Home Main Category Clubhouse

Teach is gone

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,335 Senior Member
    We seem to forget, speed limit is the legal max speed on a road.  When not in the left lane, going under the speed limit but traveling at least the minimum is 100% legal.

Those traveling on motor cycles need to follow the same rules.  You don't get to ride on the shoulder, between lanes or lane share (except in California where it is legal)  

Not all motorcycle riders are the type in the video, but it is a rare case that the crazy cyclist is not on a so called crotch rocket.

It won't bring Teach back, but goes to say he is more right than wrong
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,143 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    We seem to forget, speed limit is the legal max speed on a road.  When not in the left lane, going under the speed limit but traveling at least the minimum is 100% legal.

But not necessarily advised - the old saying about being "dead right" applies here.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited June 2019 #94
    Most motor cycle people are good citizens but sometimes you get kids or irresponsible adults and they ruin it for everybody. You get a certain amount of people with the same mentality in vehicles with 4 wheels. While I can't condone teaches or anybodies rants at people I can see what pushes them to do it.

One thing that pisses me off is noise pollution. Nobody here enjoys the sound of a well tuned hot rod screaming down the strip at 6 grand and smoking tires. But there's a time and place for it and that isn't on the public streets. When at my house I have a right to peaceful existence.

Yesterday evening I was out front watering tomatoes and grape vines and this pickup rolled by slowly and just as he got passed me he revved it up, and scared the hell out of all of us. It wasn't expected or called for. I called him a few choice names and was ready to punch his lights out if he came into my yard to protest. But he went next door to see his friends.
    I just don't have patience to deal with people that do that kind of thing with total disregard for the rest of us's peaceful existence.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    I kind of miss the old yahoo chat rooms . You could say anything you wanted to & if people didn't want to hear it ..... they could block you & not have to put up with it . In type it is a lot tougher to know if someone is kidding or not . I don't recall if I have been attacked on here or not but at the end of the day it didn't change what I had for supper . Many good people get condemned every day for saying things others don't like . The real crime in my opinion is what is done ..... not talked about . I usually don't comment on things like this but with seeing what it is doing to this forum I felt the need to throw my opinion in . If PC gets much worse in this forum the only option is to find another place to talk & learn from each other .
    I agree Ol' Ron, well said.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    One thing that pisses me off is noise pollution. Nobody here enjoys the sound of a well tuned hot rod screaming down the strip at 6 grand and smoking tires. But there's a time and place for it and that isn't on the public streets. When at my house I have a right to peaceful existence.

Yesterday evening I was out front watering tomatoes and grape vines and this pickup rolled by slowly and just as he got passed me he revved it up, and scared the hell out of all of us. It wasn't expected or called for. I called him a few choice names and was ready to punch his lights out if he came into my yard to protest. But he went next door to see his friends.
    I just don't have patience to deal with people that do that kind of thing with total disregard for the rest of us's peaceful existence.

You sound like me - I have zero patience for unnecessary NOISE of any/all types. Most especially idiots who want to share their music with everyone in a 3 block radius - even if its music I like.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Noise is a lot more tolerable than having my life threatened and receiving aggressive menacing. These are things I deal with here regularly. It puts internet comments in a lesser comparative perspective.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,950 Senior Member
    Sorry to see teach is gone, was away for a little while and must say this surprised me but I do understand. His knowledge will be missed.
    As far as noise, I love the sounds and smell of the drag strip but not someone thinking I should have to listen to their music.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Just for the record, nobody had even remotely mentioned flying around on crotch rockets. A member or two just mentioned owning or liking them and that guy took it upon himself to not only state that he hates them, but that the nearest concealed carrier should put a bullet in the owners of them. I haven’t been around long but the guy was always pissed off and nasty like he had a chip on his shoulder. No idea what his deal was but it seemed like he took new members as threats and did all he could to run them off because he felt they didn’t belong in “his house”. 

'Crotch rockets' can serve a purpose. That's why I call them "Donor Cycles".

zorba said:
    There are plenty of idiots across the spectrum, in both cars and bikes. Not mentioned are the Harleys blat-blat-blatting along at 50MPH in a 70 zone. Just as much a menace as the afore mentioned crotch rockets. Often in large groups, making it worse.
    And the idiots in BMWs (its always a BMW) weaving in and out of traffic at insane speeds, as well as the Priuses clogging the left lane.
    That in no way means that every Harley, BMW, Prius, crotch rocket, whatever - driver is that way - just that fools exist everywhere.
    Just watch out regardless of what it is if it has California plates!
    I have experienced the fools far to many times although I estimate them to be only about 10%. Except when I see California plates I have to assume "fool" from my experience.  

zorba said:
    snake284 said:

You sound like me - I have zero patience for unnecessary NOISE of any/all types. Most especially idiots who want to share their music with everyone in a 3 block radius - even if its music I like.

I can't even tell if it's music I like. All I can hear and feel is the silly thumping!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,668 Senior Member
    My neighbor came screaming over to complain about me drumming too loudly.  Luckily, I was up at 4:30 in the morning.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    sgtrock21 said:

Except when I see California plates I have to assume "fool" from my experience.  

Until proven otherwise. When I see a particularly bad driver, chances are pretty good that there are California plates on the car.

)O(
  • ShannonHayesShannonHayes Posts: 211 Member
    Diver43 said:
    Bamaak, FFL shooter......

Take it to PM.

Linefinder

Isn't it right that everyone knows what was said, seeing the moderators took down the post?

That was a prime example of taking a comment out of context, even blatantly misquoting someone to make a comment fit your agenda.

If @Bamaak had not made his reply, anyone reading would have been lead to believe Teach made a threat to an individual and not a general comment.
    I did t blatantly mislead or misquote. I’m damn sure that what I wrote above is what he stated. Nobody had mentioned riding like an idiot on crotch rockets but he had to make some idiotic rant about people on crotch rockets speeding around and trying to defy physics by occupying the same space at the same time AND then needing shot by the nearest concealed carrier. I wish a mod would post it back up. You disagree with me because he’s your buddy and you’re sticking up for him, fine I can appreciate that. I’ve seen nothing to make me like or care for the guy which is my prerogative. We can disagree as adults and not act like petulant children for one, and two i still stick by what I wrote being right on line with what he said. I’d appreciate if a mod could verify that but understand if they won’t. As for now I’m done in this thread. Agree to disagree.
    FFL I started the thread about bikes, and you are misquoting what Teach said
    Diver43 said:

Those traveling on motor cycles need to follow the same rules.  You don't get to ride on the shoulder, between lanes or lane share (except in California where it is legal)  

Not all motorcycle riders are the type in the video, but it is a rare case that the crazy cyclist is not on a so called crotch rocket.

It won't bring Teach back, but goes to say he is more right than wrong
    There's way more cage drivers that cause the death and injury to bikers and other motorcyclists than so called "crazy cyclists is not on a so called crotch rocket". Not trying to start any shyte, just trying to educate the uneducated
    zorba said:
    sgtrock21 said:

Except when I see California plates I have to assume "fool" from my experience.  

Until proven otherwise. When I see a particularly bad driver, chances are pretty good that there are California plates on the car.

Surprisingly when I moved to Southern California in January 1974 native drivers seemed fairly competent. I had to enter an interstate from the right and 6 lanes later exit from the left in less than a mile. I engaged my left signal and other drivers appeared to know what I was doing and let me do it! In Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and especially Utah signaling was like a boxer telegraphing their punches! The usual idiots will hit the gas and cut you off! I discovered in a short time to avoid the freeways and use the boulevards. By 1976 the natives had figured that out. As a native Oregonian rain was nothing. Californian drivers in the rain was like Pacific Northwest drivers on solid ice!  
    snake284 said:
    Most motor cycle people are good citizens but sometimes you get kids or irresponsible adults and they ruin it for everybody. You get a certain amount of people with the same mentality in vehicles with 4 wheels. While I can't condone teaches or anybodies rants at people I can see what pushes them to do it.

As far as noise pollution, when it comes to our bikes, because of cage drivers and their "Officer, I didn't see the motorcycle" and other not paying attention excuses, Loud Pipes Save Lives!
    sgtrock21 said:
    Californian drivers in the rain was like Pacific Northwest drivers on solid ice!  
    As soon as a micro-drop of mist hits the road, Californians drop to 20 under. They're clueless.

)O(
    edited June 2019 #109
    As far as noise pollution, when it comes to our bikes, because of cage drivers and their "Officer, I didn't see the motorcycle" and other not paying attention excuses, Loud Pipes Save Lives!
    I call BS. You don't hear the damn things until AFTER the bike in question has passed you. Loud pipes wouldn't have made an iota of difference in any of the close calls I had when I rode a street bike.

)O(
    zorba said:
    sgtrock21 said:
    Californian drivers in the rain was like Pacific Northwest drivers on solid ice!  
    As soon as a micro-drop of mist hits the road, Californians drop to 20 under. They're clueless.

It was the opposite in my experience. They maintained their 20 over speed and frequently crashed. of course you were in the Monterey area where common sense driving was still somewhat common while I was in LA County where it never existed! 
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I seem to recall the time a bike with loud pipes scared the ever living crap out of me when they pulled beside me. I reflexively swerved in their direction-- fortunately, I didn't hit them. It would be a shame if their loud exhaust caused an accident.

Beyond that, it is flat out noise pollution and rude. South Park had an episode about that.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,335 Senior Member
    snake284 said:

Sorry, you are mistaken. That loud pipes saying is a wives tale.  The pipe puts the sound behind you.  Do not know where you live, but here in South Florida 80% of accidents involving motor cyclists are the fault of the cyclist.

Cage drivers?  Thats a new one to me.  The majority of accidents involving motor cycles are caused by:  Passing on the right, riding between lanes, lane sharing, then cars not yielding the right of way on lane changes and left turns.
    Numbers may have changed a bit since I was the safety officer for a COCOM, but I doubt by much.  
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,634 Senior Member
    There is no shortage of assholes on the roads these days, irrespective of the number of wheels they choose to travel on.  There are also plenty of good folks traveling the same roads, using the same transportation modes... 

This is like the "tastes great/less filling" commercials back when.  Except for the (driving/riding) assholes, nobody is really wrong, there's plenty right on all sides of the argument... and yet, here we are, arguing just the same.  
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    edited June 2019 #115
    tennmike said:
    That would be WRONG unless the exhaust tips are pointed forward. A cursory glance at how sound propagates will prove that, and I'm ready for the usual suspects to call me a liar on that., too. Loud pipes are nothing more than an overcompensation for something else, unless the ends of the pipes are pointed forwards in the direction of travel.

Simple experiment to PROVE my point. Have someone 100 feet away blow their car horn pointed away from you, then turn around and blow the horn pointed at you. Which is louder? Science says I'm right.
    I RESPECTFULLY disagree. My best friend has been riding for over sixty years, and he very strongly insists that loud pipes save lives, and in my almost thirty years of riding it has rang true, as well. Agree to disagree? And don't get me started on "science always being right".
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,917 Senior Member
    edited June 2019 #116
    Sound waves radiate in all directions. They might be a little stronger in the direction exhaust pipes are aimed, but they still travel 360 degrees. There might be a little exaggeration in the theory that "loud pipes save lives" but I'm sure that if an exhaust system is loud it will be heard front, back and sides. On the issue of bikers causing themselves more death statistics than caused by "cage drivers" I disagree. The vast majority of bikers are responsible riders, at least the ones I know and the many that I see on the road whenever I go riding. If a biker is always driving like an asshole, then he/she is inviting an accident. When I read the newspaper (every day) I always notice articles about motorcycle accidents/deaths. The vast majority of the reported accidents are caused by either the biker losing control of the bike (less) or car drivers making a left turn in front of an oncoming biker (more).
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,068 Senior Member
     The vast majority of the reported accidents are caused by either the biker losing control of the bike (less) or car drivers making a left turn in front of an oncoming biker (more).
    I rode for over 66 years, only had 1 reported accident, lady ran a stop sign on a busy 4 lane hiway, I T boned her at about 50 mph, this of course doesnt count all the wrecks while racing, cow tailing, dirt scrambling etc. 

JAY 
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,747 Senior Member
    Most modern vehicles have interiors to muffle outside noise. Roads are noisy places. Crowded roads are even noisier. So a vehicle with it's windows rolled up and a distracted driver behind the wheel is someone to steer clear of no matter how loud your bike is.
    I've seen my share of distracted drivers oblivious to ambulances wailing their sirens and blowing their horns. It happens!
    Don't be over reliant on a loud bike to keep you safe.
    Just sayin'.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    I relied on my eyes to keep me safe.  I got tired of constantly having to pay more attention to what was behind or next to me than what was in front of me.  Takes away all the enjoyment and adds a lot of extra stress.  If I didnt live in a big city I would probably still have a bike or two.  At least in my truck I worry less about getting hit.