Home Main Category Hunting

Survival knife, what do you have?

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Introducing your basic original survival knife. Nothing fancy, just something for nearly every occasion all in one. Swiss Army Knife.

SDC10051.jpg
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Then there's the French army knife- - - - -it's got a corkscrew and a white flag.
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »

SDC10051.jpg

Where's the rocket launcher?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Teach wrote: »
    Then there's the French army knife- - - - -it's got a corkscrew and a white flag.
    Jerry

Well, when I got this one I looked for that white flag real close. This one's Swiss all the way, it does have a cork screw, but that's as far as it goes towards being French.

The Swiss Army knife does have some useful things about it and in a real survival scenario, it would make a lot of sense, but I'd still want a bigger blade along just to make sure.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,048 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I swapped a used tire for a Buck 110 folder and a leather sheath back in the late 1990's, and I've been using it ever since. I've got several other knives, fixed blade and folders, but until the Benchmade Griptilian came along, that Buck was my "go to" knife for most of what needed doing with a blade. Now the Buck gets picked for the heavy-duty chores, and the Benchmade gets used for field dressing, skinning, etc.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1592558750393&id=bbde4a7e7c253306bddf0e3abdaa7700

Good blades, both!
    Jerry

Amen to that Jerry.
    I have always had a Buck 110 folder, until one of the members on here sent me a Benchmade Griptillian. Now the Buck stays in my pack as backup and the Griptillian rides on my belt. ( Thanks once again Paul, I really treasure the Griptillian)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Thanks once again Paul, I really treasure the Griptillian
    Glad you like it :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• linemanlineman New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    Why has no one said just get a hatchet/ax? If your trying to survive its better for just about everything then a giant knife. I mean if you have an ax an a pocket knife what can't you do?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    lineman wrote: »
    Why has no one said just get a hatchet/ax? If your trying to survive its better for just about everything then a giant knife. I mean if you have an ax an a pocket knife what can't you do?

I came close with my recommendation of an Woodsmans Pal...in my experience, more useful than an axe...however the Original Poster was inquiring about knives...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I came close with my recommendation of an Woodsmans Pal...in my experience, more useful than an axe...however the Original Poster was inquiring about knives...

I agree. I could have said bring a Black and Decker buzz saw and a generator, but that wasn't the question. LOL!!!
  • Jet pilotJet pilot New Member Posts: 29 New Member
    Swiss Army.

Yours In Liberty
    Bob, NRA Lifer
    Sent from my iGlock using Tapatalk
    Yours In Liberty,
    Bob
    Glock 27 NRA Life
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,641 Senior Member
    Schrade sharpfinger , every day carry Kershaw since I lost my favorite Buck folder last summer (sniff) that was so old I can't remember what model it was. Anything blade wise longer than 4in. is a PIA IMHO. A personal carry knife is that, very personal and subjective.
  • linemanlineman New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    I agree with what you said about a hatchet, but an ax is one of the most universal tools there is? Other then the fact that its heavy to carry what can't you do with it? A machete is really only useful for something smaller then your finger. Bigger then that you'd prefer an ax.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 646 Senior Member
    Are you talking blade or total length? 8-9 inch blade is a bit excessive for most uses and can be flat out unwieldy. A real survival knife should probably have closer to a 4-6" blade to be more versatile and useful for day to day tasks.

If I was expecting to have to fight off a horde of zombies without making much noise I'd probably go with something like this...

http://www.coldsteel.com/kukrimachetes.html

Alpha I have a couple of those and while I like them they lack the heft to be of any real use in a zombie attack.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    Remington bullet knife
    R1306, from Smokey Mnt Knifeworks and the short Negrito bolo knife----I got it in in the Philippines
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • drwalker47drwalker47 Member Posts: 192 Member
    My camp knife is a Puma White Hunter I have had for years, my skinner is a Buck 103 and carry a Puma 3 blade in the pack for field dressing with a guthook and a saw.
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,004 Senior Member
    Alpha I have a couple of those and while I like them they lack the heft to be of any real use in a zombie attack.

Going to have to disagree with you there. I have one of the Kukri machetes that I have lightly modified:

And this thing will flat MOW down some brush. I wanted to take a limb off of a small tree that was encroaching the fence, and it went through that branch, and halfway through the main trunk. The secret was that I reworked the edge before alumahyding it. The edge as it comes from the factory is garbage. Put a good edge on it, and it will cut some stuff up.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,004 Senior Member
    Oh, and to get back to the point of this thread, I finally finished my "camp knife" for survival situations:

Russel 'Green River' high carbon blade with dense, hard rubber 'horse stall mat' handle scales. very light and useful knife. I like it so much that I am giving it to a friend, and starting another for myself :)
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    I like my S&W's so I picked this up recently
    Think it was designed by Blackie Collins in the 70's

IMG_0350.jpg
  • tlc361tlc361 New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    I have a couple knives I use:

Cold Steel "SRK" http://www.coldsteel.com/srk.html
    Buck 119 in Leather sheath
    Buck 109
    Buck three blade pocket knife
  • SpartacusSpartacus New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    Not mine in the pic but I have a CS Spartan, along with a couple fixed blades and a Kukri machete that I got from a Gurkha friend after we both left the army.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335119505.026120.jpg