Home Main Category Hunting

# 3

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberKaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
edited July 2019 in Hunting #1
Smallish female...I gotta be putting a dent in the pack. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Nice job!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,048 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #3
    👍🏻
    The fawns are starting to drop. So, we are vigilantly keeping our eyes out for yotes. 

A nearby ranch has trapped 30+ yotes in the last 2 months. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Wow, 30?!? The deer should be thanking you guys. At least until fall 😁
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,820 Senior Member
    30 in 2 months! Wow!!!

And I thought I'd run up a high score on squirrels eating my cherry tree this month.

I'm humbled.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Im suspicious that 30 barely made a dent, let alone 3..
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    We have wolves that keep the coyote population in check. I’ve never gotten close to trapping 20 in a season, with sets spread over miles. 3 is likely half the pack. 

Adam J. McCleod

Makes sense. Its my understanding that wolves kill coyotes at every opportunity.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,274 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #9
    It's science...the more coyotes you kill, the more pups they produce...as their population decreases they produce larger litters...

And Early is right...wolves don't tolerate coyotes, coyotes don't tolerate fox....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    It's science...the more coyotes you kill, the more pups they produce...as their population decreases they produce larger litters...

Yes, but if you kill enough females, you'll have less litters even if they are bigger

Adam J. McCleod

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,820 Senior Member
    A rancher I once shot pdogs for, said "Kill the pups. You've stopped 5 years of digging. Kill the mature Mom....maybe  2 years. Shoot all of them you can, but shooting the pups solves more problems for me."

Hard fact.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Another ranch said they’ve trapped 80 in 3 months. 
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Eupora, MSPosts: 2,814 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Is that number "normal"?
    RugerFan said:
    Zee said:
    Is that number "normal"?
    The fact that ranches are complaining about a low to zero fawn crop last year and heavily trapping and shooting yotes this year makes me think it’s relatively higher than normal. 
    Coyote density varies between 2-4 yotes per square mile, depending on locale. You can calculate a rough density. It will give some idea if the population is higher than normal. 

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL said:
    Jayhawker said:

Yes, but if you kill enough females, you'll have less litters even if they are bigger
    The point being...you will never shoot or trap them out...coyote are stupid smart, get educated quickly and seldom make the same mistake twice...even during cyclic population bottoming, they manage...even if it takes eating their young..
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Eupora, MSPosts: 2,814 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    RugerFan said:
    Zee said:
    Is that number "normal"?
    The fact that ranches are complaining about a low to zero fawn crop last year and heavily trapping and shooting yotes this year makes me think it’s relatively higher than normal. 

Used to hear them at night here quite often. A few years ago I noticed I didn't hear them and I started seeing rabbits again. 

Someone said parvo killed most coyote around here.

Now I'm starting to see coyotes fairly often when I'm driving. Still.dont hear them though.
    Oh, I get that. I don't expect elimination. I expect pack reduction and for them to learn that my property is a death trap (literally) and they'd be best served by hunting elsewhere. I hadn't seen a yote on the cameras for two weeks, then I caught the one pictured above. There's only does and fawns on the cameras since. Good sign. 

Adam J. McCleod

That works and probably the best you can hope for...glad it's working for you...
    An epidemic of rodent disease can stifle the population.