Home Main Category Clubhouse

Fertilizer truck explosion in Arkansas

coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior MemberPosts: 6,610 Senior Member
http://www.ksla.com/2019/03/27/arkansas-highway-closed-following-truck-explosion/

One dead... I presume it's the driver of the truck.  Apparently, it knocked a LARGE crater into the highway. 
"Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
George Carlin

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,917 Senior Member
    A tanker hauling Ammonium Nitrate....strange...the stuff is normally hauled in hoppers, never heard of loading a tanker with it....must have been a hell of a fire to cause an explosive deflagration of the load...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Since they said tanker, I'd guess it was one with the bottom dump in the middle of the same type used to haul grains like corn, soybeans, and wheat/oats. They're also used to haul chikkin feed around here, too.
    And like Jayhawker said, that must have been one heck of a fire to cause the ammonium nitrate to explode. Takes a hot fire a long time to do something like that to ammonium nitrate.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,159 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    A tanker hauling Ammonium Nitrate....strange...the stuff is normally hauled in hoppers, never heard of loading a tanker with it....must have been a hell of a fire to cause an explosive deflagration of the load...
    A reporter isnt going to know the difference 
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    The tires were on fire and if the Ammonium Nitrate inside the tanker had gone molten, all that would be needed for an explosion would be some burnable material, possibly the burning tires to come in contact with the molten Ammonium Nitrate to have an explosion.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    The tires were on fire and if the Ammonium Nitrate inside the tanker had gone molten, all that would be needed for an explosion would be some burnable material, possibly the burning tires to come in contact with the molten Ammonium Nitrate to have an explosion.

Yup, a little bit hitting the molten rubber or possibly fuel would act as a blasting cap to set the whole load off. It was very fortunate that it occured in an unpopulated area. There wasn't a piece of the truck left that was bigger than a car tire so the remains of the driver that were recovered probably fit in a sandwich bag. I wonder if the driver knew how potentially dangerous his load was.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member

Another possibility would be getting the ammonium nitrate mixed with Diesel fuel.  ANFO explosives were used in the Oklahoma City bombing, and there was probably a much larger quantity of both ingredients available in this incident.

Teach said:

Another possibility would be getting the ammonium nitrate mixed with Diesel fuel.  ANFO explosives were used in the Oklahoma City bombing, and there was probably a much larger quantity of both ingredients available in this incident.

I was thinking that, but I didn't know if the fire was near the fuel tanks or the rear of the tanker.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:

Yup, a little bit hitting the molten rubber or possibly fuel would act as a blasting cap to set the whole load off. It was very fortunate that it occured in an unpopulated area. There wasn't a piece of the truck left that was bigger than a car tire so the remains of the driver that were recovered probably fit in a sandwich bag. I wonder if the driver knew how potentially dangerous his load was.
    If he was a "HAZMAT" driver he should have known, and there are "Oxidizer" warning signs on the tank. Normally, dry oxidizer should be safe to transport, but in this instance it was "the worse case scenario" with the fire, fuel and oxidizer present.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    ANFO usually needs a "kicker" charge to set it off such as a blasting cap, etc. but explosives don't always read the rule book.  Vaporized gasoline can be extremely explosive if it happens to be contained and lit off, and most of us haul a bunch of gas around every day with little concern over its destructive capabilities. 
    Driver was a hero!

There was no accident.

His brakes caught on fire. He found an abandoned stretch of road to park and was trying to put out the fire when it went off
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    There's just a whole lot of information missing in the story. Was it a dump truck or a bottom dump enclosed tanker? That would help to know that. One side or both side tires on trailer/truck on fire? Again, don't know. If it was a dump truck then tires on fire could heat up the fuel tanks.
    The driver should have known that his load was reactive; kind of a requirement for driver to be briefed on the Hazmat info.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    There's just a whole lot of information missing in the story. Was it a dump truck or a bottom dump enclosed tanker? That would help to know that. One side or both side tires on trailer/truck on fire? Again, don't know. If it was a dump truck then tires on fire could heat up the fuel tanks.
    The driver should have known that his load was reactive; kind of a requirement for driver to be briefed on the Hazmat info.
    He knew. That is why he took time to drive to a place with no houses. They were evacuating other houses when it went off. So everyone knew....
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    If the driver actually drove to that spot to get that load away from people then He is a real hero and should have a monument erected about him on that spot.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me