So Why Don't More Shooter Types Join The Military?

13»

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Ok then, but there is a lot of censoring in this thread.

OK, what am I missing here?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    To answer the first question....
    N320AW wrote: »
    I've had the occasion, many times, to discuss assault rifles, their loads and ammunition, with a lot of shooters, who come to shoot at the range . . . some wearing military gear in which one would think these guys are getting ready to deploy to a combat zone!

What is with this?

What is your take?

Someone has to buy the 4XL tacticool web gear.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Unless you're the dictator of your own country, there is always someone that tells you what to do.
    Just get married............
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,763 Senior Member
    Ok then, but there is a lot of censoring in this thread.

Nope. No mods have moved, deleted, or edited any posts in this thread.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    I think this is one time we could use a little of Sam's grammar coaching. Wouldn't the proper term be "censure", as in Censure: (n) the expression of disapproval or blame; adverse or hostile criticism; reprimand. Courtesy of Funk & Wagnalls. There's been plenty of censure in this thread, not any censoring that I'm aware of.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Nope. No mods have moved, deleted, or edited any posts in this thread.
    There are more definitions than modifying a post, I actually checked the dictionary before I made that post.

Oh, and I used the spelling from that World Book dictionary.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    There are more definitions than modifying a post, I actually checked the dictionary before I made that post.

Oh, and I used the spelling from that World Book dictionary.

You got the spelling right just the wrong word.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Again to Pete and Repeat:

Luke:

Judge not, that ye be not judged.
    2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
    3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
    4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
    5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

also
    6 ¶ Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Because some folks like Pete despise good advice.

The reason why I am at loathe to judge "Range Rambos" is simple and as follows:

I remember being judged and scorned by the SxS shotgunners for having and shooting various semiauto rifles such as AR-15s and AKs and UZI variants etc.... I guess to them I was a "Range Rambo" I never bothered to inform them that I had served.

I also remember shooting and later working at a range / gun store and occasionally a LEO or two would stroll in and have a cup of coffee and say a snide comment about the Rambos shooting at the range, and I would tell them, "Go and take a look and talk to some of those guys, then let Me know what you think".

Many did just that and would return and withdraw their words.
    Many of those shooters were very serious in their efforts, very safe, hand-loaders with extensive collections.

Once those LEOs got a warm and friendly welcome and asked to try out various firearms, they changed their tune and became members even though the Police range was quite good.

There will always be a substantial reason to judge and find fault, yet non of us here is a perfect creature, we all sin and fall short of the mark.

Live and let live.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BigboreshooterBigboreshooter Member Posts: 155 Member
    Are civilians with private pilot licenses "wannabes" if they did not serve in the Air Force?:roll:

For the record, my daughter can out-shoot nearly everyone in her battalion. Why? Because she chose to spend a lot of her free time at the range, NOT because of the very limited range time afforded to her by the military.
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    I have a fair amount of hats, shirts etc with all sort of military unit insignia etc. I wear them proudly, they were gifts from folks I love dearly. I'm sure some folks see me with some of these items on and assume wanabee... So be it.

The assumed Wanabee thoughts must be a regional issue, anyplace with a MIL base and or a lot of military retires
    or ex military, one sees such garb and as far as I can tell; no one gives it a second thought as long as it is not an article of uniform that is in current use by the military.

That excludes items with rank insignia pined or sewn on.

However, I sometimes get queer looks when I wear my Navy Marine Corps Relief ball cap since we have 2 USMC bases, one in town and one 50 miles away.

I expect to be banished for this, but, I have a Ft Polk T-shirt on at this time.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • WhitewookieWhitewookie Member Posts: 181 Member
    Well, there is this.

I was in for 24.5 yrs. I did 7 deployments to the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, and the sovereign nation of Classifed Location from time-to-time.) starting with Desert Storm/Shield and ending with my retirement in 2003. 5 of those deplyments was with a Combat Rescue unit. I would qualify yearly with an AR15 and later M4 and the M9, also qualed on 12ga for weapons courior stuff. In all that time and through all those deployments, I employed a weapon exactly twice with purpose....

During the same time I put many thousands of rounds downrange shooting USPSA in my own time. Strangely, even though I owned several sets of BDUs and DCUs with my name and stuff on them, I usually wore jeans and t-shirts. Sometimes even shorts.

Of course I wasn't an Army door kicker, I was Air Force aircraft maintenance...

RV
    Harry
    RV,
    Harry
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." - Robert Heinlein
    Are civilians with private pilot licenses "wannabes" if they did not serve in the Air Force?:roll:

For the record, my daughter can out-shoot nearly everyone in her battalion. Why? Because she chose to spend a lot of her free time at the range, NOT because of the very limited range time afforded to her by the military.

More importantly, you are her father, and that is the real reason she is a success.
    You are to be congratulated.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    More importantly, you are her father, and that is the real reason she is a success.
    You are to be congratulated.

:that::agree:

Yes he should. Pappy brought her up right.:usa:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bowserbbowserb Member Posts: 277 Member
    Variations on a theme, but. I've fired more rounds in the last year as a CHL holder practicing than I did in the year I spent in Vietnam in the First Infantry Division. In the time before that, I qualifed with an M14 in basic, then again a year later, but at no time inbetween qualifications did I have the opportunity to fire weapons as part of my job, or the resources to spend time and money on a civilian range. After Vietnam, I'm pretty sure I never touched a weapon during the last months I was in the Army.

No, to "shoot all you want", the military is not the place. As a civilian with the time and money, you are (at least for now) the person who can shoot all he wants. It's supposed to be the job of the military to assure that you retain that ability!

Yeah, some of them at the range are posers, but they still help the economy.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    I suppose that by the gist of some here those that participate on cowboy action shooting and done all the garb are the ultimate wannabees?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    So where has the originator of this thread (N320AW) been lately?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Prolly doing what he does best, stir the pot, side to side.......

He must cook great beans, because he sure knows how to stir the pot.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Prolly doing what he does best, stir the pot, side to side.......

He must cook great beans, because he sure knows how to stir the pot.

He may be out checking on his "Humanity" :tooth::rotflmao:

Years ago soon after he joined the forum there was a thread and I believe the topic was the Kennedy (JFK) assassination and someone made an off-color/crass remark about it and his reply was "Where is your humanity" I and few others on here thought his reply was hilarious and I still do and I still remind him of it, although he doesn't have much of a sense of humor about it.
    To mention humanity and JFK in the same breath does indeed invite a chortle from those that know old JFK never did anything that did not garner publicity or a photo op.
    His talent as an actor was not noised up much.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,700 Senior Member
    N320AW wrote: »
    Is it just me or are there many shooters who go to a shooting range with their STUFF (AR-15, SKS, AK-47)and try, for a short period of time, to be someone they are not?

What is your take?

My take is that they can do whatever the hell they want, as long as they do it safely and courteously. I shoot a lot at an unsupervised range, and all of this sorts itself out surprisingly well. The old farts are there at daybreak, setting up their chronys and their various barrel cooling devices so they can test their new loads. The newbie pistol shooters who spray silhouettes without ever actually killing them show up about 9 o'clock, shot their 100 rounds of 9mm in about 30 minutes, and leave just as the tactical crowd is arriving. Everybody does their own thing, and if they don't scare anyone or behave rudely, can do what they want.

I always go with the daybreak crowd, because, even though I've been shooting guns, in some form or fashion, for 50 years plus, I always learn something from the old guys or remember something I had forgotten, and get a lot of grins watching the young guys.
    I for one would like to wear some non dandy authentic cowboy duds and guns etc..... would get spendy fast though.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,700 Senior Member
    DatabaseError.jpg
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    For a simpler, more short answer version of the OP's original question which basically asks why more people dont join the military......... 1. I dont like to be told what to do and where to do it. 2. I dont like being in a situation where I may loose my LIFE. 3. I dont want to be away from my family for any extended period of time. 4. Uncle Sam owns your arse until your done or they are done with you. These btw, are just my reasons.

So your saying let others sacrifice so you may enjoy and live free.:iwo:
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member

Bad analogy, a private pilot does not go around saying nor implying that he flies combat aircraft and if he does he also is guilty of stolen valor, those who serve and sacriface as the families of those deserve the right not those that can just shoot good.
    What about the CEO of a major ammo company that has a plane with wing mounted machine guns, and has a private range he shoots at with his plane ??