Home Main Category Clubhouse

Danner boots recrafting service: wow!

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberEastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
edited June 2019 in Clubhouse #1
Sometimes, you just gotta pay a little more to get a little more.  Like most boot makers, Danner offers several boot lines that run the scale in price.  Some, like my Pronghorns, are foreign made, cheaper and effectively disposable.  They also offer some that are USA-made, better quality and re-craftable when time and use finally takes its toll on them.  For my regular most-season hunting boot, I chose the latter a few years back in the form of the Canadian 600G Thinsulate-insulated boot.

After a few years of hard hunting, the boots finally stared looking the part, with plenty of superficial wear.  But, I had to really stop using them when, after many trails hiked and Western mountains climbed, the sole started to delaminate from the last at the toes.  The drooping rubber was looking to catch a rock and cause a bad spill.

For $143 (less than 1/3 the cost of replacing them at retail), Danner completely re-soled, repaired and refinished them.  The pics they sent of their work is pretty impressive.  While they can't fix all the leather erosion around the toe, they sure did one heck of a job sprucing them up in addition to resetting the miles on the soles.  They also sent a brand new set of laces.

Here are the before and after pics that they emailed me:

It's good to know we still have some fine companies that do good, old fashioned work for a living.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,774 Senior Member
    I have debated having my Red Wings resoled, but I think the leather is too far worn to really be worth the cost.  That being said, I have over 7500 work hours on them, which is far more than I ever got out of a set of cheap work boots.

I have been torn on which direction to go for new work boots.  While I like the ones I have, I have not checked to see if they are even available still.  When I got them they were one of two offerings from Red Wings that were made here with material from here.  I have heard some good things about Danner and I need to check their work boot lines for what is made here.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    edited June 2019 #3
    7500 hours on the hoof for *any* work boot in a real work application is pretty danged good.  I have only ever used Danner's hunting/field offerings, but been pretty impressed (though I have zero clue how many miles are on them).  Even the cheaper, imported Pronghorns have held up great. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,821 Senior Member
    I have a pair of Pronghorns I bought when they were still made in the USA. Right out of the box they were the most comfortable footwear I've ever owned. The current crop of Chinese-made are a very poor imitation of the original.

Mine have held up very well to 15 years of hard use, but they are showing their age. I was very disappointed to learn Danner doesn't rework this line.

I will buy another pair of Danners, but it won't, unfortunately, be Pronghorns.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
    I loved my Danners!! Only boot that I could walk in all day, and still keep my feet warm!
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,774 Senior Member

8", 200 gram thinsulate, Gore-Tex lined work boot.  Well worth the $300 they cost when new.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    edited June 2019 #8
    I have several pair of Danners and they have served me well for many years.  One pair is starting to delaminate the soles so I’m glad you are happy with their service.  Timely post.  

The only pair of boots I like slightly better than Danners, and they are also 100% hand made in America, is Whites.  Everyone that appreciates/needs good boots and don’t want to buy disposable should at some point put a pair of Whites on.  Probably the last pair of boots you’ll ever buy but Danners are right up there.  

It’s just that for me they make their boots just a hair slim and I have to get a EE size to fit.  Whites is a touch more generous with their leather/lasts.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    Some years back I paid $300.00 + for a pair of Filson Uplander boots...While Filson products are known for durability, the boots didn't make it... comfortable but they lasted 3 seasons..the seam on the moccasin toe unraveled then the sole started coming apart at the toe....ended up becoming chew toys for a puppy...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    Some years back I paid $300.00 + for a pair of Filson Uplander boots...While Filson products are known for durability, the boots didn't make it... comfortable but they lasted 3 seasons..the seam on the moccasin toe unraveled then the sole started coming apart at the toe....ended up becoming chew toys for a puppy...
    Wow I’m shocked at that one.  Do you know who made the boots for them?  US made?  Just curious...
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    The latest version is apparently made by Whites... can't say who made them when I got mine...I do know they have added a hundred bucks to the msrp...475.00
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Footwear is definitely one of those areas where you are almost compelled to try and find out.  Those cheaper, imported Pronghorns I have?  Incredibly comfortable and have help up extremely well.  The soles, while moulded and not re-craftable, are going quite strong.  I wish that the Gore-Tex ran all the way up the shanks, but for their price, they have exceeded expectations.

Other boots that I’ve owned simply sucked for what I paid for them.  You live, you learn, I guess.
    Jayhawker said:
    The latest version is apparently made by Whites... can't say who made them when I got mine...I do know they have added a hundred bucks to the msrp...475.00
    I’ve never had any luck with Moc toed work/hunting boots so I tend to avoid them.  All my boots are plain toe.  They seem to hold up better/longer.  I’ll take that back, I have a pair of Gokey Moc toed heavy bullhide snake boots that have managed to stick around for years but it’s not like they see a ton of mileage.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    Footwear is definitely one of those areas where you are almost compelled to try and find out.  Those cheaper, imported Pronghorns I have?  Incredibly comfortable and have help up extremely well.  The soles, while moulded and not re-craftable, are going quite strong.  I wish that the Gore-Tex ran all the way up the shanks, but for their price, they have exceeded expectations.

Other boots that I’ve owned simply sucked for what I paid for them.  You live, you learn, I guess.
    Trying "good" boots gets expensive quick, I actually bought my current and first pair of Pronghorns and only walked on a treadmill with them to get ready for my first elk hunt, figured if they didn't work for me I would still have time to try another pair/brand, they have been good so far, I have bought a pair for each of my two oldest sons once their feet quit growing and they like them a lot. I have had a couple of patients spend the money on White boots, they did a lot of walking on concrete all day at box store that sells building supplies, they were the best in his opinion, he liked Vasquez too
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    You guys got me motivated. Mine are the made in USA goodins. The leather was gettin scuffed up I noticed well camping. So I cleaned it up with some Ballistol. I'll paste wax em after they dry.
    That should keep the water off of them for a good bit.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    Rebuildable boots are worth every penny! I'm a Lowa fanboy myself, and my non-rebuildable Renegade GTX Pros are holding strong at 5 years, but when they give up the ghost I'll be forking out the money for higher end Danners or Lowas. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski