Home Main Category Clubhouse

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #2
    I've read a number of articles in the same vein.
    Thing is, when something new first comes out, I take a look at it and pretty much make a decision as to whether or not I'm interested in it. When the smartfone first came out, I saw it for what it was: A grossly over priced gadget with severe limitations on its usefulness - and promptly ignored it and pretty much forgot that it even existed. I considered it an Apple Newton (also a device of limited usefulness) poorly grafted to a cell phone to the detriment of both - although I never was much on PDAs either.
    Fast for ward to today, and suddenly these things are everywhere - which was somewhat shocking to me as my opinion of their cost and usability hasn't changed in the meantime. Now I don't care what other people do, but suddenly I'm "expected" to own one of these things and people evidently care that I don't, because I get comments with increasing frequency.
    Whatever, I sure don't get it! I started computing in about 1978 with 12 inch screens, I sure am not going backwards to a 4 inch in 2019 - I'm already complaining that my pair of 22 inch screens isn't enough real estate as it is!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    I know folk like their smart phones, and the surfing web and stuff on them. But a phone should be a phone with a camera for taking quick shots of something important. With the new tablets being bigger, they'd be a much better choice for doing the web and texting and other stuff left over that computers do. And a 10 inch tablet with the nice carrying case would be MUCH more convenient and easier to use and see without getting a 'crick in your neck'. And less eye strain. I broke down and bought an iPad and am getting to love it. Convenient and easy to use and with my Verizon Hotspot it connects to the net FAST and with the auxiliary keyboard I can actually type like I mean it. And no squinting at a tiny screen.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    I can get in enough trouble with the desk top in my office . I don't need to carry one with me ..... yet . Get calls & make calls is all I need my phone for .
    edited April 2019 #5
    A tablet is still waaaay too small, but certainly far better than a smartfone. The crippled user interface (UI) doesnt help either. They're pretty good for watching Hickok45 videos on YooToob, can make decent portable "sign at the table" credit card machines and inventory checkers, but not much else. Works OK for displaying chronograph data too.
    On the other hand, when Amazon's Kindle came out, my thought was "If this E-ink is everything Amazon says it is, this changes everything". And indeed, I wish I could get a large E-ink computer monitor. Staring at a light bulb all day gets old, especially with the GLARING white that programs and websites (like this one) insist on using.
    Another advance was LCD monitors. Between the GLARING white backgrounds and the low persistence phosphor inherited from color TV which caused visible flicker, color CRT monitors gave me a literal, pounding headache after about 30 minutes. The insane insistence towards non-interlaced displays only made it worse (LCD at least made that a non-issue). Monochrome - esp. green screens - were far easier on the eyes. I still set my text editors to green on black which is FAR more restful than this crazy GLARING white everyone insists on using.
    The PC industry ignoring and/or bastardizing every standard they ever touched is a story for another day!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    zorba said:

On the other hand, when Amazon's Kindle came out, my thought was "If this E-ink is everything Amazon says it is, this changes everything". And indeed, I wish I could get a large E-ink computer monitor.

I read a lot of books and didn't think I would like a Kindle......but then my wife bought me one.  I actually love it.  I found that I have significantly less eye strain reading a Kindle screen as opposed to a printed page.  It is to the point that I do not care to read traditional printed books anymore.
    I read a lot of books and didn't think I would like a Kindle......but then my wife bought me one.  I actually love it.  I found that I have significantly less eye strain reading a Kindle screen as opposed to a printed page.  It is to the point that I do not care to read traditional printed books anymore.
    Pretty much! I waited until I could actually see one in the flesh, and that E-ink is wonderful! I too prefer to read on Kindle because its far easier to hold, and I can scale the font to whatever HUGE size I want. I just wish they'd move the wake/sleep button to the top side, my pinky finger keeps pressing it by accident.
    On the other hand, it sucks for books with illustrations or charts.

zorba said:
    I just wish they'd move the wake/sleep button to the top side, my pinky finger keeps pressing it by accident.
    Ummm.....flip it over, the screen will auto-rotate.

zorba said:
    I just wish they'd move the wake/sleep button to the top side, my pinky finger keeps pressing it by accident.
    Ummm.....flip it over, the screen will auto-rotate.

Nope. Not on any Kindle I've seen. I assume yours does?

Yep, sure does.  I have a Kindle Fire.
    That's what I figured. The fire isn't an e-ink Kindle - different animal. I wish mine did "rotate", but I wouldn't want to read for any length of time on a color display.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    When Debbie's kindle got damaged, she was about to buy a new one and found that she could buy a cheap tablet for the same price that could do everything that a kindle does and more. Now we both use cheap RCA tablets that easily handle the greater majority of our online activity.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    I have one of those cheap RCA tablets myself.
    Wouldn't want to read books on it - but it *is* nice to watch Hickok45 videos on. Haven't found much else use for it.