Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Florida Folks, heads up

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberLiving in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
WESH 2 news in Orlando the other day reported an antigun group is trying to get an amendment on the 2020 ballot to outlaw "assault weapons." If it passes, a ban I  Florida would be truly Constitutional until overturned.

On a similar note, WESH was running a poll one people were against the measure 52% to 48%. An amendment in FL needs 60% to pass. And Orlando and its viewing area is pretty purple for the most part. What's interesting is they said the poll had gotten the most response in recent station history. The margin was only 20 votes. If 20 votes are 4% of the respondents, then only 500 people had called in.

Makes you wonder how many call in to other polls.
I'm just here for snark.

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    Polling voluntary respondents only reveals an estimate of how many activists are listening to a broadcast, and inspired enough to respond. Designing and executing an 'honest' poll is just as elusive as designing a lie detector test that would meet the standards for legal evidence. People will lie or guess at the 'correct' answer, for a dozen different reasons, and may not even realize it. Those same people may give different answers, the next day, or on election day. I suspect that the margin of error estimates are really much lower than the claims they make.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
    That's why I voted for DeSantis! I doubt he's let that happen. I'd be sweating it if Gullem got elected!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    That's why I voted for DeSantis! I doubt he's let that happen. I'd be sweating it if Gullem got elected!
    Very much agree. I was very concerned after the Parkland shootings.  Several mayors started a deal to ignore the Florida law that cities may not make ordinances that go against State Law, Gillum was one that was behind it, he was warned that he would be removed from office, fined and jailed if he proceeded.  Think there was 7 mayors warned.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Only problem is this is a Constitutional Amendment on the general ballot
     Not sure the governor can really stop it.

I'll come out and admit I oppose it. Not just because of the subject, but also because I think statutory and regulatory rules are the jurisdiction of the legislature and the appropriate agencies. Same reason I was against the pig pen rule and other measures. 
    I'm just here for snark.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    The ninth threw out prop 287 in Commiefornia (That wouldn't get passed today), something similar would probably happen here - I hope! Otherwise, another move may be in the offing...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Lake County, FloridaPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
    Constitutional Amendments can overturn or supersede any act by the legislature. It worries me, and after Parkland all Florida gun owners should be worried.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    Constitutional Amendments can overturn or supersede any act by the legislature. It worries me, and after Parkland all Florida gun owners should be worried.
    Exactly!  Just remember, it needs a 60% majority to win. That gives a little bit of relief.

Just a little.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Lake County, FloridaPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
    Exactly!  Just remember, it needs a 60% majority to win. That gives a little bit of relief.

Just a little.
    Yes, that is a little comfort, but not much. Leftist enthusiasm for social issues is much more impressive than with conservatives. There's a higher number of registered dems in Florida than reps, so we have a taller hill to climb.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Yep. But if they only get 59%....
    I'm just here for snark.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 898 Senior Member
    Or 51%
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
    Yep. But if they only get 59%....
    If they got 59% I really would start worrying about the next try.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Oh, absolutely.  It's just that it would at least be forestalled. 

Here's an article from the Slantinel.  (I call it that because it is.)  It points out that they still need 663,000+ signatures to get it on the ballot if the State Supreme Court says it passes muster. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-assault-weapons-ban-supreme-court-20190610-6ractebx4jbmlcehsgnff66q6e-story.html

Oh, and fun activity: find out how one of the people interviewed twisted the Second Amendment. 

I'm just here for snark.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    edited June 2019 #14
    If people would do a bit of research rather than parroting the propaganda they would learn that 'A well regulated militia'=well TRAINED, especially in the use of weapons. 
    edited June 2019 #15
    Oh, absolutely.  It's just that it would at least be forestalled. 

Here's an article from the Slantinel.  (I call it that because it is.)  It points out that they still need 663,000+ signatures to get it on the ballot if the State Supreme Court says it passes muster. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-assault-weapons-ban-supreme-court-20190610-6ractebx4jbmlcehsgnff66q6e-story.html

Oh, and fun activity: find out how one of the people interviewed twisted the Second Amendment. 

I've been calling it the Slantinel for years, since moving to Orlando in 1995 and receiving a daily dose of that paper. What a dimwit that said the 2A says guns should be well regulated. See how stupid these people are and why I posted "Dear Amy" on the other thread?

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    edited June 2019 #16
    Oh, I know that there's a bunch of less intelligent ones. And their numbers make them worrisome. 

But I worry more about the ones pulling the strings. They plan.

The Slantinel has had that name for decades. Other one is the Orange County Mullet Wrapper.
    I'm just here for snark.
    Oh, I know that there's a bunch of less intelligent ones. And their numbers make them worrisome. 

But I worry more about the ones pulling the strings. They plan.

The Slantinel has had that name for decades. Other one is the Orange County Mullet Wrapper.
    LOL, I haven't heard the mullet wrapper one. I picked up the Slantinel name from someone, somewhere along the line after 1995.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    My Dad and his friends used those names 40 years ago, and I don't think they were new then!
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
    Milwaukee had two left leaning papers, The Journal and The Sentinel. They merged into one, The Journal/Sentinel, but I call it the Urinal Scent!!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    Amendments can be a 2 edged sword - California's property tax situation is about the best in the nation thanx to 1978's Prop 13 that the Liberals have been screaming about ever since. And that's about the ONLY good thing left about that state...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(