Home Main Category Clubhouse

"Long-running script"- - - - -

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
DOUBLE -YOU-TEE-EFF is this long-running script that keeps locking up the forum and making me refresh the page and wait 30 seconds or more to (maybe) keep on reading?  If this is the best that we can get, maybe it's time to just pull the plug and quit making any effort to participate!

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,640 Senior Member
    "The more they overwork the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain..."
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    Chances are it's not a long running script but and incompatible one. At this point, your browser tries different methods available to make it work. Sometimes it does and sometimes not. Latency, volume of traffic, error correction and other factors play a role in whether or not you can continue.

I believe as the tech guys try to make the online "experience" more accessible and friendly to a younger (always on their phones) generation. I suspect the more we'll encounter these issues.

Fortunately, my phone hasn't seen any problems but my laptop is starting to gag! I feel your pain Teach.

I don't blame the Tech guys. They're only following orders from on High.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    Us mere mortals that simply live here don't get much guidance or instruction from up high.

Simply put.....who the heck knows?

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I am running Firefox with AdBlock Plus and see nothing wrong from here. Everything runs just fine.

I have Windows 10 if that helps any.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    I am running Firefox with AdBlock Plus and see nothing wrong from here. Everything runs just fine.

Same for me both set-up and lack of problems
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• joeg52joeg52 Member Posts: 102 Member

Same here

Firefox, AdGuard, Disconnect, and a couple of other privacy addons, on a Mac. No browser problems, but this forum software has bugs that everyone is seeing, regardless of platform.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Yup  Two threads in this forum are now buggering by not showing new posts; "Last one to post..." and "The good bad and ugly..."
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    Maybe I am on a do not watch list !  lol  I just figured most were ignoring me ..... not the first or will be the last time that happens .
    It's especially bad if you're using an old operating system.

I have three laptops. An old one for browsing. A newer one for shopping and one for work.

I use the old one for browsing because I don't really care what happens to it. If it gets a virus I can't clean, I just re-image it.
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Gila said:
    Yup  Two threads in this forum are now buggering by not showing new posts; "Last one to post..." and "The good bad and ugly..."
    For me its "Last one to post..." and "Dedicated meme..."
    Not to mention the undeleteable drafts. Why someone thinks keeping drafts server-side is a good idea is beyond me.

zorba said:

Not to mention the undeleteable drafts. Why someone thinks keeping drafts server-side is a good idea is beyond me.
    The NSA is tracking "You" Zorb. They just like spying on everyone.

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Gila said:
    For me its "Last one to post..." and "Dedicated meme..."
    You're right Zorba.  Today the "The good bad and the ugly..." is working fine and the "Dedicated meme.." is not.  Go figure... 
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Was it the other way "yesterday"? Anything's possible.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The whole forum sucks like a Dyson ball- - - - -popup ads, slow page changes, intermittent "edit" capability- - - -the latest "upgrade" just about killed the place and ran off some very good people out of sheer frustration!  
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    Gotta agree with you there, Teach. I was almost one of them.

It's running okay on my chrome book now that the auto-scrolling glitch went away, but it's now practically useless on my phone. 

And the mod functions.....don't even get me started down that road. :#

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Other than a couple of threads not updating with new posts (ones mentioned) I'm not having any real problems except for stupid drafts saved for no reason. I'm on a Windblows 10 laptop running Firefox browser and AdBlock+ so not seeing any poopy popup ads or the other problems. Haven't been posting much on the forum because of 'personal reasons' not to do with forum. I'll post that info to my friends here in a multiple recipient IM when I know more later on in a few days. Right now I'm in a one rotor hover for a couple more days.

And it's Spring and I'm busy as a one legged man at a butt kickin' contest on the farm. Working on bulldozer and about got it finished and rockin' like a champ, got the boat and motor humming and going to get to some fishing done, and helping a couple of new neighbors with a crash course in light farming and gardening. Got their garden plot prepped and they seeded today with heirloom seeds I gave them; none of that GMO hybrid crap! Gotta pass it on! Seeing their smiles at the help and the offer to help more was being way overpaid!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member

I've just about given up trying to read, much less post anything when I'm on the road and using my laptop.  At home, the main computer is only mildly annoying.  I believe the laptop is running some version of Windows 8, which was terrible when new, and hasn't improved with age.  Attempting to run any sort of ad blocker on that one slows it down to a crawl, or just locks it up entirely.  Even at home, waiting for a dozen pop-up ads to load after every page change makes me want to take a flamethrower to the monitor, but I guess that's necessary when the magazine probably only has a couple of dozen subscribers nationwide!

tennmike said:
    Other than a couple of threads not updating with new posts (ones mentioned) I'm not having any real problems except for stupid drafts saved for no reason.
    This has been my recent experience as well.
    As for it not working on fones - why, that's a feature! ;)

tennmike said:

Seeing their smiles at the help and the offer to help more was being way overpaid!
    Gee, you're a swell guy!

The Lord rewards and that's more than enough for anyone.
    o:)

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    Not really having any problems here other than showing thread updates. I've give up on how to get the quote, draft thing to work.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    Teach said:

I've just about given up trying to read, much less post anything when I'm on the road and using my laptop.  At home, the main computer is only mildly annoying.  I believe the laptop is running some version of Windows 8, which was terrible when new, and hasn't improved with age.  Attempting to run any sort of ad blocker on that one slows it down to a crawl, or just locks it up entirely.  Even at home, waiting for a dozen pop-up ads to load after every page change makes me want to take a flamethrower to the monitor, but I guess that's necessary when the magazine probably only has a couple of dozen subscribers nationwide!

I am running Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro and not having any of the issues you are.  However, I use Firefox as my browser and I shut off the automatic updates for Windows long ago.  I have it set to not even check for updates.