Home Main Category Clubhouse

Members getting along

Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors MemberPosts: 326 Member
I first found this site when it was part of the Florida Sportsman forum, and have been coming back here since. I have been around for the server crashes and changed screen names almost every time. I have also changed my screen name when changing my IP. Mostly because I can't keep up with passwords etc. and it's easier to start over.

The recent banning of Teach got me thinking about the interactions on all of the different  forums I frequent and it is pretty apparent that personal attacks are the primary reason for banning on almost every site.

This site is one of the best behaved I have visited regularly, and I was truly surprised by his banning- I guess his offending posts were removed before I saw them. That said- his knowledge and presence will be missed as are so many of the old timers no longer with us. Many sites have lost members due to the vitriolic politics of today.

If anyone notices my numerous posts this morning- it's been pouring rain outside since I got up at 6, rain is letting up and I need to go pick todays crop from the garden, check my hog trap, and ride the property. 

Let's all get along.

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
    I left Florida Sportsman years ago to come here. That place was/is toxic!!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    I left Florida Sportsman years ago to come here. That place was/is toxic!!
    Yup, I was there to. Lots of petty bickering back and forth. Didn't like it so I left.
    Found a home here so I stayed.
    To GO's OP
    Let's all get along.

Well said 👍

Here's to many more years.🍺

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Lake County, FloridaPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
    It takes a while but most of us get beaten into submission eventually. :#
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
    I think if everyone had 4 older brothers they would be used to a little ribbing and not get a sandy clam over every perceived slight..........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    Don't tell me what to do
    You're not the boss of me.

;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Iffin you don't like my .270, my 94 Winchester, or my barrel breakin procedure well just go sit on this and spin! LOL! Just kidding. We all have opinions which we are entitled to. But we need to remember to allow others to have theirs.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    It takes a while but most of us get beaten into submission eventually. :#
    Actually Noel the democrats are the old commies. They just  changed their approach to get into our society. But they really haven't changed anything.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

Speaking of the old Florida Sportsman Forum, anyone remember FF5 on the fly fishing board?  That guy would go out of his way to show his ignorance and insult someone all the time.  I don't miss him.

As for this forum, I occasionally get my feathers riled, but don't let it bother me for long.  I haven't met everyone, but of those that I have I can vouch for their good character.  Some are good friends with whom I shared some great experiences in the field.  Some have been honored guests in my home, and I've been guests in theirs.  I think it helps keep me sane, if possible.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Lake County, FloridaPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Actually Noel the democrats are the old commies. They just  changed their approach to get into our society. But they really haven't changed anything.
    You are absolutely right. I only say "new communists" because they're out in the open about it now. No more hiding in the shadows, but they're been at it at least since Woodrow Wilson, and probably much longer. Slavery and lynch mobs are not exactly freedom promoting ideas.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    I first found this site when it was part of the Florida Sportsman forum, and have been coming back here since. I have been around for the server crashes and changed screen names almost every time. I have also changed my screen name when changing my IP. Mostly because I can't keep up with passwords etc. and it's easier to start over.

The recent banning of Teach got me thinking about the interactions on all of the different  forums I frequent and it is pretty apparent that personal attacks are the primary reason for banning on almost every site.

This site is one of the best behaved I have visited regularly, and I was truly surprised by his banning- I guess his offending posts were removed before I saw them. That said- his knowledge and presence will be missed as are so many of the old timers no longer with us. Many sites have lost members due to the vitriolic politics of today.

If anyone notices my numerous posts this morning- it's been pouring rain outside since I got up at 6, rain is letting up and I need to go pick todays crop from the garden, check my hog trap, and ride the property. 

Let's all get along.
    What were your previous screen names, if I may ask? No particular reason, I just wonder what happens to some folks when their name stops showing up in threads.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    My screen name has always been what it is now.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Swampland, FLAPosts: 5,100 Senior Member
    What were your previous screen names, if I may ask? No particular reason, I just wonder what happens to some folks when their name stops showing up in threads.
    I was on FS  since it started, around 97 - 99, I was mostly on the spearfishing forum, my screen name was FISHAWK , I haven't  been on it for at least 7 years.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    jaywapti said:
    I was on FS  since it started, around 97 - 99, I was mostly on the spearfishing forum, my screen name was FISHAWK , I haven't  been on it for at least 7 years.

