Home Main Category General Firearms

Pretty good day at the range

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,744 Senior Member
edited March 2019 in General Firearms #1
Shot my M-1A and got it dialed in.  150 gr. bullets, cheaper type ammo, still able to group pretty well @ 100, maybe 1.5-2".  As good as I can shoot.  I'd forgotten all I knew about the M 14 and it took some trial and error to figure out the windage settings.

With the 8mm J (I) not so good.  The Lyman 48 sight was too high for sight in range, 25 yards, about two and a half inch high, and way to the right.  I finally got it adjusted windage wise, but then my set triggers wouldn't work. 

As it turned out, the receiver screws were WAY too lose.  It occurred to me on the way home that this might be the case, and once tightened, the hammer fell without problem.

I think it's going to be a shooter.  Kicks like hell, it's a light rifle.  Got to size fired brass tomorrow for the first time.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Might want to inspect the wood where the receiver beds to the stock. Make sure its solid. If its as old as the metal, it could be deteriorated.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    The wood is good. Except for a repair that needs to be made on the tip of the fore end, where a split has occurred.  I closed it with super glue, but think I'll lay down a narrow strip of epoxied fiberglass fabric.  I believe the loose screws were entirely my fault; I took it apart to check numbers and failed to tighten the action screws (I think.)  One thing I found today, in the bright sunlight, is the SN is also on the stock...not stamped, looks like it was either painted or burned or some other means before the finish was put on.  It's very faint, until today, I didn't know it was there.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.