Surgery Thursday

1hogfan831hogfan83 MemberPosts: 285 Member
Im heading to Nashville tomorrow for surgery at Vanderbilt.  I’m having a new updated model of my VNS implanted in my chest above heart area.  This newer version is supposed to be like a mini EEG, being able to tell how many seizures I’ve had, when, type, and so on.  My current one, which is dead, was more like a blind folded batter just swinging for the fences hoping to catch something.  The new one goes off much like the old but also detects heart rate increases and sends shocks to the vagal nerve.  Hopefully all goes well and I’ll be out the same day, being it’s an outpatient procedure.  
"Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
"You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,898 Senior Member
    Blessings and prayers! See ya on the flip side...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,357 Senior Member
    Prayers to you. Let us know how it goes.
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,323 Senior Member

Good luck and stay strong.

Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,806 Senior Member
    Best wishes!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,198 Senior Member
    Good luck and get well soon..
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,692 Senior Member
    Got one like your new one. Defib (which I needed), and pacemaker (didn't need that to my knowledge)  in one unit. Battery life is 10+ years. 

Bedside remote sends signals to a monitoring station which tracks everything, even when your unit simply "perks up its ears".

Pretty good piece of survival gear.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 285 Member
    My first one lasted 10 years but it was set pretty low.  I was given an estimate of about 5-6ish years but insurance won’t pay until its long gone.  Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.  It should go smoothly and recovery should require little more than light lifting and disinfecting incision area.  
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,034 Senior Member
    Should be a smooth procedure, Just Prayed o:) it is.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    o:)
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,579 Senior Member
    Prayers for good surgery and easy recovery.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 285 Member
    edited April 11 #12
    Almost home after my surgery.  The $55k surgery ended up costing me $298 dollars across the board.  I came out with 4 inch incision across my left pec, a soar throat, and a lot of pretty nurses/residents/etc to flirt with while they got me ready to operate.  The whole procedure took about 45 minutes and I was out of the building by 2pm.  We even had time to go by Graceland and see the Lisa Marie.  I would have gotten out but I didn’t want to die. I didn’t bring my piece but my mother brought her G43, so basically we had nothing ha ha.  Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.  
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,020 Senior Member
    Glad you're doing well
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,898 Senior Member
    Good news and congrats on it being over and done with.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,492 Senior Member
    Good luck and prayers with you❤️
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,357 Senior Member
    You should have asked the nurses for a shave 😂
    Don't tell the wife!

Anyway, glad to hear it went well and it didn't break the bank.

Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.