Home Main Category Clubhouse

Some pictures from out and about today

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,395 Senior Member
Hauled off household garbage and went to the dam since it was there and only 1/4 mile from the garbage collection place. Took a few pictures.

The logs, pine needles, and other debris really is piling up behind the turbine intakes. Won't be more than a couple of months before they bring in the big barge with a big trackhoe with a BIG perforated bucket to remove it. The omnipotent crackheads at the EPA say it's 'toxic waste' and can't be discharged over the spillways. Folk at EPA are like a loaded diaper; they're full of 'it'. :)

View upriver from the dam. There's two islands that maybe you can see, and maybe you can't. Anyway, I fish around those two islands a lot. Lots of fish and not far from the boat ramp on the other side of the dam. Dam is over 2900 feet long and over 100 feet high if anyone is interested.
A worn out turbine on display in the parking lot. It spins the generator to get the electrons all excited. WOO HOO! Electron party time!!!!! ;)

And a pic of me in front of the turbine looking all 'swayve and debonerre'. :D

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    Nice pics there Mike . You are a lot younger than I thought was ...... I should have taken better of myself ! lol
    They are not smart enough around here to generate power off the river her . It is only the Mississippi river . The dam is only a mile wide & water is running 24/7 . They put up solar panels & took down the coal power plant to boot .  This city is not known for smart people ........ guess that's why I fit in so well . lol
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I wish I had that much hair on my bald head.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    Nice area
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #5

do you have Scottish blood in your veins

you are the dead spit of an old oppo of mine

no joke

he was Argyll and Suthers but worked with the serious adults

I was just same place same time on a couple stints

somewhat older but he did look after me

you look in good nick must be something in the water

If you don't mind I will send that photo to his daughter

I have her email somewhere

it will give her a bit of a gaggle

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    Liking the longer 'stache Mike
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #7
    das68 said:

do you have Scottish blood in your veins

you are the dead spit of an old oppo of mine

no joke

he was Argyll and Suthers but worked with the serious adults

I was just same place same time on a couple stints

somewhat older but he did look after me

you look in good nick must be something in the water

If you don't mind I will send that photo to his daughter

I have her email somewhere

it will give her a bit of a gaggle

Scots Irish on my Mother's side of the family. I definitely inherited the Irish temperament!
    Share the photo if you want. I posted it so it's fair game for reposting and Photoshop! As to me 'aging well' I married and divorced before I was 30 and avoided 'being institutionalized' again. Less stress!
    I bet you'd like this area if you like hills, ridges, and mountains that are gloriously green in the spring and summer.
    knitepoet said:
    Liking the longer 'stache Mike

Decided to go 'retro'. It will be a lot better in a couple of months. That extra bit is only 3 weeks worth of growth.
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:

A worn out turbine on display in the parking lot. It spins the generator to get the electrons all excited. WOO HOO! Electron party time!!!!! ;)

I have something smaller not far

on the site of a textile mill built in the late 1700's

intake

outfall

not my photographs

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Nice photos of the old mill. That old brickwork in the first photo looks like it has stood the test of time well. And a sharp contrast to the much newer construction at the left.
    In the second photo, that bridge is a really beautiful piece of work. And so is the smaller one in front of it. Such things were built to last, and have done so. And barring some natural disaster both will be standing for a very long time to come. And they're MUCH MORE aesthetically pleasing to the eye than modern construction.
    That little river makes me think of fishing, too. It's said that God does not deduct from our lifespan the time spent fishing. If that were true, and I had such places to fish, I'd be darned near immortal! :)
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    Nice photos of the old mill. That old brickwork in the first photo looks like it has stood the test of time well. And a sharp contrast to the much newer construction at the left.
    In the second photo, that bridge is a really beautiful piece of work. And so is the smaller one in front of it. Such things were built to last, and have done so. And barring some natural disaster both will be standing for a very long time to come. And they're MUCH MORE aesthetically pleasing to the eye than modern construction.
    That little river makes me think of fishing, too. It's said that God does not deduct from our lifespan the time spent fishing. If that were true, and I had such places to fish, I'd be darned near immortal! :)

that  newer construction is the home of a reversed archimedes' screw

generator

The Board invited tenders for the work, and that of Mr. M. W. Walmsley, of Crumpsall, near Manchester was accepted for the sum of £3,200, the engineer being Mr. J. S. Storey.

The work of putting in the foundations of the first pillar was commenced in May 1883 and the following month Mr. James Hibbert Esq. laid the memorial stone. The contractor had in the first instance intended to obtain the bulk of the stone required for the work from the Darley Dale Quarries, but upon breaking into the rock alongside Schofield’s road, which is adjacent to the bridge, the stone was found to be of such superior quality that the idea was abandoned and almost the whole of the rock used in the structure was quarried on the spot.

The structure, which is composed of four, arches each of 41 feet square, rests upon three pillars and an abutment built in the rock on the north and south side. From the bed of the river Goyt to the top of the parapet wall is 94 feet. The bridge itself is sixty yards in length and the width is thirty feet. The parapet wall is five feet above the footpath. The roadway from the Railway Hotel to the Queens Arms Hotel is 308 yards and the width of the said road 36 feet. The cost of the roadway and the bridge in round numbers was £4,400. The gradient of the roadway is one in seventeen and a half.

opened June 7th, 1884.