Home Main Category General Firearms

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,804 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #2
    I have one. It’s ok for plinking and messing around. They get the gun pretty dirty, pretty quickly. Especially the chamber and recievers. They also aren’t very accurate. .222 bullet through a .224 bore and the twist rates on AR barrels are way to fast for 22lr.  You can remove the chamber adapter from the end of the conversion bolt and they sell a barrel with an extension that allows the bolt conversion to match up. Plus the barrel is the correct bore diameter and twist. I plan to buy one of the barrels and build a dedicated 22lr upper. If I had it to do again, I’d just buy the barrel and bolt conversion to start with. But the kit does work fine as it is for playing. It is fun. 
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,066 Senior Member
    Sounds like it may not be worth the effort then....
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,804 Senior Member
    In my experience, they’re ok for soda can accuracy out to maybe 30-40 yards, at best. But to be honest, I haven’t used mine in probably 4 years, simply because it makes a mess of my gun. The chamber adapter allows gas to pass between it and the chamber and they are blowback operated so they dump a lot of gunk into the receivers over time. That’s the main reason I usually don’t feel like using mine and would rather do a dedicated upper. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    I have used a few different ones and had the same results as Jay.
    If you keep your eyes open for a sale, you will find a dedicated upper for not a lot more
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    I have one as well, and my thoughts echo Jay's.

Luckily, I bought mine to help get the grandkids "up to speed" on working an AR without the noise or recoil. For that, it works well.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 884 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    In my experience, they’re ok for soda can accuracy out to maybe 30-40 yards, at best. But to be honest, I haven’t used mine in probably 4 years, simply because it makes a mess of my gun. The chamber adapter allows gas to pass between it and the chamber and they are blowback operated so they dump a lot of gunk into the receivers over time. That’s the main reason I usually don’t feel like using mine and would rather do a dedicated upper. 
    Ditto
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I see a lot of jams with them when trying to shoot fast.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,066 Senior Member
    Don't worry, I have been talked out of it.  :D
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,288 Senior Member
    All y'all haven't been keeping up with new developments. There ARE .22LR specific AR barrels out there if you want to put together a dedicated .22LR upper without the .224 barrel and that funky adapter thingy.
    Check this stuff out.

New way to skin a cat, as it were.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #11
    Just buy an AR style .22.  Lots of good ones out there.  S&W 15-22 is 300 bucks.  Tippman arms makes an all aluminum one that is getting popular.  They had one converted to full auto in Talladega, nice gun.  A company call 2A just came out with one also.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • GunwritrGunwritr Posts: 3 New Member
    I have both dedicated .22 LR AR rifles and conversion kits I use. Conversion kits are both CMMG and US GI M261 RFA. My farm gun has been a 16 inch AR with a CMMG conversion kit in it for many years. Has worked fine for me. It is not match grade accurate, but easily takes small game. It is very fun as a plinker and for recreational shooting. Yes, it shoots dirty and yes they can be picky on ammo. But it doesn't shoot THAT dirty. I spray mine out once a year or every two years and not worry about it, but I am not switching back and forth from .22 LR to 5.56mm. The dedicated .22 LRs are more accurate, but not any more reliable in my book. I love my conversion kits and would not be without one...