Home Main Category Hunting

New pig killing place!

ZeeZee Posts: 28,416 Senior Member
I usually cull pigs in agg fields at night. Daylight is a rare opportunity. 

So, when a little old lady says she has pigs in her yard and at her feeder during daylight.......that she wants rid of.......who am I to deny services?

Preliminary excursion resulted in 2 with my LR-308 and 165g Sierra HPBT-GK @ 175yrds. 

Second trip resulted in no pigs, but a mess of squirrels which she also wanted out of her yard (no season here).

By the 3rd trip, I had my new WWII firearms up and running so, I used my Enfield in .303 British and a friend used my 8mm Mauser to make a synchronized shot at 45ish yards on a pair of piggies. 

Daylight has has been a fun and productive opportunity. Albeit, a rare one. Hopefully the opportunity continues!

All in all, good times with great guns. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Posts: 18,360 Senior Member
    Nicely done....those first two look kinda sizeable...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Posts: 28,416 Senior Member
    None overly big. All sows. 
  • ShannonHayesShannonHayes Posts: 211 Member
    Zee, have you ever used dogs in your hoghunting experiences? I prefer hunting them with dogs, myself, but some people prefer other methods.
    Zee, have you ever used dogs in your hoghunting experiences? I prefer hunting them with dogs, myself, but some people prefer other methods.
    Yes. In the mountains of NC. 
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Posts: 8,609 Senior Member
    A "day-hunter"....Who is this man???   Good Work!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    That’s a genuine treat to have them roaming in the open of daylight like that.  I love seeing those old war horses getting it done on a modern hunt.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • zorbazorba Posts: 25,286 Senior Member
    175 yards? That's point blank range for Zee! Congrats and that thar's good huntin'!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Thanks guys. It’s fun to actually hunt in the daytime!  😁
  • BigslugBigslug Posts: 9,868 Senior Member
    Huh.  Enfields and Mausers capable of actually killing stuff.  Who knew?

Hee!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • joyjoy22joyjoy22 Posts: 44 Member
    It seems like you had fun helping this old lady. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Posts: 14,852 Senior Member
    Hunting in May, you suck. Anything autopsy worthy with the warhorse's loads?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Hunting in May, you suck. Anything autopsy worthy with the warhorse's loads?
    It was so stinking hot, we drug them to the road, took quick pics, yanked the guts out, and filled the cavity up with ice for the ride home. Even then, I felt like we were pushing it. Hunting in the summer SUCKS!!!!

All the pigs were moving around like cockroaches. Trying to get a synchronized shot on two pigs literally took 5 minutes of one clear shot now the other, now both, now neither. All changing in seconds. We both hit slightly back of our intended POA and struck the liver when we finally timed a joint shot on the rapidly moving mosh pit. 

The 8mm pig dropped on the spot, the .303 pig ran at the shot with blood flowing from the entrance hole as visible through the scope. 

Chunks of liver were found with ample blood for the first few yards. Then, sporadic flow and droplets as the holes would plug up with chunks of liver. Often, I was following tracks and grass trail. But, we stuck with it because I knew she was dead. Found her dead after a 50-75 yard track thick brush. Chunks of liver hanging/plugging both entrance and exit holes. 

Persistence pays off. 

Autopsy as I rapidly gutted each pig was that both livers were almost completely destroyed. Thoracic cavity and paunch were intact. 

Exit on both pigs was of ample size. 

I was happy with their results considering the liver shots. 
    I bet you were a sweaty mess after that, I am sure the biting insects ignored you with pig blood on you, yikes. I got one wood tick on me this weekend and the first batch of gnats hatched and was bummed, it must have been like a horror movie in the brush. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited May 2019 #15
    We were pulling ticks and fleas off of us non-stop while gutting and later butchering them.

I don’t mind ticks, they are easy to deal with. Being covered by fleas sucks big time!!  I hate dealing with warm weather pigs because of the fleas. 

I hate fleas. 

And mosquitoes. 

Zee said:
    We were pulling ticks and fleas off of us non-stop while gutting and later butchering them.

I don’t mind ticks, they are easy to deal with. Being covered by fleas sucks big time!!  I hate dealing with warm weather pigs because of the fleas. 

I hate fleas. 

And mosquitoes. 

Oh my, my wife would have a cow, I practically had to light a gas torch so she could dispatch the woodtick on me, in an ash tray, not on me :) .
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Posts: 8,609 Senior Member
    Zee said:

I hate fleas. 

And mosquitoes. 

Don't tell anyone, but I am wearing a coat today...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Franz123Franz123 Posts: 2 New Member