Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

An apology and a realignment

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,750 Senior Member
I have been combative on this forum, and I apologize for it.  You all know what pushes my buttons, and that sometimes leads to me making rude and offensive comments.  So I'll stay off the Politics forum for as long as I can, and if I ever stray, I'll be respectful.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    Nicely Done Gene...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Southwest PAPosts: 2,907 Senior Member
    That goes a long way with me Gene. I have had to make the same "apology" to a few on here when I became a little over-zealous in my reactions.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    It's an easy place to get PO'd.
    It seems like we're constantly under assault as gun owners, professionals, political affiliates, motorists, etcetera enumerated. It can become instinctive to see each other as extensions of media misinformation, sensationalism, disingenuous spin, clever manipulation of partial facts, and countless wrongful portrayals of almost everything. Media consolidation, and conversion to infotainment has not been good to us.

It's easy to shell out opinion and editorial with the push of a button at a moments convenience without careful thought as to perception and entire content. 

A moments pause. The type that often accompanies face to face debate is never a bad idea.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    I must have missed it Gene.  While we may not always agree, even be involved in a heated discussion, I have never seen you get really out of line.  If you did, uour among friends, its OK
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    edited June 2019 #6
    Don't worry about it Gene - we're all friends here even if we disagree sometimes. I enjoy your posts, even the ones I disagree with!
    I've been noted to be grumpy a time or two myself...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    As a person ages, he reflects back on the things he was wrong about as a youth, and comes to think that it is up to him to keep younger or less experienced people from making the same mistakes. The problem is that we don't always remember how resistant we were, ourselves, to the advice of older folks. Besides that, old farts are wrong sometimes, just like everyone else - it just hasn't been proven to them, yet.

Mostly, people just do whatever they want to do, until something stops them in their tracks. We learn from nothing as well as we learn from our own failures, and old farts just have to accept that. We would all be wiser to just save our breath until somebody asks a question, because that is really the only time a person is actually listening. It's very hard to watch people you care about make bad decisions, but those decisions are theirs to make.
  • ShannonHayesShannonHayes Posts: 211 Member
    Myself, I haven't read anything I would consider rude or out of line that was posted by you. I enjoy these G&A forums, and think that it is great that, for the most part, we can all discuss things, and all get along, even when we disagree, without reprisal from moderators and without causing a big brouhaha.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    edited June 2019 #9
    The politics forum can be a great place to vent...

Or become endlessly frustrated.

We all have opinions that have taken years to form and so we hang on to them dearly. When those opinions are challenged, we can get pretty mad.
    For the record Gene, I've never been offended by anything you've posted (whether I agreed with it or not) . You're Aces in my book.
    👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I have been on this forum for what will be 17 years this summer. My first memories here was Gene and Doctor Who arguing about something that I can't seem to recall now. Regardless, reading their argument drew me into this place and I have been a member ever since.

Arguments aren't always a bad thing. I have read heated threads where I was agreeing with both sides of the conversation! I still do.

Yea Gene... you and the rest of us all know your buttons. Sometimes the nasty comes out of all of us. I have to say that I hope you do not refrain from 2A/politics topics in the future. There are extremes in the debates here and you tend to be a sound voice of moderation that is very welcome... as long as it isn't your "button" issues. I have enjoyed your company over the last 17 years and it would be a damn shame to see you walk away. Your apology shows that you are a man of honor and humility-- traits of a gentleman.

Please carry on.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine