Home Main Category General Firearms

Colt Huntsman

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,854 Senior Member
an elderly friend of my fathers gave him this beautiful little pistol. It shoots like a dream! Any info on these handguns would be appreciated.
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    Wow, that is a nice gift, those were not cheap at the gun show I was just at.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Those were great pistols....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,251 Senior Member
    The Huntsman and Challenger were lower cost variants of the Woodsman line, so you'd do well to launch your studies in the direction of the Woodsman arena.  Such as. . .https://www.colt22.com/cwpginfr.html

But basically, you have Pre-Woodsmen from 1915 to 1927 when they actually slapped the Woodsman name on them. . .

You have First Series with the heel magazine release. . .

You have Second Series with a thumb-button magazine release in the style of a 1911. . .

You have Third Series which went back to the heel release.  My brain is a little fuzzy on the details, but I believe the major difference between First and Third is that Third had magazine disconnect safeties, and First did not. 

The earliest guns weren't set up for higher velocity ammo, but could be upgraded.  The distinction there was different marking on the back of the mainspring housing.  Not a concern on later pistols.

CRAZY fun little guns!  One of John Browning's babies that he cooked up later on in his life when he REALLY had his poop in a group.  The main concern as a shooter is that one mag does not fit all variants, so you'll want to puzzle that out before you start ordering more.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,731 Senior Member
    Got a Targetsman and a Sportsman (4" barrel.).  Fine pistols.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Very nice pistol!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    You can get wood grips in various iterations from Eagle grips.

The site Bigslug posted is an excellent source. Disassembly can be tricky. I just lube my grandfather's and use guns rubber as needed.

Nice pistol. You will love it.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Had to get wood grips for mine. The original Coltwood (brown plastic) will mean some serious cash, if you can find them.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,904 Senior Member
    My ex FIL had a woodsman that I shot quite a bit. Super accurate little pistol.
    Didn't the Huntsman have a longer barrel and better sights?
    The entire series are fine guns that carry a premium price tag when you find one that wasn't beat up
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
     I just lube my grandfather's and use guns rubber as needed.

Nice pistol. You will love it.
    What's a gun rubber?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Autocorrect is my worst enema.
    Overkill is underrated.
    edited April 2019 #12
    I think the Huntsman is the economy version of the Woodsman. Sights weren't nearly as advanced, maybe drift adjustable. Second or third would be the Targetsman or the Sportsman.  But I might be wrong. They made a less expensive version, can't remember what it was called.
    The economy model was the Challenger.  I just looked at my Woodsman Sport and it's a second series.  The Huntsman and Targetsman are all 3rd series.
    I looked at my Sport, hadn't seen it in 10 years.  It's in the original box and pretty well mint.  I was pleasantly surprised. 
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,854 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    I looked at my Sport, hadn't seen it in 10 years.  It's in the original box and pretty well mint.  I was pleasantly surprised. 
    Gene, that is a beautiful pistol!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Thanks.  The Sport model pictured had Coltwood grips on it when I first got it, but had to replace those as they''d warped and shrunk.  I was looking on Gunbroker the other day, and to my amazement a BOX with papers alone were offered for $200. All the models apparently used the same box and the brochure/instructions, as it lists all the models in the paperwork.

I replaced the grips on my Targetsman, which were black plastic, and wish I hadn't. They were original to the pistol. Unfortunately, I tossed them or lost them.