JAY
    I meant on just the G&A forum here, I was afraid to go over to the FS forum when I first got on here
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I'm guessing sometime between 2003 & 2005, always been Jaywapti , and yes I know it should be spelled Jaywapiti

Jay
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
    I didn't even think of going on FS even while living in Florida 
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,821 Senior Member
    When I first became a moderator here, I had to occasionally go to the FF Off-Topic board to get one or two of our members released from jail there. 

Boy, those guys never did forgive Dan Johnson for banning Benjo and not releasing him in a prisoner exchange. :D
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Don't tell me what to do
    You're not the boss of me.

;)

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    jaywapti said:

JAY
    Jay, YOU were FISHAWK?  I remember you on there.

Remember the young guy from Sunny Isles that knew EVERYTHING about catching Snook ?  and Gary?  talk about a stuck up hateful group
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    edited June 2019 #21
    I remember them beating up on a kid about 12 years old or so for keeping a 10 1/2 lb. bass as a trophy. They said he had ruined the fishing in the lake and killed the trophy brood stock. The lake was a decent sized one.

I pointed out that at that size a female bass had bred multiple times in multiple years so she had well and truly passed on her genes. Also that the 3 to 5 lb. bass they said were okay to remove were the real brood stock, and one or five of those could become a trophy.

It wasn't well received. 
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 326 Member
    I think a lot of the hateful folks have migrated to the Hull Truth boating site.
     Old Screen names- hmmmm- Bassman, Folly Basser, Bad Habit, Dockman and a couple others, don't remember which and where. Used to be a DoD nuke worker- is the other nuke guy still here- Tennmike maybe?
    Diver43 said

Remember the young guy from Sunny Isles that knew EVERYTHING about catching Snook ?  and Gary?  talk about a stuck up hateful group
    Ron , what was your name ?, I vaguely remember him, if were talking about the same one he was really obnoxious. At first it was a good forum, than it became a battleground of "I know it all and you dont know jack **** "

JAY
    edited June 2019 #24
    One of the funniest things I've seen here regarding FFOT.........

During the Benjo incident one of FFOT's mods threatened to ban Dan J. Dan calmly pointed out that a mod can't ban a mod, much less an admin, but the reverse wasn't true, and to please notice that Marshall wasn't his " official" title.

That ended that conversation.

Dan had class, always. But could wield a club like the Hammer of Thor when the occasion required.

Mike
    N454casull
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    Is the Gary folks are referring to Gary S. Collecchio?

He's not even on FS Forum now, even though he'd tell you it was partially his idea, or some such.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    jaywapti said:
    Diver43 said

Ron , what was your name ?, I vaguely remember him, if were talking about the same one he was really obnoxious. At first it was a good forum, than it became a battleground of "I know it all and you dont know jack **** "

JAY
    Started forum life as Diver41

Thats the guy, Gary Collechio was another that was a bit full of himself, even if he was a professional guide
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Is the Gary folks are referring to Gary S. Collecchio?

He's not even on FS Forum now, even though he'd tell you it was partially his idea, or some such.
    Wow, hadn't heard or thought of that name for years.....and years.

Yep,he was a bit full of himself. Not uncommon though on that board.

One of their mods got banned for figuring out a way to post under another active members name. 

Mike
    N454casull
    Yeah I knew Gary in the early 2000s,  he lived on the west coast N of Naples, had a beautiful house on a canal And a 18' or 20' Grady White he was a hellofa good fisherman. I went to his birthday partys, he was a bit full of himself and he was I think an environmental scientist 

JAY 
    I remember him coming on this forum after the first or second crash when FS Forum was the first to get restored and him basically telling us that we had to know our place in the forum pecking order. 
    I'm just here for snark.