Home Main Category Clubhouse

Two good series to watch Chernobyl and Killing Eve!

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,493 Senior Member
edited May 2019 in Clubhouse #1
Wife and I just finished watching season two of Killing Eve. The first season is pretty good, season two was great!  Jodie Comer as Villanelle a sycophantic hit women for hire just has me laughing my rear end off.  Her facial expressions and demeanor are unlike anything I've ever seen in a character.  She's fantastic.  Great series, season 3 is already been given the green light.

We started watching Chernobyl and we're caught up, only three episodes to date.  I'm not sure exactly how factual this series is about the Chernobyl nuclear disaster but I'm sure it pretty darn close to what happened.  The Soviets came within a whisker of wiping out over half of Europe.   So far it's been really good and eye opening!   

You'll enjoy them both!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,747 Senior Member
    I've heard of a Grenoble in France. Are you talking about the Chernobyl disaster? Is Grenoble what they call it over there?

I tried watching Killing Eve but I started in on it way too late. I just can't seem to get onboard. Maybe, I'll give another try down the road. I have to watch new shows from the start or they just don't make much sense to me.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,493 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    I've heard of a Grenoble in France. Are you talking about the Chernobyl disaster? Is Grenoble what they call it over there?

I tried watching Killing Eve but I started in on it way too late. I just can't seem to get onboard. Maybe, I'll give another try down the road. I have to watch new shows from the start or they just don't make much sense to me.
    Yes, the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in USSR.  Very good so far

Season two of Killing Eve is way better than season 1.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,747 Senior Member
    Yeah, I've seen quite a few documentaries about Chernobyl. It was really bad back then and that area surrounding it is still contaminated.
    They even made a horror movie using Chernobyl as a backdrop. It's called Chernobyl Diaries, lots of fun. The real Chernobyl event not so much. I'll try and watch this new show from the start. It basically just started, right?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    Yeah, I've seen quite a few documentaries about Chernobyl. It was really bad back then and that area surrounding it is still contaminated.
    They even made a horror movie using Chernobyl as a backdrop. It's called Chernobyl Diaries, lots of fun. The real Chernobyl event not so much. I'll try and watch this new show from the start. It basically just started, right?
    Yep just three episodes so far, looking forward to next weeks. 

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,190 Senior Member
    I have been watching Chernobyl...and studied up on it some years back...The movie is pretty much spot on with what actually occurred...there is some journalist license with the people involved...to say it was a goat rope of monumental proportions would be an understatement...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    From the year it happened until I retired from TVA nuclear power, I had yearly training with updates on the Chernobyl accident that was as accidental as suck starting a pump shotgun with your big toe pulling the trigger. It was NOT anything that should ever be called an accident. It was nothing less than arrogant fools doing something that would have been dangerous under the BEST of conditions, and they let that point pass before starting the test when they knew they were WAY OUTSIDE THE TESTING PARAMETER CRITERIA. And just so y'all know, that explosion that ripped the plant apart was a STEAM explosion in the graphite reactor cooling piping. Nothing more; nothing less. 1,400/1 expansion ratio when water turns to steam instantaneously will move some heavy equipment.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    I'm really looking forward to seeing how it plays out.  Thank goodness, Russia had some top nuclear engineers and physicist's who weren't political, understood the real trouble and we're able to work their way through chaos and figure it out!  It could have gone in a totally different direction killing most of Europe and then who knows what!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it plays out.  Thank goodness, Russia had some top nuclear engineers and physicist's who weren't political, understood the real trouble and we're able to work their way through chaos and figure it out!  It could have gone in a totally different direction killing most of Europe and then who knows what!
    I don't know who is airing the series, but I can give you the short and dirty version of the test and subsequent events.
    The test in question was a stupid one. The engineers wanted to see how long power could be generated after a reactor trip. That is a stupid test as the equipment in that antiquated reactor design was not meant to do that, nor are power reactors built in general meant to do that. And the reason for that is that VERY BAD and unpredictable things happen to a reactor that is tripped and you rapidly cool it down by using the residual heat to power the generator. Think of throwing a bucket of gasoline on a fire, and you're getting close.
    Water moderates (slows down the neutrons so they can make a continuous and TIGHTLY CONTROLLED chain reaction. Rapid cooling of the moderator water slows down the neutrons too quickly, and in the graphite reactor core reactor design that is like cutting the brake lines on your car while firewalling the acceleator pedal. Water got so hot it flashed to steam in the piping, water hammer occurred in many of the cooling pipes and they exploded and then the water in the pipes exploded in an massive steam explosion.
    Why did this happen? The test was to commence immediately after manual reactor trip. That didn't happen. Enough time passed while the engineers diddled around to have the reactor WAY OUTSIDE the test parameter criteria, criteria that was already very sketchy at best. And when the test started, the 'accident' was a foregone conclusion and result of arrogance, IGNORANCE, failure to follow test procedure (an IDIOTIC TEST PROCEDURE), and then not realizing how badly they'd messed up until there was NO WAY TO STOP a reactor that went 'prompt critical' and was at that point far beyond their control to shut down. Stuff the dynamite back in the stick while it's exploding would be about the same situation.
    ― Douglas Adams
    edited May 2019 #10
    The real tragedy, for me, at any rate, is the number of firefighters who were killed blundering into a scene that they should have known about...they should have been running away screaming....
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I recently watched a long interview with a "pro-nuke" power activist. He repeated numerous times how Chernobyl and Three Mile Island killed nuclear generated electricity in the US. People still cannot get over the fear generated 40 years ago. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

My youngest son is a submariner...a Nuclear Propulsion Officer who graduated from the Naval Academy in 2009...he delights in blowing the "nuclear power is dead" crowd out of the water...An "environmentalist" family member was going on about how the Fukishima disaster was killing the oceans and got ripped to shreds by a guy who forgot more about nukes than the family member ever knew...the conversation started with "It's on the internet, it must be true" and went downhill from there..
    Underwater volcanoes and 'black smokers' on the ocean floor spew nuclear material constantly into the ocean. Hate to break the news, but a large portion of radionuclides are water soluble, and are removed the in the same process as other minerals dissolved in water.  A large land based volcano that erupts does the same thing. And if one thinks their 'Gods of Government' are gonna come clean with THAT information, then they are a bit gullible and way too trusting of their 'so called leaders'.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Jayhawker said:
    The real tragedy, for me, at any rate, is the number of firefighters who were killed blundering into a scene that they should have known about...they should have been running away screaming....
    Very true, the first episode really focused on the firefighters.  They had no idea they would all die within days!  Just doing their jobs and following orders!

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,141 Senior Member
    My wife and I have been watching "Chernobyl" as well - very interesting!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(