Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London

das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member

Assange took refuge in the embassy in 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden over a sexual assault case that has since been dropped.

At Westminster Magistrates' Court on Thursday he was found guilty of failing to surrender to the court.

He now faces US federal conspiracy charges related to one of the largest ever leaks of government secrets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47891737

you may have him soon

Viewpoint : How likely is an Assange conviction in US?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47874728  

though you may have to fight over him

Julian Assange: Sweden considers reviving rape inquiry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47910820

Replies

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,798 Senior Member
    This aught to be interesting. Does Trump have the justice department go after him hard and risk Assange talking about his campaign coordinating with him over Hillary's and the DNC's emails or does he have them go easy on him with a slap on the wrist in exchange for his silence. My vote is the latter. 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,806 Senior Member
    I love wikileaks

I know nothing about wikileaks

???
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,733 Senior Member
    While I recognize that this is the obvious political path for political opponents to take in the pursuit of Trump's destruction, I also recognize that any candidate that hears public information about his bitter opponent being caught up in a serious legal entanglement is going to spread the news, at every opportunity. If the source of the news is also guilty of violations against the same laws, it's no skin off Trump's nose, and would never keep him from crowing about it at campaign rallies. Add to that the fact that the illegal act was a direct result of slipshod security by the ex-Secretary of State who was his opponent, and it is obviously a worthy campaign issue.

In my opinion, the evidence is more significant than the innuendo about wrongdoing. I'll wait and watch. Personally, I think Assange and especially Snowden violated the espionage laws. Snowden could probably even be charged with treason. It's an interesting issue, especially if you consider that the 'founding fathers' were both traitors and patriots. I seriously doubt whether Assange is a 'patriot,' but Snowden did probably believe he was acting out of patriotism, although seeking refuge in Russia kind of blew that argument for him.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,709 Senior Member
    Lets not forget Bradley Manning. He's the one who provided the documents that Assange leaked. Manning was convicted of numerous violations of the Espionage Act and court marshalled and sentenced to 35 years in prison and Obama commuted his sentence and had him released. Manning is currently in jail again as he refuses to testify at Assange's trial and is being held in contempt.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me