Home Main Category General Firearms

"New" Ruger revolver

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 12,621 Senior Member
edited April 2019 in General Firearms #1
Very interesting at $249 MSRP, I will take one with adjustable sights.

https://www.ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
     Half way between a Bearcat and a Single six. I like it.

The question for Ruger is, are the people that like the SA still viable????
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,443 Senior Member
    For that price I would think about picking one up.  I also do not own a SA, so Im not sure I am even the target audience.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,637 Senior Member
    Huh...
    I'd prefer a 10 shot. I'd prefer not having to use a loading gate.
    With that said, I think I want one anyway. In the "burnt bronze" color.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
     Half way between a Bearcat and a Single six. I like it.

The question for Ruger is, are the people that like the SA still viable????
    It is my sons favorite gun to shoot, I would get each of them one, but the $ is steeper on the single-six, maybe Ruger is trying to get the price point back so the sales go back up.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    mitdr774 said:
    For that price I would think about picking one up.  I also do not own a SA, so Im not sure I am even the target audience.
    It is a good gun to have for pest control, I have used my .22mag cylinder with birdshot on grouse and squirrels too, pretty bomb proof gun
    zorba said:
    Huh...
    I'd prefer a 10 shot. I'd prefer not having to use a loading gate.
    With that said, I think I want one anyway. In the "burnt bronze" color.
    There you go, 10 shot and adjustable sights, I did not hate the "burnt bronze", but not my first choice
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,724 Senior Member
    Do they offer in with adjustable sights?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    edited April 2019 #9
    Not that I could see, but Ruger will, I am sure, based on how their past rollouts have progressed
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I would prefer an adjustable sight but I like it anyway. I wonder if they're actually available yet.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    I would prefer an adjustable sight but I like it anyway. I wonder if they're actually available yet.
    Sportsman's Outdoor SuperStore is taking pre-orders at $199 with free shipping...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,139 Senior Member
    At that price, why the hell not?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,068 Senior Member
    So they've decided to compete with the heritage rough rider??????
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    So they've decided to compete with the heritage rough rider??????
    This.  I have a Heritage, but if this were available I would not.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,248 Senior Member
    Dear Ruger,

How about you use the same investment casting techniques that you were touting for decades as a cost-reducing method of production, AND KEEP THE PRICE OF THE SINGLE SIX REASONABLE, INSTEAD OF OFFERING A CHEAP ALUMINUM P.O.S. THAT MAKES IT LOOK EXTRA-CLASSY BY COMPARISON SO YOU CAN CHARGE MORE FOR IT???

Seriously guys, this is starting to look a little like Remington.  While it is possible to buy a Remington 870 shotgun that is the same level of quality as the affordable product they started with in 1950, you have to shell out $600+ for one that comes out of their Law Enforcement line.  Meanwhile the increasingly-cheesy 870 Express line tries to siphon money from the ignorant by cashing in on the history of the 870 name.

You respected Dad and Grandpa enough to not sell them crap.  Why the change?  Please don't go down this road.

Sincerely,

Someone who you're driving deeper into the used antique gun market.  

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    I fail to be impressed...basically, the Hi Point of the SA revolver world
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    edited April 2019 #17
    Jayhawker said:
    I fail to be impressed...basically, the Hi Point of the SA revolver world
    HEY! ;)
    More seriously, wouldn't that be more the Rough Rider? I understand its made from pot metal, this Ruger is not...

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    For a buck 99 I'd take one. Would rather have the 10 round double action but that cost way more.
    Geez you guys, you have not even fondled one or shot one yet......
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 838 Senior Member
    I wonder if it will become like the old H and R trapper and 900 series pistols in terms of ubiquitousness.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    It looks like Ruger is trying to fill a gap and some of you look at it like Ruger is dropping their quality to increase profits and they'll be following Remington's footsteps. Oh the humanity! If you shop for single action .22lr's as I have been you'll find that you go from Heritage guns in the 125.00-175.00 range straight to 500.00-600.00 for a Ruger, 700.00-800.00 for a Smith, and used Colts can be even higher. If you just want a .22lr plinker it's tough to justify spending the price of a decent centerfire pistol and I see this new Ruger as filling that gap. I hope it doesn't have a safety.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,370 Senior Member
    It looks like Ruger is trying to fill a gap and some of you look at it like Ruger is dropping their quality to increase profits and they'll be following Remington's footsteps. Oh the humanity! If you shop for single action .22lr's as I have been you'll find that you go from Heritage guns in the 125.00-175.00 range straight to 500.00-600.00 for a Ruger, 700.00-800.00 for a Smith, and used Colts can be even higher. If you just want a .22lr plinker it's tough to justify spending the price of a decent centerfire pistol and I see this new Ruger as filling that gap. I hope it doesn't have a safety.
    Throughout its history, Ruger has done a great job of finding a way to offer low cost products that don’t suck. 

A recent example is their American line of rifles.  
    Pretty? Nope.
    Functional? Absolutely.  
    Better than Remington’s version? By a mile.

The guy who wants a 10 round DA pistol for the convenience is not the same guy/girl who wants a six round SA pistol.  

I taught my wife to shoot with my Single Six because the capacity and loading/firing procedure forced her to slow down and think about every step.

To me, Ruger is offering single action buyers a lower cost version of the single six by doing things like offering an interesting finish and no rear sight.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Without having one in hand, it appears as though there's nothing in the construction prohibitive of durability.

The gripframe on my New Model Blackhawk 45 Convertable is aluminum. Its only negative, unless someone's wanting extra weight, is that it doesn't hold a finsh against ware in the long term. The finish on these new ones shouldn't have that problem.
    I can't actually buy one in MN, or MA for that matter, racist saturday night special laws 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,899 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I can't actually buy one in MN, or MA for that matter, racist saturday night special laws 
    Saturday night special?  This gun is a far cry from a raven or Taurus or high point even
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member

If you're looking for a single action .22, take a look at the Uberti line. They're at the $375-$425 range and are really nice single actions. They shoot as nice as they look.

Denny

Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,724 Senior Member
    Got a friend with a Rough Rider.  While I wouldn't like one and you probably couldn't stick a magnet to it with superglue, it's an excellent shooter.  Which I suspect the Ruger is, also.  I don't like SA .22 revolvers, but if I had another (had one once) I might consider this.  Looks better than the RR and doesn't have a safety on it.  That I can see.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    FWIW, and for those who might care - KyGunCo returned my email with "We expect them in 45 to 60 days. IOW, just after the SE shoot.

• Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    I have a Ruger Single Six convertible that I bought 40 years ago- probably shot 50k rounds through it without failure and I will never sell it. I have been wanting another 22 handgun and after looking at the price on a new Single Six(5x what I paid)- I bought a S&W M&P compact 22 semi for $250 new with 2- 10 shot mags from PSA.

I think the popularity of the single action has passed it's prime- especially considering the cost 
    -vs- a polymer semi auto.

Ruger now has an affordable entry level single action revolver again- and I might have bought it instead of the S&W if it had been available, but the average guy that wants a 22 handgun would pick the Smith 90% of the time- 3 dot sights 2- 10 round mags, light weight, rail on the bottom, etc.
    I have a Ruger Mark III that I just love - I shoot at least 100 rds through it every range trip. So I sure don't need a .22 - my wife has a Charter .22 "Pathfinder" as well.
    With that said, I sure do like this one, and loading gates annoy me! *shrug* I'll see if my ardor has cooled in 45 to 60 days - if not, one's coming home with me...

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,727 Senior Member
    I like it. I already have an old model Single Six that doesn't get much range time, but if I didn't I'd consider grabbing one of these once PSA starts flash selling them for under $200. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski