Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Coming soon to California

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberKaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member

Thirty-one people were arrested in Mombasa on Monday for being in possession of plastic bags.

A vehicle ferrying the bags without a permit was also impounded.

Plastic bags were banned in Kenya with effect from August 28, with exceptions given for garbage bin liners and those used for packaging goods in industries.

The individuals were arrested in a crackdown by National Environment Management Authority and Mombasa County Inspectorate Department.

Nema enforcement officer Robert Orina said the team conducted the crackdown in Majengo Market and Tudor.

He said two of those arrested were suppliers of the banned bags.

This is a breakthrough as we have had a successful crackdown. For the last two weeks Nema and the county government have been able to arrest traders [who are still] using the banned plastic bags,” Mr Orina said.

He said plastic carrier bags were a menace in Mombasa and caused pollution.

Some of the impounded plastic bags, he said, came from Uganda.

“We are following leads and tracking the dealers. We are going to work day and night to rid Mombasa and the entire country of plastic bags,” he said.

https://www.nation.co.ke/counties/mombasa/Nema-arrests-31-in-Mombasa-banned-plastic-bags/1954178-4311546-8f8jqz/index.html

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 898 Senior Member
    Weren’t we told plastic was better for the environment?  You know it saves trees.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Kenyan police are treating plastic bags like it’s kilos of heroin. I’m sure they have better ways of spending their resources. 

They even pose around the contraband like American cops. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 898 Senior Member
    What is the street value of a kilo of plastic bags in Kenya?
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    There’s already a black market, complete with smugglers, dealers, and buyers. Just like any other prohibited item, it’s valuable enough to be worth the risk. 

Adam J. McCleod

• NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    I went to Mombasa and did not end up doing the Mombasa two----step! o:)
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Paper bags are made from a renewable and biodegradable source. The plastic bags end up in streams and rivers that dump the plastic bags into the ocean. I guess they're trying to stop that 'into the ocean' thing. If that's it, then I don't see a problem.

Speaking of California, those eco-idiots out there leave more plastic trash on the beaches than can be picked up when they have a rally to 'save the oceans'. Ecologists, my shiny hiney. They're nothing but entitled little trash spreaders.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    It's becoming difficult for me to imagine the hardship of a world without plastic.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    This is the "progress" that John Henry Patterson hunted down and killed The Ghost and the Darkness to make way for.  Had he known this was coming, he'd have probably burned down his bridge pilings.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Plastic bags -- everyone needs an enemy.

Besides, "... the fish love it. It's good for their tummies."

Looks like a gross overreaction to me but then I don't have to live there.
    Let's see, over here we have the war on guns, the war on drugs, the war on pollution, the war on plastic bags... What else should we declare war on?
    Yeah know, building a Utopia at the cost of one freedom at time -- Sounds expensive and not very utopian!
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    Looks like a gross overreaction to me but then I don't have to live there.
    Let's see, over here we have the war on guns, the war on drugs, the war on pollution, the war on plastic bags... What else should we declare war on?
    Yeah know, building a Utopia at the cost of one freedom at time -- Sounds expensive and not very utopian!

Procreation. None of these "wars" are winnable as long as we have humans breeding. 

The eco-freaks have flat out said they want to kill off half the planet...I'm guessing it is the half that agrees with them. 

Adam J. McCleod

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member North DakotaPosts: 2,985 Senior Member
    War on plastic straws.