Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Tennessee bans cities from banning plastic bags

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,395 Senior Member
Those bags are used to line wastebaskets, put blackberries, hickory nuts, pecans, and walnuts in when collecting, mushrooms, and a host of other things. In Appalachia, we learned a LONG time ago not to waste things that can be reused/repurposed for other things. And they make fair to middlin trash bags in cars, trucks, and boats. :)
However, the usual suspects, a.k.a. DEMOCRATS, oppose it because, DEMOCRATS!

NASHVILLE (AP) - Tennessee is poised to become the latest state to ban local municipalities from regulating certain plastic bags and utensils.

House lawmakers on Monday advanced a proposal making it illegal for local governments to impose bag bans, restrictions on Styrofoam containers and other disposable products.

The bill is being debated in the GOP-dominant statehouse as Memphis and Nashville - the state's most populous cities that also lean more liberal - have recently considered levying taxes against single-use plastic bags. The plastic bags industry has opposed such taxes, but state lawmakers have been more willing to pre-empt the local governments.

Minority Democratic members opposed the bill, arguing the General Assembly should not bypass local government decisions.

Eleven other states - including Idaho, Florida and Wisconsin - have already enacted similar so-called "bans on bans."

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Good. How about straws?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Use paper straws- - - -contained in a big plastic bag.  That's what the idiots in Commiefornia decided, wasn't it?
    Yep. I hated paper straws ca 1966, and I hate them now. Fortunately, I seldom drink through straws anymore anyway.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I used some to hold various items for a range trip today. Used one to reinforce my screen door during a wind storm a few weeks ago. I've also used pieces of one to stop a rattling noise on my work truck.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Plastic straws are gonna be around these parts for a long time. We don't have any problems with animals eating them.................except goats. Goats will eat anything they can choke down their gullet! :D
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,251 Senior Member
    A regulation against regulation?

I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!!!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    The pitiful thing about these bans on straws, bags, cups, etc. is that it all assumes that one's gonna be a slob and not clean up.  You know, litter.  Which is already illegal, but only a slight fine and most judges will toss it out anyway. 
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I am actually looking at some more earth friendly plastics for my food truck. This place sells compostable stuff and while there is a slight premium over petroleum based, it is competitive.

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    The pitiful thing about these bans on straws, bags, cups, etc. is that it all assumes that one's gonna be a slob and not clean up.  You know, litter.  Which is already illegal, but only a slight fine and most judges will toss it out anyway. 
    Because they do. At least some people do. No, it's not always intentional either. We've all had stuff blow out of our hands on a windy day. That said, a lot of this stuff is feel good hippy crap and this comes from a hippy. Ocean plastics are a real and growing problem. I've traveled a lot and been to a lot of beaches and have seen massive amounts of trash accumulated. As a biologist Bream, I'm sure you see a fair amount of it too. Unfortunately most of it isn't coming from here, it's coming from developing countries without good waste management infrastructure.

I will add that smart chemical engineers have developed a wide range of biodegradable plastics, some of which are made from renewable materials, and there's little reason not to encourage their use whenever possible. A lot of that can be done by putting pressure on large corporations and doesn't necessarily require legislation.   
    Oh, I agree, but I've also seen a bit of wanton littering.  Participated in enough cleanups to know that there's a bit of stuff that could have just been thrown away or not allowed to blow away (personal responsibility and all that.)  I would like to see a rise in biodegradable stuff, and I have a feeling we'll see a rise in that, as more and more places are having a hard time getting rid of these plastics - the recycling facilities that used to deal with them no longer are accepting them. 
    Overkill is underrated.
    There's a bazillion products that can be made from recycled plastic, from clothing to kids toys. One of the problems locally is that while there is a lot of that plastic used, the recyclers have a hard time getting rid of it. The price the recyclers get for it doesn't make it economically feasible to do it. Manufacturers don't pay enough for the sorted plastics to make a recycling business a paying proposition.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    Typical progressive mindset, just ban something and the problem instantly goes away.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    Plastic bags are in use because of the same groups screaming about saving the forest because we were using paper bags.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Typical progressive mindset, just ban something and the problem instantly goes away.
    The ban mentality is both sides of the aisle. It all stems from the same mental disorder.

