Home Main Category Hunting

2017/2018 Deer mounts are back from the Taxidermist

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberJ&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,545 Senior Member
My taxidermist finally finished up my deer mounts from 2017 & 18 and delivered them to the house this morning. The original taxidermist from 2017 ruined the caped. Then gave me a long song and dance about replacing it. Got my deposit and antlers back and took it to Shumate's in Seymore TX. They've been doing my mounts for years and do a great job. She added my 2017 in with my 2018 and finished them both up at the same time. I went with a left and right sneak pose mount. 

The one on the left is my 2017 buck 13 pt which scored 143. The one on the right is last years 10 pt which scored 120. Being totally honest I'm pissed at myself for shooting that one. We try to take 5.5 year old bucks or older. He was only 3.5 years old. He looked much older and better running the other bucks off when I shot him.

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,656 Senior Member
    I would be ecstatic to shoot the one on the right in my neck of the woods, be glad you can be choosey about which buck you can shoot, I am sure they sowed their seed in the local herd, you future hunts look good.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,275 Senior Member
    Nice work!...Nothing wrong with that buck.... he's a shooter most everywhere...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Great save by the new taxidermist! Bummer that the original cape was ruined, but the new work looks excellent.  
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

I know what you mean.  It always pisses me off to shoot a 120 inch deer. :)

One of these days maybe I'll find out what it's like.

Those are beautiful mounts.  Congrats.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,545 Senior Member

I know what you mean.  It always pisses me off to shoot a 120 inch deer. :)

One of these days maybe I'll find out what it's like.

Those are beautiful mounts.  Congrats.

I know that came out wrong.  Yes, a 120" deer is great.  My surrounding neighbors and I work with our local game biologist each year on our deer management program.  We supply game camera pics and with his help we decided which bucks are shooters and which ones are not.  We really try to take the older bucks over 5.5 years old. 

This lad was never on any of our cameras or game pictures from my place or my neighbors.  During the rut, they move around.  I was on stand one evening and had a couple of nice 3.5 year old bucks and does out in front of me.  He came charging in and ran the other bucks off.  Really cool to watch.  At 220 yards not to mention the excitement of seeing him run the other bucks off I gave him a serious look.  He looked liked an older mature buck so I decided to take him.  When we aged him he was a 3.5 year old.  My bad on that one. 

I know some folks don't game manage and some do.  There's no right or wrong, it's just a matter of what you're looking to do and what kind of animals you want to take.

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Swampland, FLAPosts: 5,100 Senior Member
    I never scored any game I ever shot, but I know anyone would be proud with either. Well done.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,554 Senior Member
    Two Great looking deer, Congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Very nice mounts!
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Jeff - silly question, but I forgot to ask before I left the country: were both of these shot at your place in TX?  
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,545 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    Jeff - silly question, but I forgot to ask before I left the country: were both of these shot at your place in TX?  

Yes, both were taken on my place.  The one on the left was taken in 2017 but the taxidermist screwed up the cape.  I ended up taking it to my usual taxidermist in Seymore TX and they provided a new cape for a small fee.

We two neighbors and I with our local game biologist.  He helps us identify bucks to be taken and ones to put on the no shoot list as well as x-amount of does to take.  We try to take 5.5 year old buck and usually only one or two shooters each year.  Although we let friends and family come out to take a few does.

Funny story from last year.  My wife's friend comes out to hunt for four days.  He's not seeing any shooters only bucks on the no shoot list and getting frustrated.  For him anything over a spike would be a trophy.  There's a young 2.5 year old 10 pt that was never seen on any cameras during the day, only night pics of him.  I tell my wife's friend if you see him you can take him.  He's all excited and I felt relatively comfortable the 10 pt will live to see another season.  

8:00 am the next morning I step outside with dogs when I hear a gun shot a few hundred yards from the house.  I'm thinking no way he couldn't have.  Yes, he did!  That little 10 pt walked right out on him 40 yards away and he dropped it.  I was very excited for him as it was his first buck, but bummed as he probably would have been really nice this year.