Former Decatur, TN city police officer arrested in Athens, TN after SWAT standoff

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 26,190 Senior Member
He recovered a firearm from a wreck investigation, took a shine to it, and kept it for himself. That ain't according to law. Only reason I'm posting this is this is the most exciting thing to happen regarding Meigs county in years even though the exciting part happened in McMinn county, TN. And I know the former officer involved.

If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,020 Senior Member
    oops
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,806 Senior Member
    Sounds like the SWAT standoff was a social media event to remember.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,197 Senior Member
    Is Eobard Thawne his actual name?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,190 Senior Member
    edited April 1 #5
    Is Eobard Thawne his actual name?
    Uh................yeah. That's his real name!
    Not to be confused with the supervillain from the twenty-second century, otherwise known as Professor Zoom and the Reverse-Flash, is a fictional supervillain appearing in comic books published by DC Comics. :D

If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Perzactly!
    Overkill is underrated.
    edited April 2 #7
    The story DOES have the feel of an April Fool's joke, but it isn't. Maybe his parents had a weird sense of humor and read DC comics?

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    Remember a few years back when someone called in the "names" of the flight crew of the Korean Air crash to the news as "Sum Ting Wong", "Wi Tu Lo", and "Ho Li ****" and it made it on the air?

I suspect something similar. :D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,020 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Remember a few years back when someone called in the "names" of the flight crew of the Korean Air crash to the news as "Sum Ting Wong", "Wi Tu Lo", and "Ho Li ****" and it made it on the air?

I suspect something similar. :D
    Yep
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    How many 8 X 10 color glossy photographs did they take?
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Gawd! All y'all guys bustin' my chops! Sweet Jaysus, here's the police report from the local paper arrest report. :)

• Eobard Thawne, 28, of 901 Eastanallee Ave. Apt. 8, Athens, was arrested and March 30 by the Athens Police Department and charged with evading arrest, resisting stop/frisk/halt and a warrant for official misconduct and theft up to $1,000 out of Meigs County. He was being held on $3,000 bond and faces a date in General Sessions Court on April 1.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,323 Senior Member
    Why is this in the 2nd Amendment forum?
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L said:
    Also the political forum. And since most police threads here go political...
    Overkill is underrated.
    Gene L said:
    The fool cop absconded with a firearm not his. That makes it a 2A issue because 'the government illegally confiscated a firearm from a citizen', and that also makes it political. So there! :D

It's a theft, not a 2nd Amendment issue.  He acted illegally, it was a theft not a seizure.  I'm not surprised you're confused about basic Constitutional law, just wonder if you are expressing a bias toward law enforcement...actually, I don't wonder, I know.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L said:
    It's a theft, not a 2nd Amendment issue.  He acted illegally, it was a theft not a seizure.  I'm not surprised you're confused about basic Constitutional law, just wonder if you are expressing a bias toward law enforcement...actually, I don't wonder, I know.
    Cop was a 'government employee'. He, in fact, confiscated a firearm and violated the law and the Constitution he swore to uphold and defend. Do you deny this? His actions were all 'under color of law'. Do you also deny this? It became an illegal act 'according to law' when he failed to turn in the firearm and see that it was returned to the owner involved in the wreck.
    Here's a refresher:

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I'm gonna go WAY out on a limb and assume you can understand common English language and understand the bolded part of that Amendment. But I won't hold my breath.

And if I decide that it belongs in 2A/Political then I'll put it there, and the Moderators can move it if they disagree. They have that power and I accept it. As to what YOU think about where it should have been, that means around 10E-1,000,000 to me. I don't answer to you; go steal some kids candy and investigate the theft.

edited April 4 #17
    It wasn't a confiscation, it was a theft.  Your motives are clear in this instance.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,709 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    It wasn't a confiscation, it was a theft.  Your motives are clear in this instance.

Mike's motives are perfectly clear, that everyone should be held accountable for their actions and when a common "theft" occurs under color of law, it's more than a common theft. Stealing from the public that an officer is sworn to protect and uphold the law for is a good bit beyond a common theft. An officer on duty picked up a citizens property at an accident scene and you try to spin it to sound like a kid stealing a piece of candy at a store and anyone that thinks differently is biased against LEO's. This propensity to protect crooked cops is what causes a distrust or negative bias towards LEOs to begin with.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Get out your earplugs, folks- - - - -I can hear the LEO choir tuning up to sing another verse of the "Cops can do no wrong" song! 
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,145 Senior Member
    And I can see another thread being deleted...  :/
    No good deed goes unpunished...