A tale of two squirrels, in Texas

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,606 Senior Member

A constitutional carry activist visited several Texas legislators at their homes, without an invitation, including the Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives. What a fool.

As a result, another fool, Texas Speaker of the House Dennis Bonnen declared Friday that a 'constitutional carry' gun bill was dead. Nobody is arguing that this type of intimidation is appropriate, but branding the whole movement because of the idiocy of one misguided activist is stupid and dishonest, in my opinion. There are fringe elements surrounding any controversial issue, and presenting them as the 'norm' is political cowardice.

Texas, along with many other states, has already been through similar foolishness, during the 'open carry' debate, where common sense finally prevailed, because enough politicians stuck to the facts and did not use the aberrations of the radicals as an excuse to take the easy way out of a controversial issue. Unless Bonnen has to reconsider, to save his speakership, this issue will go away until the next Republican speaker is in place. I hope that happens, soon.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,570 Senior Member
    Maybe a few hundred people should visit his home a tell him how wrong and cowardly he acted.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,810 Senior Member
    Get off my side.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Billy_BuddBilly_Budd Posts: 638 Senior Member
    Just like Protestants and Catholics arguing. Same common belief but....
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    edited April 10 #5
    I'm conflicted here... but I lean toward the "gun nut" position.  

The speaker is obviously overreacting, and, I'm guessing this is intentional.  Judging by the lack of movement, there was little desire to discuss this bill... and now he has an excuse to kill it.  While the visit to the speaker's home could be seen as ill advised (some might say near moronic), what law did the guy break? 

As to the speaker's other comments, I'm reasonably certain that allowing citizens to exercise a right unhindered by Uncle, isn't going to result in any more (or less) illegal activity by criminals who are already deemed ineligible to possess a firearm... but do so anyway with alarming regularity. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,104 Senior Member
    I'm surprised the guy didn't get an army of left-wingers showing up to protest for the opposite point of view.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!