Home Main Category Clubhouse

Notre Dame is burning

2»

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Dealing with construction and remodel work all the time, the sprinkler systems are usually drained during the work.  A lot of times the systems are being changed during the work anyways.  In office building they tend to drain the system in the area of work to prevent an accidental discharge from someone breaking a head off.  There is supposed to be a regular fire watch walk though.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I read somewhere that the old buildings in Europe were being damaged by thieves stealing the lead from the roofs. May have been specifically GB. I wonder if the repair construction will be done old school with lead????
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,925 Senior Member
    In our building, after the drop ceilings were down and before demo began we sent days tagging stuff like fire alarm and suppression systems, stand pipes, etc that were NOT to be cut...and of course once the demotards showed up they were cut anyway...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    I spend way too much time chasing cut fire alarm wires.   What really gets me wound up is when my new install wires get cut. 

Current project wanted me to leave some active speaker/strobes on the floor we are working on.  While it's a bit of a pain for me, I did as they requested.   Two weeks later and every speaker and strobe circuit I left active was cut by the demo guys.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    The Paris (?) fire chief was interviewed on NPR with the BBC correspondent today, the chief was being criticized by some for a slow response, he stated the first pumper was there in 6 minutes after the call was made, he said only ONE call was made about the fire to alert them, when the FDP got there, there was a crowd of 200 with their PHONES out taking video.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    "PHONES"...
    Yea, I noticed that too on the various newscasts.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Well this is interesting... turns out the oak roof was sheathed in lead.  About 230 TONS.

Dealing with that much molten lead must have made firefighting... interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-Dame_de_Paris_fire

First thing to pop into my mind when I heard about the fire:

"Lead roof. . .lead drainpipes. . .lead wire holding the pieces of stained glass together. . .probably lots of tin in the pewter organ pipes, Quasimodo to carry it all. . .boys, we are about to cast a WHOLE LOT of .45-70 slugs!"  :p

Really, when something like that catches fire, I can't imagine there's any real way to fight it.  Super high roofs; seasoned wood in the roof; seasoned wood in internal bracing that you can't see that will smolder and flare for days, compromising whatever it held up; molten metal that basically explodes when you put water on it;  massive chunks of superheated stone subjected to water popping loose and falling long distances;  glass falling from just as far. . . Any smart firefighter's thought process has to be:

1.  Everybody's out?
    2.  OK.  Let her go.

How they do the restoration will be interesting to see.  There's probably adequate documentation of how that thing was built, but finding people that can do it is something else entirely.  Merging what's left with modern methods and materials is probably going to result in a lot of inventiveness.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    Regarding the restoration.... you probably can't even get timbers like they had. They believe the beams were from trees 300 years old. Those are all logged out.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    The Paris (?) fire chief was interviewed on NPR with the BBC correspondent today, the chief was being criticized by some for a slow response, he stated the first pumper was there in 6 minutes after the call was made, he said only ONE call was made about the fire to alert them, when the FDP got there, there was a crowd of 200 with their PHONES out taking video.
    On the news today they said the first firefighters showed up and couldn't find the fire. It wasn't until the second truck showed up 30 minutes later that they found the fire. 

Given what I've read, fighting the fire, even when it just started, would have been a bear. 
    Overkill is underrated.
  • HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 383 Member
    edited April 2019 #41
    Bream, the in-house fire alarm in the building went of and those constructors present started looking where the fire was and evacuating tourists, after 30 minutes the automatic alarm alerted the fire dept
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Just some fun facts...  So far about $1 billion has been pledged to rebuild Notre Dame, that's about $0.17 for every man woman and child on the planet.  Currently thought that the restoration will cost about $800 million and take 5 to 15 years, depending who you believe.  FWIW I see this as a never ending construction hole the French will bleed for 3 decades, and guess just for fun $3 billion will be spent.

On a different note, Notre Dame was a bucket list site for me, and I visited in 2000, and it was amazing.  I feared most for the Rose window and the other stained glass, given the leading around it would melt off around 750 F to 800 F, but thankfully it was saved.  Notre Dame has its own stained glass works on sight to maintain them.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    BigDanS said:
    I feared most for the Rose window and the other stained glass, given the leading around it would melt off around 750 F to 800 F, but thankfully it was saved.  Notre Dame has its own stained glass works on site to maintain them.

D
    You and me both. Apparently the organ is gonna be OK too.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."