be more careful with you're figuring next time. Good to hear you got the guns back in good condition.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #19
    I don't blame the cops but every warrant they serve does not really require a SWAT team.  They knew everything about me before they even got here.  They basically terrorized my family including an 11 year old little girl.  Drug her out of her home at night in 40 some degree weather with no coat or shoes and would not allow her to get any even after they cleared the house.  Out there crying like a baby not knowing what was going on.  That is uncalled for.

edited March 2019 #20
    das68 said:

multiple deaths in st patrick day parade shootings

warning text message ignored by parade organizers

haven't watched those news stories, no

edited March 2019 #21
    das68 said:
    das68 said:

Have a penchant for LARGE SIZE text messages, eh?

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #22

It's called "short guy syndrome"

After I hired the most devious, unscrupulous ambulance chaser I could afford and held a bunch of press conferences, I'd be buying guns and ammo with the cops' money for a long time to come if they'd pulled something like that on me! 

das68 said:
    das68 said:

Have a penchant for LARGE SIZE text messages, eh?

:D

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    The LE, in this case jackboot thugs, that dragged a 11 year old girl (or boy for that matter) out in the cold without a coat and appropriate clothing and shoes are subhuman animals. They need to have a cat of nine tails raked across their back, 40 lashes per day, until their crime becomes vividly apparent to them. What those filthy thugs with badges did WOULD LAND A PARENT(S) IN JAIL, CHARGED, AND PUT ON TRIAL FOR CHILD ABUSE, AND THE CHILD WOULD BE CONFISCATED BY CHILDREN'S SERVICES. But the jackboots thugs, being above the law, suffer no punishment for abuse of a child, a child not their own. That particular group needs to be hounded to the gates of Hell and shoved through the bars with pitchforks. That's my opinion on that part of the mess, and I'll stand by it. And one more thing, anyone that willfully abuses a child isn't a human being at all. They are vile creatures, period.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    edited March 2019 #25
    tennmike said:
    The LE, in this case jackboot thugs, that dragged a 11 year old girl (or boy for that matter) out in the cold without a coat and appropriate clothing and shoes are subhuman animals. They need to have a cat of nine tails raked across their back, 40 lashes per day, until their crime becomes vividly apparent to them. What those filthy thugs with badges did WOULD LAND A PARENT(S) IN JAIL, CHARGED, AND PUT ON TRIAL FOR CHILD ABUSE, AND THE CHILD WOULD BE CONFISCATED BY CHILDREN'S SERVICES. But the jackboots thugs, being above the law, suffer no punishment for abuse of a child, a child not their own. That particular group needs to be hounded to the gates of Hell and shoved through the bars with pitchforks. That's my opinion on that part of the mess, and I'll stand by it. And one more thing, anyone that willfully abuses a child isn't a human being at all. They are vile creatures, period.
    yes but what do you really feel about parade assassins?
     :# 

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    A phone call, a mandatory interview at the station.

Why the drama, the wasted resources, the incompetent half ass confiscation, the unjust treatment of lawful citizens?????

Who comes up with these crazy procedures?????

A calm and reasonable response is not an unreasonable expectation. Save the rock n roll for when it becomes a reasonable response. Like maybe after the suspect refuses an interview at the station or some sort of substantiation is confirmed.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member

Parade assassins are almost, but not quite as subhuman as pot-stirring trolls on internet forums.  Both of them should be worked over with a belt sander and made to swim laps in a vat of alcohol for hours at a time.

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    BAMAAK said:
    I don't blame the cops but every warrant they serve does not really require a SWAT team.  They knew everything about me before they even got here.  They basically terrorized my family including an 11 year old little girl.  Drug her out of her home at night in 40 some degree weather with no coat or shoes and would not allow her to get any even after they cleared the house.  Out there crying like a baby not knowing what was going on.  That is uncalled for.

SWAT team cocked and locked! It could have been resolved by a detective ringing the door bell or even a simple phone call.
    Teach said:

pot-stirring trolls on internet forums.

a witch-hunt against someone without your herd mentality

or just trying to stifle free debate generally?

Teach said:

Parade assassins are almost, but not quite as subhuman as pot-stirring trolls on internet forums.  Both of them should be worked over with a belt sander and made to swim laps in a vat of alcohol for hours at a time.

At least they wouldn't get an infection....... :p
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    das68 said:
    tennmike said:
    yes but what do you really feel about parade assassins?
     :# 
    Not wishing to be permabanned.............yet, that's about as far as I can go as to the particular LE in what is highly likely NOT a department filled with jackboot thugs. When people are treated as 'CHATTEL PROPERTY OF THE STATE  TO BE USED AND ABUSED AS THE GOVERNMENT PREFECTS DICTATE' then it causes me to be a little 'miffed and out of sorts' with them. SWAT teams seem to be the worst of the lot. They've militarized equipment and tactics and seem to see the people they are supposedly to 'Serve and Protect' as enemies to be shot down like rabid dogs at the slightest provocation. Throwing a flashbang grenade in a crib occupied by a baby is not outside their wheelhouse, as it happened near Atlanta, GA and burned the baby badly. The cop's response; "Too bad, so sad. The medical bills ARE NOT OUR PROBLEM. WE'UNS WAS JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS." That it was a bad warrant, and the person sought was not there didn't matter; they had all those whiz-bang military toys going to waste and had to use them. They appeared, from the outside looking in, not to give a mange ridden rat's crusty butt what carnage they left in their wake as long as they were attempting to 'get their man'. Since when is making war on civilians, the people they are sworn to serve and protect, part of their job?
    Don't want to be seen and identified as a jackboot thug, then don't let your actions get you labeled as one. High sounding words and speech is just fine, but when the actions of a few in any organization bring discredit and hatred to that organization, then perhaps, PERHAPS, it's time to stop those actions. Maybe even get rid of those few individuals with extreme prejudice, not just summarily firing them, but ensuring they never have that power again. Otherwise, respect and trust will NEVER, EVER be restored. Anyway it ain't my football and football bat, and I can respect or hate with equal vigor and enthusiasm. :)
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams