Home Main Category Hunting

It was a bit of a cluster, but I got my first turkey!

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 12,638 Senior Member
I missed my alarm this AM, woke up at sunrise, 6 AM, pondered a moment to just sleep in and said no, I was going to listen for some gobbles at least. I hurried up and made coffee and got dressed and bailed out the door. As I drove to my spot, on my turkey hunting mentors property, I was listening to the radio and just as I turned off the tar road, Dr. Dobson comes on the radio with his Focus On The Family daily bit and is talking about not arguing with your spouse about small stuff like how the toilet paper goes on the dispenser in the bathroom, I pull up next to the pivot point I usually park at 6:29 and I am listening to the last 30 seconds of the bit and here comes a turkey in the alfalfa field to my right only 10-15 yds away walking from the front of my truck to the back.
 I start fishing my shotgun out of the case and drop a shell in the action while keeping an eye on the turkey that I now realize is a tom because he stopped and fanned on the approach to the field and I can see his beard. I eased out of my truck and was going to take a shot over my box, *click*, I had not closed the bolt completely on my Benelli Montefeltro, I rack it and the bird is moving now since I pointed the shotgun at him and is behind the row of trees between the road I am on and the 6" high alfalfa field, I walk about 5 steps to the edge of the field and no turkey in sight for 400 yds in all directions. A bit of cussing ensues and I double check my shotgun bolt and stuff a full complement of shells in and quietly drop my tailgate and grab 2 decoys, a cushion to sit on, and my thermos and walk about 80-100yds in the direction the turkey headed and stop at a deadfall in the tree line parallelling the alfalfa, I put out my crappy hen decoy and my Avian-X jake in the alfalfa field at 20 and 30 yds and get situated, I have a couple nice small openings in the deadfall branches I can see my decoys in.
 I waited about 5-10 minutes and hit each of my 2 gobble calls once and wait. About 15 minutes go by and I hit my friction call with a few hen key-keys and wait. About this time the sun is peaking over the trees in front of me and is right in my eyes when looking at my decoys so I am trying to find a spot with my eyes and the deadfall to block the sun and I realize there is now 2 heads where my jake decoy is and the tom is in full fan circling the decoy. He made 2 loops around my decoy and stopped perfectly with the sun behind him silhouetting his head and I touched one off and he dropped with much flopping. I jumped up and he was down but flopping his wings and pumping his legs and I almost gave him another but he was not getting up and I waited him out another 20-30 seconds and he expired. Said a prayer of thanks and one good Woo-Hoo!

Benelli Montefeltro 3" 12 ga.modified Benelli choke, 3" Winchester Supreme Double X Turkey Load 2 oz 4 shot 1125fps, not more than 20 yds. That 3" shell ejected at least 12-15' to my right!
22# live weight, 9 1/2# beard, 3/4 spurs.  I am going to brine him with my mentors recipe with salt, honey, and maple syrup and smoke him on the pellet grill in a couple weeks.
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    Congrats!! That's a nice'un
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Easter dinner?
    Congratulations!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Congrats Chiro
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #5
    Excellent result.

Its amazing how game animals/birds, even large ones can disappear in an open paddock at times..... :)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Nice bird! Congrats!
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    Congrats!! That's a nice'un
    knitepoet said:
    Congrats Chiro
    CaliFFL said:
    Nice bird! Congrats!
    Thank you!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Easter dinner?
    Congratulations!
    We have a large ham, so no, probably have some friends over to help eat it in a couple weeks. 
    orchidman said:
    Excellent result.

Its amazing how game animals/birds, even large ones can disappear in an open paddock at times..... :)
    Yep, thus the cussing, luckily I think he just stepped into the tree row and ducked down.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Very nicely done...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Awesome  Congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    Classic-----------great story

Congrats
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Jayhawker said:
    Very nicely done...
    Diver43 said:
    Awesome  Congrats
    NN said:
    Classic-----------great story

Congrats
    Thanks guys.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    DUDE! Excellent hunt and way to stick with it despite the late wake up. Love that the Avian-X decoy paid immediate dividends. That is a sweet bird and well earned!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun said:
    DUDE! Excellent hunt and way to stick with it despite the late wake up. Love that the Avian-X decoy paid immediate dividends. That is a sweet bird and well earned!
    Thanks hey, the bird I shot is the first one I saw this season, I think I will look for an Avian X hen decoy also, see if they are on sale in the near future.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #16
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Six-Gun said:
    Thanks hey, the bird I shot is the first one I saw this season, I think I will look for an Avian X hen decoy also, see if they are on sale in the near future.
    Midway and a few other places have the hens for sale right now.  Midway is also doing free shipping over $49 with code “FSC”

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocation=%2F_%2FN-0%2B4294962531%2B19378%3FNp%3D2%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_visible%253A1%252Ccustomertypeid%253A1%2529%26Nrpp%3D24%26Ns%3Dp_metric_sales_velocity%257C1%26Ntpc%3D1%26Ntpr%3D1&userItemsPerPage=48&persistedItemsPerPage=0

I have an Avian-X feeder hen and their breeder hen, and both have worked successfully in baiting big Toms into a fit of rage at the Jake decoy nearby.  

A lot of guys tell me that the cheap ones from Walmart work, but personally, I have never had luck with the cheapies.  The Avian-X decoys have been involved in kills the very first time birds have seen them, so they are money well spent.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Thanks hey, I will have to get on that. 
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #18
    There is a reason people get hooked. Ours starts next Sat. I have birds gobbling in the back woods. I was getting my stuff ready around lunch, walked out on the back porch and yelped.

I got an answer  :):smiley:

I read a write up a few years ago from a guy who doesnt leave the house until after light. His theory is that the gobblers come off the roost, find the close ladies, then they start looking for love. He says he has bagged more birds and gotten more sleep that way.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    I replaced a Tom decoy in my spread with a half-strut Jake years back..that Jake decoy drives the gobblers absolutely nuts...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    There is a reason people get hooked. Ours starts next Sat. I have birds gobbling in the back woods. I was getting my stuff ready around lunch, walked out on the back porch and yelped.

I got an answer  :):smiley:

I read a write up a few years ago from a guy who doesnt leave the house until after light. His theory is that the gobblers come off the roost, find the close ladies, then they start looking for love. He says he has bagged more birds and gotten more sleep that way.
    I usually try and put them to bed and set up that night for the next AM and hope to catch one in transition over a food source with the tom following the hens in for breakfast. Its pretty cool around where I live as the sun comes up, turkeys gobbling, crows calling, chicken roosters crowing, pheasant roosters crowing, owls hooting, frogs croaking, ducks quacking, geese honking, cows mooing, Sandhill cranes warbling, dogs barking, all at the same time, it is surprisingly noisy.  I have seen them in the area that I'm hunting and before where they were henned up and would not come in to any decoys or calling, it seems like it would be more random to try and catch 1 cruising for ladies.
    Jayhawker said:
    I replaced a Tom decoy in my spread with a half-strut Jake years back..that Jake decoy drives the gobblers absolutely nuts...
    This is the Jake decoy I have.
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 772 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Easter dinner?
    Congratulations!
    We have a large ham, so no, probably have some friends over to help eat it in a couple weeks. 
    When do I need to show up??🤤
    It's going to be a Friday or Saturday, hows that fit into your schedule? I can save you a drum stick :)
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    Don't know how I missed this......

Congrats. Great birdie. :)

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Don't know how I missed this......

Congrats. Great birdie. :)

Mike
    Too busy moderating.....

Thanks hey, it was a long time coming.