New Gun laws went into force at midnight.

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,714 Senior Member
Basically this has made criminals out of a large proportion of the 250,000 licensed firearms owners in NZ.

All Semi Automatic Centrefire rifles are now Prohibited Firearms.  Forget the term MSSA, ( Military Styled Semi Automatic) the legislation includes all semi automatics...........including things like Browning Safari's Remington 7400's etc. If it is a semi centrefire rifle it is not allowed to be used, must remain in your gunsafe waiting for the Police to come to your residence and seize it under the new legislation. The Govt will buy them back, but I doubt they will pay anywhere near full market value.

All Semi Automatic Shotguns with a fixed magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds or that take detachable magazines  are also banned. Included in this are also Pump Action shotguns that can hold more than 5 rounds and any shotgun that takes detachable magazines.

All .22 ( or smaller cal) Rimfire rifles that have a magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds irrespective of the type of action.
This includes Lever actions, Bolt and Pump actions making Henry lever action rimfire 22's prohibited for example along with Grandads Winchester model 62 etc etc etc.

The new laws also prohibit any detachable ( centrefire, rimfire or shotgun) magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds and any parts that can convert a legal firearm into a prohibited firearm....

The process used to bring these laws into fruition was rushed, done in extreme haste and suspended due process that forms the mainstay of our Parliamentary system.

There is a 6 month amnesty period for all licensed firearms owners. All firearms and parts described above will in all probability be destroyed.

Firearms sports like 3 gun competitions will no longer be part of our shooting scene along with other firearms related sports.

The above is just the beginning as the Govt has said there will be further legislation down the track and are talking about a 'gun register' amongst other things...........despite the fact that places that have had similar systems have failed ( Canada)

The law abiding licensed firearms community has been totally ignored when drafting and passing the above legislation and I am picking this will be reflected in the ballot box at the next election.

One thing I will say is this.

G & A forum is a public forum. Anyone can read what is posted up here. It appears that the press, anti firearms users and the anti gun lobby have been trolling and reading our NZ Gun forums and using what they have read. The media portrayal of what happened in Christchurch and subsequent events as portrayed in the press and social media has not diminished and has had the effect of labelling all gun owners as 'radicals' etc.
This has made it difficult to speak out about what has happened from a legal gun owners perspective and blind hysteria has deafened all ears to our position as responsible members of society.

'Virtue signalling' has reached a new high and the rise of '****'s' ( Social Justice Warriors' ) has been phenomenal.

This is not a rant. I am just trying to explain what has happened as a result of the actions of a lone ( non citizen) of Godzone country. I will post up some other details in Clubhouse of the ongoing effects.
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    That's incredible to be able to rush such extreme laws through so quickly and because of one person. Is this being driven by a handful of lawmakers or is there a fair amount of public support for this?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,936 Senior Member
    I'm sorry you good folks are having to deal with this....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,099 Senior Member
    That severely sucks. I am really sorry.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,457 Senior Member
    The stereotyping of targeted special interest groups is a long used tactic of imposing tyranny. Its been used here against more than just gun owners.

The speed of viral social infection is historically unprecedented thanks to modern communications, and makes it a dangerous risk for anyone to speak in opposition.

Being vigilant for recodnition of this methodology could become important to anyone struggling for freedom.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,714 Senior Member
    That's incredible to be able to rush such extreme laws through so quickly and because of one person. Is this being driven by a handful of lawmakers or is there a fair amount of public support for this?
    The public have swallowed hook line and sinker the biased reporting by the news media, the frenzy whipped up by our elected representatives and the anti gun lobby. The President of our own Police Association ( an 'english bobby' import who is vehemently opposed to firearms in the hands of citizens) went on record when discussing the proposed legislation and described all gun owners as 'radicals' then stated that the powers that be will ignore the 'radical gun lobby.

The public have been overwhelmed with talk of 'Assault weapons' and all the inflammatory language surround firearms that anti gunners use.
    As an example of 'process' that is flawed, the submission process regarding the proposed laws received 30,000 submissions during the 2 day submittal period ( normally the period is measured in months, not days) . A large number were generated through a facebook request from a political activist and simply said, "I support this legislation". The committee read a representative sample of the 30,000, allowed 20 people to appear before the committee to make their submissions in person and ,from what I read, the pro gun submitters were subject to a form of character assassination. It goes without saying that they chose mainly pro gunners with more extreme views than the normal legal and licensed firearms owners in my opinion. Those who submitted rational ideas were largely ignored.

All the Political parties that make up the coalition Govt supported the legislation, along with all but one opposition party. The exception was the sole MP member of the ACT party.

The legislation has been aptly described as a 'Knee Jerk' reaction to the events that took place  in Christchurch in my view.

I will be waiting to see what the next round of legislation will do in about 6 mths as the govt hasnt finished...........this is just the beginning............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,726 Senior Member
    This SUCKS my friend.
    :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,659 Senior Member
    From my limited knowledge of politics from that region of the world it sounds not dissimilar from what happened in Australia some years back. Sad. 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    The fact that this hasn't happened here yet both gives me hope and folks me with dread... because I know that is still the goal. 

I'm sorry your country is dealing with this.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,606 Senior Member
    I am so sorry to hear about this, Alec. I was very naive in my thinking that otherwise sensible people would never allow this level of tyranny. It's obvious that the average citizens need to start educating themselves on that hated subject - politics - and how all of the issues get twisted around into one neat package that sucks.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,993 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    The public have swallowed hook line and sinker the biased reporting by the news media, the frenzy whipped up by our elected representatives and the anti gun lobby. 
    The question I have is:  Is this the true public opinion, or WHAT IS BEING PRESENTED AS THE PUBLIC OPINION?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,288 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    The question I have is:  Is this the true public opinion, or WHAT IS BEING PRESENTED AS THE PUBLIC OPINION?
    Come now. The Gov't lying to its citizens? Who ever heard of such a thing? Goebbels was only telling the truth, after all.

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    QUOTE FROM OP:  If it is a semi centrefire rifle it is not allowed to be used, must remain in your gunsafe waiting for the Police to come to your residence and seize it under the new legislation. The Govt will buy them back, but I doubt they will pay anywhere near full market value.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Since these firearms have been legislated as contraband and sale or possession is forbidden, they no longer have any market value. Your liberty, and your wallet are about to take a bath.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,334 Senior Member
    Our guest bedroom is ready for immediate occupancy whenever you're ready.  It looks like that needs to happen soon!  At least for the forseeable future, the USA has a procedure available to counter such tyranny, as the court system here hasn't been entirely corrupted- - - - -YET!  
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,624 Senior Member
    horselips said:
    QUOTE FROM OP:  If it is a semi centrefire rifle it is not allowed to be used, must remain in your gunsafe waiting for the Police to come to your residence and seize it under the new legislation. The Govt will buy them back, but I doubt they will pay anywhere near full market value.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Since these firearms have been legislated as contraband and sale or possession is forbidden, they no longer have any market value. Your liberty, and your wallet are about to take a bath.
    There's always the black market. Prohibited items have always pulled a premium. 
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,606 Senior Member
    Alec, when you immigrate to the US, don't bother with the immigration procedure. Just fly into Juarez and follow the crowd north. When your foot strikes the ground in Texas, demand asylum, and get free room and board for 48 hours, and get your desk appearance ticket for a court date three years from now, which you can ignore, or take your chances with the courts. If you are lucky enough to draw a Texas judge, he/she will be sympathetic to your flight from government repression.
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,122 Senior Member
    And as always, the innocent "many" have to suffer for the sins of the very "few."  This is particularly the case when the many engage in pastimes viewed as dangerous by the elitist few.  It has always been thus.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."