Home Main Category General Firearms

Used rack got me again.

mitdr774mitdr774 MemberPosts: 1,445 Senior Member
While browsing one of my local used rack options something caught my eye.  I went in to get another Mauser and almost made it past the last rack, but another customer interrupted the sales guy and I paused for a second too long.  I usually just glance over the later guns since I'm not looking for a .30-30 just yet.  I have however been half assed looking for a .357 lever gun.  

They had a Marlin 1894cs sitting in the rack.  Based on what I have found of the date codes, it looks to be a 1995 production.  It is JM stamped.  I do not know a whole lot about the Marlin lever guns other than my experience with my 1894 in .44 Magnum.  Based on that I expect no issues with typical book load combinations.

First rifle purchase I have been really excited about in a little while.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,917 Senior Member
    Nice grab!  Solid rifle except for that half-passed cross bolt safety...you can get rid of it for less than twenty bucks...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    I have debated it on my .44 and will probably look into it again since I now have two rifles that could benefit from the removal.

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    That looks really nice. I would like one of them myself. 
    I have never fired a .357 lever gun.   I'm looking forward to a range trip with it. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,090 Senior Member
    Looks good
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,890 Senior Member
    Nice grab. I've had two marlins in 38spl/.357mag, foolishly let a buddy talk me out of the first one. passed the second on to one of my daughters since it came from my dad's collection. Thought it would pair nicely with the S&W model 10 he gave her before he passed.
    Congrats.

Sako
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,906 Senior Member
    Nice find.  Thats a handy rifle
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    I am always looking for one of those in .357 and .44, they are always priced $600-700, I can't pull the trigger with that price. Looks nice, congrats.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,159 Senior Member
    I know that part of the appeal of the round is to have a rifle and a pistol in the same chambering, but I think one of those in .357 Maximum would be a sweet deer gun for pistol cartridge only states like Ohio....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I have wanted a .357 lever gun since before I picked up my .44 lever gun.  They just don't seem to pop up very often.  

I will probably throw a 2-7 on it since I have zero faith in Marlin factory sights.  I know that my .44 factory sights were about useless even at 25 yards.  Looking down this rifle and it looks like the sights will be just as far off as well.

The other options is to look for a rear sight that can be mounted on top of the receiver in place of the scope mounting base.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,149 Senior Member
    Nice score!  My marlin 357 is one of my favorite plinking guns. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
    Great score!! You don't see many really nice Marlins in the racks anymore. AND It's a JM, not a Remlin!! 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Ive read about these.
    http://www.skinnersights.com
    They look like they'd be good.

Nice looking rifle!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #15
    I have several Skinner sights on Marlins. I like then a lot!!
    Skinner is the company I was thinking of, but couldnt recall the name.  They look like a decent product that should work well and look good doing it.
  • ShannonHayesShannonHayes Posts: 211 Member
    mitdr774 said:
    I have wanted a .357 lever gun since before I picked up my .44 lever gun.  They just don't seem to pop up very often.  

I will probably throw a 2-7 on it since I have zero faith in Marlin factory sights.  I know that my .44 factory sights were about useless even at 25 yards.  Looking down this rifle and it looks like the sights will be just as far off as well.

The other options is to look for a rear sight that can be mounted on top of the receiver in place of the scope mounting base.
    I bought a Marlin Model 60 the day I turned eighteen in March of '98. That's been twenty-one years ago, and it still has factory iron sights on it. My Dad, younger brother and I have shot plenty of shots a lot of people wouldn't believe with that rifle. Not only are the sights great, its the most reliable, dependable rifle I own and have ever known of!
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    I still have the Marlin Model 60 my brother gave me when I was 17......31 years ago. flatman
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,854 Senior Member
    Good hustle! 
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain