Notre Dame is burning

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,726 Senior Member
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,936 Senior Member
    Looks to be a helluva fire...dry, 900 year old timber...the place is a goner...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,511 Senior Member
    Apparently, Fox News thinks this is all that is happening in the world today.  At least that's all it is covering.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,457 Senior Member
    Im hearing that alot of the artwork is rescued. It can be rebuilt. Structural decay will be replaced with new modern construction that conforms and looks proper in relation to the undamaged original building.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,288 Senior Member
    This is a tragedy of worldwide proportions. My wife just came and got me, we're watching this on BBC.
    Yea, it can be rebuilt. The Aughkstras are irreplaceable. Whatever artwork is lost is irreplaceable. If they lose the currently threatened bell towers, those bells are irreplaceable.
    I'm glad I saw it when I did - and my wife took communion there.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    i saw it on the news too.

Its so sad when old and cool things like that get destroyed no matter the cause.

im happy i was able to experience the place when i was there.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    Now it looks like the Bell towers are going to be OK - thank Goddess. Statues were removed last week, so there's that. The Aughkstras (stained glass windows) are what upset me more than anything else.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • das68das68 Posts: 568 Senior Member

History is littered with wars which everybody knew would never happen.

Enoch Powell

• 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 279 Member
    I don’t know if the pope will blame this on Jesus not getting down from the cross but it is a shame to loose such a piece of history.  
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
    Its bad - but not nearly as bad as it could have been. Maybe we haven't lost all that stained glass after all - don't know yet...

edited April 16 #11

not new

there has been a large spate of Church fires in France

over the last year or two.

A SEVEN day spree of vandalism has seen Catholic churches targeted across France sparking fears of a fresh wave of anti-Christian sentiment in the country,  

By Joe Gamp

PUBLISHED: 17:31, Wed, Mar 20, 2019 | UPDATED: 19:36, Mon, Apr 15, 2019

The fresh wave of attacks come two years a campaign of Christian persecution against Catholic churches across France and Belgium in 2016.

The incidents were said to be carried out by the Islamic State (IS).

One of the most gruesome attacks included the murder of Fr. Jacques Hamel, who was killed by jihadists while holding Mass at a church in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray in Normandy.

European Churches: Vandalized, Defecated On, and Torched "Every Day"     by Raymond Ibrahim April 14, 2019 at 5:00 am

Enoch Powell

1hogfan83 said:
    I don’t know if the pope will blame this on Jesus not getting down from the cross but it is a shame to loose such a piece of history.  

fench government owns the building

since early 1900s

Enoch Powell

Looks like the Aughkstras are safe - thank Goddess!

• HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 284 Member
    all 3 appear to be OK Zorba
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,487 Senior Member
    Was it arson??

I bet Quasimodo has a hunch.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 284 Member
    edited April 16 #16
    Nah, most likely contractors. Thats what happens most when restoring old buildings,  crap hits the ,,,   really easy working on old buildings.  And all 14 guys present at the time where interrogated and cleared.  DA says its accidental.
    I'd hate to be the guy that started it, accidentally or otherwise...

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,606 Senior Member
    With all of the wealth spent on maintaining it, it seems foolish that they wouldn't spend a few hundred bucks a day to have off-duty fireman walking the floors with fire extinguishers.

I lament the loss of any historical relics, though, and empathize ( a little) with any who think of it as more than that. We all have our symbols, I reckon.

On a lighter note, Sergeant York commented that it was big enough to grow a crop of corn inside - now there will be enough light to do that, maybe. Sorry - that just popped into my head, and my fingers typed it.
    edited April 16 #19
    all 3 appear to be OK Zorba
    Yep. Having seen them in person, it would have been a terrible loss. Looks like - as bad as it is - that they actually were VERY lucky/blessed. It could have been MUCH worse.
    The organ is apparently OK too!

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,683 Senior Member
    Was it arson??

Boooo.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,606 Senior Member
    grin
    Was it arson??

that name rings a bell

Enoch Powell

bisley said:
    With all of the wealth spent on maintaining it, it seems foolish that they wouldn't spend a few hundred bucks a day to have off-duty fireman walking the floors with fire extinguishers.

all was not good for a long time

Enoch Powell

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    This morning the talking heads stated that there was a sprinkler system and it was active. They didn't know if it just didn't go off or if it was grossly inadequate.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    In general, sprinkler systems are designed to handle localized fires...the more heads that activate, the less effective the system becomes. Even deluge systems would have trouble handling a conflagration of that nature...

Once the roof caught it appears the fire load was above the level of the sprinkler system
    edited April 16 #26
    if the fire was in the roof above the sprinklers heads
    fire spreads up
    sprinklers tend to aim all water straight down

Enoch Powell

das68 said:
    bisley said:

all was not good for a long time

Malformed URL, corrected:

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,076 Senior Member
    Pretty good Twitter chain (yeah, I know it's Twitter, get over it) from a firefighter talking about some of the issues with fighting a fire in a church, and an oooooooooooold one at that.  He also mentions why Pres. Trump's suggestion of an air tanker is not the best idea.  Anyway I found it informative.  Also tells why a couple of guys with fire extinguishers won't do diddly over squat.

Overkill is underrated.
    Well this is interesting... turns out the oak roof was sheathed in lead.  About 230 TONS.

Dealing with that much molten lead must have made firefighting... interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-Dame_de_Paris_fire

Overkill is underrated.
    No building... especially a historic building, is more at risk for fire than when it's undergoing a major renovation...I was responsible for overseeing the fire safety of a historic building that was built in the early 1920s during a major renovation....it was a three year headache

I cannot imagine the mess involved with a 900 year old church with heavy timber construction...
    Oh yeah.  As the Twitter feed I posted said, when renovating you usually have extra chemicals around.  Chemicals that burn well, sometimes explode in heat, and can react poorly with water. 

Yay.
    Overkill is underrated.