"That group over there should not do or possess XYZ or 123...they can't be trusted to act responsibly." Both sides do this. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    There's a grocery store chain in the southeast that offers substantial discounts on their products (ALDI) because they require their customers to bag their own purchases in containers they bring from home.  They will SELL you paper or plastic bags (your choice), but you still have to load it yourself.  They also rent grocery carts for 25 cents apiece by chaining them together and requiring their customers to insert a quarter to unlock one.  You can return your cart to the storage area, plug in the chain, and get your quarter back!     
    rberglof said:
    Plastic bags are in use because of the same groups screaming about saving the forest because we were using paper bags.
    This. I remember the paper bag controversy and it wasn't that long ago.

CaliFFL said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    The ban mentality is both sides of the aisle. It all stems from the same mental disorder.

"That group over there should not do or possess XYZ or 123...they can't be trusted to act responsibly." Both sides do this. 

This too. Once side does it for "green" reasons, the other for religious reasons, both are out of their minds.

Teach said:
    There's a grocery store chain in the southeast that offers substantial discounts on their products (ALDI) because they require their customers to bag their own purchases in containers they bring from home.  They will SELL you paper or plastic bags (your choice), but you still have to load it yourself.  They also rent grocery carts for 25 cents apiece by chaining them together and requiring their customers to insert a quarter to unlock one.  You can return your cart to the storage area, plug in the chain, and get your quarter back!     
    We have them up here too. The bag and cart thing are both good ideas. It saves both them and the customer a lot of money. No need to pay cart retrievers and they actually turn a profit on the bags that they sell instead of rolling bag costs in as a cost of doing business. No need for a government to mandate it either-- private businesses and customers are doing it by themselves. 
    -Thomas Paine
    rberglof said:
    Funny thing is, the wood for paper bags doesn't come from natural forests, but rather from managed timber tracts.  If folks stop buying paper products, the demand for the tracts will decrease.  Decreased demand means that the lands are no longer profitable for timber.  This can lead to the timber companies selling the land, sometimes to a developer or other user.

Where this is problematic is that even though these are relatively heavily managed areas, they can still hold some decent game.  Enough that the company will either rent out private leases, or negotiate an agreement with a state wildlife agency to allow hunting on the land (not for free, usually either at a direct cost or through mitigation or some other mechanism.)  Well, if this land is sold, guess what happens to a hunting opportunity?
    Overkill is underrated.
    In Michigan, that paper company land gets treated like public land for hunting and fishing purposes. There is no charge other than the regular licenses. I guess they get a bit of a tax break for keeping the areas open for sportspeople.
    -Thomas Paine
    rberglof said:

The paper companies, for the most part, buy large tracts of land and plant a rapidly growing pine tree that can be harvested in 20 or less years. Those trees are wholly unsuitable as a building material for homes, but by growing fast, the fibers of the wood are particularly suited for making paper for printing and writing, brown wrapping paper, and the paper for cardboard boxes.
    If the Green Liberal dog turdlets had any brains, they'd be screeching like banshees in front of the Capitol Building in D.C. until they all coughed up one lung to get hemp taken off the verboten list of things to grow. THC level is so low in hemp that you'd have to smoke the equivalent of two square bales of hay to even approach a buzz. BUT, the fiber from hemp can be used to make all sorts of things like rope, clothing, PAPER, and even very durable and long lasting grocery bags that can be used for YEARS. And an acre of hemp can produce as much fiber as an acre of mature pulpwood pines, and CAN BE HARVESTED TWICE PER YEAR. In the 20 years it takes the pines to grow, you'd have harvested 40 times the fiber the pines could produce from their one and only harvest. And hemp grows in soil so poor that the pulpwood pines won't grow in it. Between the mentally deficient government and the brain cell bankrupt envirowhackos doing their thing out of willful blatant stupidity nothing will ever get done.

And HEMP fiber bags won't rip and dump your stuff on the ground like their paper and plastic counterparts, so they got that going for them! :)
    ― Douglas Adams
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    CaliFFL said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

This too. Once side does it for "green" reasons, the other for religious reasons, both are out of their minds.
    Not ever for religious reasons unless your religion is money...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    That too!

