Home Main Category Clubhouse

Big Chief has passed

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,667 Senior Member
I was contacted last nite by his daughter, just now received permission to post this...

Funeral arrangements in next post...
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    From His daughter, lightly edited...

This is Big Chief's youngest daughter Elizabeth.I wanted to let you know that my dad passed away yesterday. He had lung cancer and there wasn't anything else the doctors could do. His passing was very peaceful, he was at home in his favorite chair and myself and my older sister and some other family and friends were with him. 

There will be a service at Charles E. Davis funeral home in Inverness FL at noon on Friday July 26, followed by military honors at 1:30 at the Florida National Cemetery in Bushnell, FL. If you come to the service we'll process to the cemetery, I believe.

I know that the G&A forum was a big part of his life and the shoots and his forum buddies meant a lot to him, so I thought you all would like to know. If there is anyone else who you think would like to know please let them know!  I would appreciate it.

Thanks so much,
    -Elizabeth

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    He was a good friend, I will miss him!! RIP CHIEF!! :'( 

Thanks for posting, I had been wondering about him for  along time!!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    RIP Mark
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    That sucks. He was a good guy.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,155 Senior Member
    Oh, damnit.    

BC is one of the few people here I have met IRL, and a real great guy.  He will be missed.  

Damnit.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 733 Senior Member
    We just got word of his passing too.  I thought the world of he and April, as did Mr. Jerry.  He will be much missed.  Here they are at the 2014 shoot, she had just shot a bullseye with her eye trouble she was over the moon about it...such good friends are never really gone, they live in our hearts forever.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,018 Senior Member
    Sad news for sure. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    Very sad indeed.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    I figured something like this was going on when he suddenly bowed out of the SE Shoot more or less at the last minute this year - for "health reasons". I only met him IRL twice, at the '17, and '18 shoots - but considered him a good friend, esp. in regards to some of the comments he used to make here on the forum about my particular brand of nuttiness!

He let me shoot all kinds of guns, and was instrumental in my acquisition of my LC9s. I shot his at Se Shoot '17, then around September that year he posted an "Attn: Zorba" post here about PSA having a blowout sale on them - which I took advantage of.

Goddess Bless you Big Chief - you'll be missed. This is the second friend I've lost in less than a week - the two friends were about as different as two people could be, yet I honor and respect them both. {BOW HERE}

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,462 Senior Member
    A sad day indeed. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,893 Senior Member
    Damn, sad news. my condolences to his family.

Sako
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    That hits hard. His shoes can never be filled.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    Sad to hear. RIP.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #15
    RIP BC  :'(
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    Sad news, indeed.  How old was BC?  He looks pretty young in the photo above.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,636 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #17
        I have been fearing the worst, I bumped him a few times the past couple months to see how he was doing and no response, much regret I have not made it to a SE Shoot now, Just Prayed
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Rest in peace Chief.  You will be missed.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    BC for an Army Guy you were alright and a good friend!

RIP Big Chief
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    That stinks. He's with Mrs. Chief now, but we'll miss him. 
    Overkill is underrated.
  • drsfefadrsfefa Member Posts: 407 Member
    Very sad news indeed. RIP Mark.

Responsible CCW is a lifetime commitment to Avoidance, Deterrence, and De-Escalation.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,922 Senior Member
    Last time that I spoke with BC he told me about the intense rounds of chemo he had just finished.  He sounded very weak, but was hoping to make the 2020 Shoot.  Talk about being positive 
    RIP Mark, you and April will always be remembered
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    That hits hard. His shoes can never be filled.
    I'm just speechless. I never met him but I always thought fondly of him and his choice of topics. I will miss him very much. RIP Big Chief 🙏

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    Never meet you but will miss you 
    Rest In Piece Chief

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Big Chief and I had a running joke between us as we were born in the same year, me being born about 9-10 months earlier. I called him my younger brother a few times, and we had a "I'm older than you are' gag going for a long time. I will miss him like crazy, and the good times and conversations we had with one another at the Shoots, and on here on the forum. He was one of the best of the good guys.
    RIP Big Chief, my friend. You  stand relieved; we assume the watch. And fair winds and following seas from your Navy swabbie friend. I will miss you. And a very  big BZ for your service to the country.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    Very sad🙏 I always enjoyed reading his post.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    I hate to hear this. But, he's with Mrs. Chief now. 

RIP Sir.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    We'll meet on Fiddler's Green....Rest in Peace Mark..
    Me and mine are holding you and yours in our hearts...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    Wow, this is terrible news.  I had many excellent, heartfelt conversations with him at Teach's place over the course of the SE shoots.  He was a kind and engaging guy.  May he rest in peace.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Damn, I loved his posts. He will be missed. 😥
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,815 Senior Member
    This is sad news. I had pm'd with him about the S&W that I recently bought before I bought it as he had a lot of knowledge and of course he owned one and told me all about them. I didn't know at the time what he was going thru but he took the time to help me, just the kind of person he was. I will miss him. I wish the best for his family.