Home Main Category Clubhouse

OT: Engine rebuild train wreck...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,678 Senior Member
For those who have been around a rebuild or two - this guy is restoring an old D2 Cat, and found this engine as a possible donor. I've never seen nor heard of such a train wreck, and that's not talking about the considerable wear on the subject engine. Wait until  you see what "the last guy" did to it! The real pièce de résistance is at about 4:30 with the rear main bearing...

6 minute video

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    He has some good videos out there.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    It kind of reminds me of the stories my dad used to tell about his dad's work-arounds for keeping his $50 Model T truck running, during the Great Depression. Labor was the cheapest commodity, so he experimented with all sorts of easily available leather products to get around the cost of rod bearings and machine shop bills.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,831 Senior Member
    Blatz LIGHT!! :s
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    It kind of reminds me of the stories my dad used to tell about his dad's work-arounds for keeping his $50 Model T truck running, during the Great Depression. Labor was the cheapest commodity, so he experimented with all sorts of easily available leather products to get around the cost of rod bearings and machine shop bills.

My Father's first car was a new 1926 Ford Model T Roadster. He told me about leather rod bearing replacements. The beer can main bearing "shim" in the video is priceless. I got to drive a little D2 Cat when I was 17 years old. It was fun.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,400 Senior Member
    Speaking of old cars, sawdust put in the differential took up some of that wear and made it run quiet enough to get the thing sold before the sawdust wore out and it started making noise again. Hog skin on the rod and main bearings lasted long enough to foist the car off on someone else before it wore out, too, and started making strange noises.
    Those little diesel engines are interesting little 'poppers'. They ran good, too.
    My JD dozer is in the  shop being worked on now to get that left steering brake working. Can't wait to get it back; got lots of stuff to do when it gets back here on the farm.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,678 Senior Member
    Glad you found somebody to work on it - did you have to haul it all the way to the "yellow" dealer?
    My neighbor when I was a kid had an old RD-6 with the 3cyl. It was a joy to listen too, esp. under load.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."