edited March 2019 #24
    tennmike said:
    The paper companies, for the most part, buy large tracts of land and plant a rapidly growing pine tree that can be harvested in 20 or less years. Those trees are wholly unsuitable as a building material for homes, but by growing fast, the fibers of the wood are particularly suited for making paper for printing and writing, brown wrapping paper, and the paper for cardboard boxes.
    If the Green Liberal dog turdlets had any brains, they'd be screeching like banshees in front of the Capitol Building in D.C. until they all coughed up one lung to get hemp taken off the verboten list of things to grow. THC level is so low in hemp that you'd have to smoke the equivalent of two square bales of hay to even approach a buzz. BUT, the fiber from hemp can be used to make all sorts of things like rope, clothing, PAPER, and even very durable and long lasting grocery bags that can be used for YEARS. And an acre of hemp can produce as much fiber as an acre of mature pulpwood pines, and CAN BE HARVESTED TWICE PER YEAR. In the 20 years it takes the pines to grow, you'd have harvested 40 times the fiber the pines could produce from their one and only harvest. And hemp grows in soil so poor that the pulpwood pines won't grow in it. Between the mentally deficient government and the brain cell bankrupt envirowhackos doing their thing out of willful blatant stupidity nothing will ever get done.

And HEMP fiber bags won't rip and dump your stuff on the ground like their paper and plastic counterparts, so they got that going for them! :)
    That happened. While I pissed and moaned about the last farm bill, that is actually one good thing that got done.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,251 Senior Member
    Over 20 years old and still, IMO, the best Dilbert strip EVER:

You can have my straw when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.  I am now insisting on being given one - just because.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Actually you don't know many green hippies do you? They LOVE hemp and have been saying all those things about hemp to anyone who will listen to them for decades.
    Actually YOU didn't read the muther truckin' bill or the laws implementing the fornicating cluster that spawned that mess. I HAVE read it. I've went to every damned meeting at the ag center here to find out about it. And I'm damned if I'm going to post a bunch of links and copy and paste a bunch of crap that you won't read just to show you that it's as big a boondoggle as the switchgrass mess was that the USDA foisted on a bunch of trusting and unsuspecting farmers. Here's a clue that even YOU can follow. Get some hemp seed and plant it in your back yard and tell me how legal it is to grow hemp. I haven't had a good laugh in a while and this will provide some hilarious anecdotes.
    t going for them! :)
    That happened. While I pissed and moaned about the last farm bill, that is actually one good thing that got done.

Yeah, Jerm, it passed in the farm bill. Get a truckload of hemp and head for Tennessee and see how that works out.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Up on highway 14 here. Between I-25 and Ault, I saw a couple signs that said Hemp. I don't know if they were selling it or promoting it or what? 
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    If I remember correctly, I saw on the news last week that Florida is looking at the possibility of legalizing hemp crops.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,292 Senior Member
    Some groups here in MS tried to get it approved here this year. The legislature did create a committee to study it and make recommendations for next yrs leg. session. This yrs ended today.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    In Michigan, that paper company land gets treated like public land for hunting and fishing purposes. There is no charge other than the regular licenses. I guess they get a bit of a tax break for keeping the areas open for sportspeople.

Same thing in Oregon. The timber companies also allowed target shooting until the slobs trashed those areas with old TVs, appliances, and even junk cars! The idiots make me cry for what was lost. My go to target shooting area was actually a county highway department property. A large gravel pile, discarded concrete, and asphalt plus smaller mounds of dirt and sand which were perfect backstops. I could throw my Remington model 512 .22 rifle which was my 12th birthday present across my bicycle handlebars and ride through the center of my small town. Past the elementary school! No one cared at all. I would stop at a corner market and purchase 2 boxes of .22 shorts as I was only target shooting/plinking plus the shorts were 15 cents less than the 55 cents per box LRs.   
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,905 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 said:

Same thing in Oregon. The timber companies also allowed target shooting until the slobs trashed those areas with old TVs, appliances, and even junk cars! The idiots make me cry for what was lost. My go to target shooting area was actually a county highway department property. A large gravel pile, discarded concrete, and asphalt plus smaller mounds of dirt and sand which were perfect backstops. I could throw my Remington model 512 .22 rifle which was my 12th birthday present across my bicycle handlebars and ride through the center of my small town. Past the elementary school! No one cared at all. I would stop at a corner market and purchase 2 boxes of .22 shorts as I was only target shooting/plinking plus the shorts were 15 cents less than the 55 cents per box LRs.   
    It was like that way back when I was stationed in Washington.  Target shooting plinking was encouraged. Prime open land to hunt. Now most roads are chained, barred or barricaded with mounds of rock and logs. Politics and nasty people dumping ruined it
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5