Home Main Category General Firearms

Got to love my gunsmiths attention to detail

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,266 Senior Member
Re-barreling my custom Tikka .243 win rifle to a 6.5 Creedmoor.  The .243 barrel was shot out and the throat was fire cracked so I decided to go with the 6.5.  I'd been itching to make the change for a few years but waited on the barrel to start to go.  My gunsmith called me today.  He said the new SS match KP barrel arrived and he was starting my build. 

Before starting the build he wanted to go over the build to make sure he ordered the correct barrel and twist rate.  He double check the barrel spec's.  We discussed bullet types and bullet weights I'd be shooting.  Re-verifying the barrel contour, length and the thread type for the muzzle brake.

The build was as we discussed when I sent him my rifle. I appreciated the fact he called to double check before starting.

Going with a 22" #4 contour with a 1:8 twist SS KP barrel and adding Chad's cathedral muzzle brake, all finished in Cerekote flat dark earth.

Hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week and on the range by Sat morning.
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,516 Senior Member
    Jeff,

You can't do it that fast.

Get it end of the week? Shooting Saturday morning?

That leaves no time for chipmunks, campfires, or loincloths.

Or barrel break-in.

I strongly recommend you reign in your enthusiasm. 

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,266 Senior Member
    Jeff,

Or barrel break-in.

Mike

You’re probably right put the cart before the horse. I’ve got 3000 rounds for the barrel breakin😂. 

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,018 Senior Member
    How many round through your .243?  Just curious. Didn’t think it was that old. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    How many round through your .243?  Just curious. Didn’t think it was that old. 
    It had almost 1700 rounds through it. 

When my buddy came out for spring turkey hunting he brought his new USB bore scope. I decided to take a look and that’s when we saw the fire cracking in the throat.

It still shot well, however I’d been looking to make the change and this gave me my reason. Yeah, I thin reason but all I needed. 

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,664 Senior Member
    You had best spend that slack time catching your requsite 3 Chipmunks...don't forget...MALE Chipmunks....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    I read somewhere some people eat those chipmunks down that way.
    As Jayhawk said start "NOW"
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,490 Senior Member
    Re-barreling my custom Tikka .243 win rifle to a 6.5 Creedmoor.  The .243 barrel was shot out and the throat was fire cracked so I decided to go with the 6.5.  I'd been itching to make the change for a few years but waited on the barrel to start to go.  My gunsmith called me today.  He said the new SS match KP barrel arrived and he was starting my build. 

Before starting the build he wanted to go over the build to make sure he ordered the correct barrel and twist rate.  He double check the barrel spec's.  We discussed bullet types and bullet weights I'd be shooting.  Re-verifying the barrel contour, length and the thread type for the muzzle brake.

The build was as we discussed when I sent him my rifle. I appreciated the fact he called to double check before starting.

Going with a 22" #4 contour with a 1:8 twist SS KP barrel and adding Chad's cathedral muzzle brake, all finished in Cerekote flat dark earth.

Hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week and on the range by Sat morning.
    Who do you use? I am looking for a good gunsmith in the Dallas area.
    edited June 2019 #9
    For this project I'm using Chad Dixon at LongRifles Inc in Sturgis SD as he built the original rifle.  For the Dallas area Gene Williams is the best I've used.  His work is flawless! He's in the Princeton area.  PM me for his number if you're interested.

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,890 Senior Member
    Pics, or it didn't happen. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    I received an email today with a picture update.  Waiting on the brake and finishing.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Very nice project. Yes, having a couple of good, reliable and professional gunsmiths in your contacts is essential!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Jeff,

Or barrel break-in.

Mike

Don't worry about the Chipmunks. I hear they're busy singing in Las Vegas. Just get you about 20 rounds of David Tubbs Fire Lap rounds.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,374 Senior Member
    snake284 said: Just get you about 20 rounds of David Tubbs Fire Lap rounds.
    The man just paid for a match grade barrel, why in the HELL would he want to ruin it with his first 20 rounds?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,018 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    snake284 said: Just get you about 20 rounds of David Tubbs Fire Lap rounds.
    The man just paid for a match grade barrel, why in the HELL would he want to ruin it with his first 20 rounds?
    Why ask why?  The source shoots a .270 Winchester. 

Nothing more need be said. 

😎
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,374 Senior Member
    touche'
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,656 Senior Member
    BAM!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Don't forget the copper cleaner and be sure to clean after each round for the first 5 rounds and then go to cleaning after every five rounds after that.

Let us have a range report to see if you ever got 'er on paper.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    Don't worry about the Chipmunks. I hear they're busy singing in Las Vegas. Just get you about 20 rounds of David Tubbs Fire Lap rounds.
    The first thing any barrel manufacturer will tell you, if you shoot firelapping bullets you'll void the warranty of the barrel. 

My new barrel will be a KP barrel and this brings out an interesting point about hand lapping barrels.  KP barrels does not hand-lap their barrels unless a customer absolutely insists.  I had a great conversation with the owner.  KP barrels have ruled the .50 cal competition for decades.  Years ago they started making match grade barrels for all the different calibers and contours.

The reason they don't lap their barrels are two fold.  KP uses state of the art equipment to build their barrels, they can do any bore diameter or twist rate to .000x.  Under high magnification bore scopes they don't see a need to lap them.  Also, barrels that are lapped, they saw no way of actually getting all of the lapping compound out of the barrels.  The high mag  bore scope always showed traces of lapping compound.  

Each bullet fired was actually performing a lighter version of the fire lapping process.  

My rifle builder Chad Dixon pretty much exclusively uses KP barrels unless his customer insists on another brand.  Chad builds the US Olympic teams rifles.  He uses state of the art CNC equipment for most of his work.  His work and attention to detail are flawless.  My other barrel shot lights out and I know this one will to.  

Chad will tell you when you get your rifle back, just shoot it!

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,490 Senior Member
    For this project I'm using Chad Dixon at LongRifles Inc in Sturgis SD as he built the original rifle.  For the Dallas area Gene Williams is the best I've used.  His work is flawless! He's in the Princeton area.  PM me for his number if you're interested.
    Thank you,