Home Main Category Hunting

Changing scopes

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberJ&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,548 Senior Member
edited July 2019 in Hunting #1
My new barrel job on my Tikka was completed today and will ship tomorrow. I'm looking forward to shooting the new 6.5 Creedmoor.  I love the Leupold VX6 1-6 scope that is currently on it.  I caved to pressure to change scopes.  My buddy and son said you need to go up in power.  No I don't I said, I'm good for as far as I need to shoot with 6x.  At least go to 14 or 15X.  Not going to happen, never needed that magnification and never will.

My buddy is having Short Action Custom build his custom 6.5 CM, you need to go higher magnification he said.  You'll need it for our antelope hunt next year.

Curiosity got the best of me and I started looking at scopes and finally caved to the pressure.  I wouldn't budge going over 10X.  I narrowed my search down to three scopes.  The Nightforce 2X10, Swarovski 1.75X10 and Leupolds VX5HD 2X10 duplex with fire dot reticle.  Both the NF and Swarovski came in at $1800 and $1900.  The Leupold VX5 came in at $900.  

I went the Leupold, at less than half the price of the other two and Leupolds best glass, it seemed like a great choice. Though to be honest, I've heard so many great things about NF, I've never owned one and if it wasn't for the stiff price I would have gone with it.

My son said, you should have gone bigger!  Then he said said well Leupold is only using HD glass.  Why don't they use 4K glass.  My response was simple, "bite me"!

This is one of those choices I really didn't need to make.  But on the flip side I have a great scope in search of a new rifle.     
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Sometimes you feel like a nut.

Sometimes you don't.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member crusted in sandPosts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I put a VX5 on my heavy barreled .308 but I got the 3x15 and am very happy with it. I'm kinda curious as to why you rebarreled to a long range cartridge when you don't plan on shooting long ranges?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,548 Senior Member
    I put a VX5 on my heavy barreled .308 but I got the 3x15 and am very happy with it. I'm kinda curious as to why you rebarreled to a long range cartridge when you don't plan on shooting long ranges?
    We shoot plenty of long ranges. Not as much as we use to but we still shoot to 1K to 1200 meters on occasions.  I’ve never needed anything over 10x even beyond a grand. All of our tactical training was on a fixed 10x. You learn very quickly you don’t need a ton of magnification even when we shot 1600 meters. 

Even growing up I shot a Redfiield 2x7 wide field on my .270. Most of the time my power range stays on 4 or 5. I don’t contend with mirage as much on hot summer days. Also when shooting moving targets it’s much easier to acquire lead and shoot at lower powers. Plus I’m just plain stubborn and won’t consider going higher. It’s a principle thing with me. 

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #5
    Depends I guess.  Hunting at 1000 yards and ringing steel meet different optics criteria.  600-1000 yards is just fine with 10x. Inside 1000 I use 6x and 8x mostly. Above 10x my eyes fatigue quickly. 

Hunting? Obvious P.I.D. of targets would require about 15x in some cases. But then again 15x glass usually bottoms at 3x which is a great low magnification for 50-100 yards. 

I won't tell a man to defy his principles unless its immoral.  Glass choice isn't a moral conundrum, so, whatever tickles your fancy.  Unless you're trying to shoot elk at 1200 meters with a 4x scope... might have some objections then. Haha. 
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    Solid choice. 

For the record, I recently shot a PRS match out to 1250 yards, and never dialed up above 8x
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

The longest show I recall making on an antelope was with an old Lyman 1-5x scope, set at 5x. The rifle was a .284 Winchester.  I thought I was shooting at a doe, and over estimated the range a bit.  Turned out to be a yearling buck, but the range was still close to 300 yards.

Past 300  yards, just about any bullet, regardless of MV and BC, will start dropping like a hip roofed tool box (did I get that right, Mike?).  But, if you are comfortable with the longer shots and can make them, 10x sounds good.

Also, one last thing.  I've never hunted any game animal with a scope whose magnification was over 9x, and never felt like I didn't have enough magnification.

Oops.  One more last thing.  If you don't already had a good range finder, spend the money you saved by not buying the pricier glass on a quality range finder.  You'll be glad you did.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 715 Senior Member
    Don’t know about the leupold but the Swarovski z6 In 1.7x10x42 is a great glass. It is a good compromise in size and weight I have them on rifles up to a 416. I’d say you will be satisfied with you’re choice.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,548 Senior Member
    Don’t know about the leupold but the Swarovski z6 In 1.7x10x42 is a great glass. It is a good compromise in size and weight I have them on rifles up to a 416. I’d say you will be satisfied with you’re choice.
    The Swarovski 1.7X10 is a great scope and great glass.  I looked through my buddies when he got his.  He usually buys a scope to start a project and then figures out what rifle to put it on.  It won't be until spring next year before he get his rifle.  The Leupold HD series glass is very good.  I'm not sure if it's on par or as good as Schott or Swarovski glass, though my guess it's probably pretty close.  My eyes aren't what they used to be, good glass helps me a lot!

My rifle was finished and shipped yesterday.  I'm hoping it's here tomorrow or Thursday.  I'll have the new scope on and ready to shoot it shortly after it arrives.  I actually went out to the range and weed wacked and cut all the grass in preparation.    My cows have been slacking in keeping the grass down!

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,821 Senior Member

The longest show I recall making on an antelope was with an old Lyman 1-5x scope, set at 5x. The rifle was a .284 Winchester.  I thought I was shooting at a doe, and over estimated the range a bit.  Turned out to be a yearling buck, but the range was still close to 300 yards.

Past 300  yards, just about any bullet, regardless of MV and BC, will start dropping like a hip roofed tool box (did I get that right, Mike?).  But, if you are comfortable with the longer shots and can make them, 10x sounds good.

Also, one last thing.  I've never hunted any game animal with a scope whose magnification was over 9x, and never felt like I didn't have enough magnification.

Oops.  One more last thing.  If you don't already had a good range finder, spend the money you saved by not buying the pricier glass on a quality range finder.  You'll be glad you did.

The phrase, as I originally heard it from Rapier was, "Past 300 yards, all rifle bullets have the flight path of a Craftsman toolbox".

That's pretty much true. A few years back I ran a bunch of data through QuickLoad on various "hot chamberings". Turned out none, (even the mighty .50 BMG) when fired perfectly parallel to gravity with the bore 5'6" above ground level would make it even 500 yards before hitting the dirt. Most hit the dirt way before that.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    To expand on Mike's post, if you dropped a bullet from 5" 6" height at the time the bullet exited the bore of the rifle,  both bullets would hit the ground at the same time.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Don't you guys know that bullets rise as soon as they leave the barrel? :)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.