Home Main Category General Firearms

Too close ? Or fine ?

WeatherbyWeatherby Senior MemberPosts: 4,953 Senior Member
I picked up this  used leupold 3x9x 50. The gun definitely needed an optics upgrade. I know close to the barrel is supposed to be good. This is real close a dollar bill is snug.

Still ok ?

Replies

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    IMO, too close.  It may never be a recoil issue, with flex under firing conditions, but not being able to fit lens caps or clean between barrel and scope would be the deal breaker for me.  Just my .02
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Heat?
    Something to consider.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,089 Senior Member
    Too close.

If you have ever seen a slow motion video of a rifle being fired, things flex and move more than you think they would.
    I'd go with a different set of rings. Just swapping brands might buy you clearance, or go up in height 
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    It is on an inline muzzleloader probably should have said that also.
    Glad I asked can't afford damaging a scope.
    Thanks
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    What everybody else said, taller rings are cheap compared to a good scope.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Yeah, too close to the barrel. If the scope mounts are Low height mounts, then go to Medium height mounts. If Medium height, go to High. That should give you about 1/8" between the barrel and objective bell, and not raise the scope enough to be a problem.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams