Home Main Category General Firearms

I immediately regret loading these bruisers...

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,535 Senior Member
edited July 2019 in General Firearms #1

320gr Cast Performance WLNGC over 17gr H110.  The Lyman book stops at a 300gr over 17.6gr.  I feel good at 17gr.

CORRECTION: The book starts at 17.6 and goes up to about 19 and change for the 300gr lead bullets. 

What won't feel good is shooting these in my K-frame Model 69.  They are a singe shot effort in the lever gun, so... just gotta man up on the wheel gun.

And something about hand loading artillery shells is very satisfying. 
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,394 Senior Member
    Wow - you sure those didn't come from the "Mighty Mo"?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,254 Senior Member
    Why? Just curious.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,856 Senior Member
    Well, you're ready for Bigfoot now. Looks like fun. 😬
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Why? Just curious.
    Just cuz, really.  I only have one revolver and one lever gun in 44mag...so these bullets bound to get shot in one of them. And it's cool to see what some bullets shoot like and the experience of shooting them. 👍
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD said:
    GunNut said:
    Why? Just curious.
    Just cuz, really.  I only have one revolver and one lever gun in 44mag...so these bullets bound to get shot in one of them. And it's cool to see what some bullets shoot like and the experience of shooting them. 👍
    Gotcha.  Cool!  Thanks.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Buffalo Bore lists a 340gr cast load that steps out at 1425fps. My Lyman manual shows a 310gr pill at 977fps with 17.5 gr of H110. (Out of a 4" barrel) I suspect your loads won't be as scary as you think.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,728 Senior Member
    What ya gonna shoot???
    Too much hammer for paper.
    Buffalo Bore lists a 340gr cast load that steps out at 1425fps. My Lyman manual shows a 310gr pill at 977fps with 17.5 gr of H110. (Out of a 4" barrel) I suspect your loads won't be as scary as you think.
    We'll surely find out.  Haha.

And 340gr @ 1425 is crazy.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    I run a 325gr WFN-GC in my Scoped Redhawk with 22gr H110 @ 1,332 fps

50yrds

100yrds

85yrds

They shoot well and penetrate like a freight train!  But, at their speed and mass, do little internal damage when compared to a faster hollowpoint. 

I like them, but recommend shoulder/spine shots when possible. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee, not to derail, but what is the scope mount on that Redhawk?
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,856 Senior Member
    Zee, that should be a good Bigfoot stopper right there.
    And a good bone breaker!
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Not Zee but they look like Leupold Aluminum Rifleman rings to me.  Excellent rings by the way, their rimfire version is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

It’s a Weigand Scope Base and 4 Leupold Rifleman Rings. 
    Spk said:
    Zee, that should be a good Bigfoot stopper right there.
    And a good bone breaker!
    The heavy cast bullets surely go through medium game with aplomb. 

He will be well served with his 320s. 

Just put them through bone or a support structure. 
    Zee said:
    It’s a Weigand Scope Base and 4 Leupold Rifleman Rings. 

Thanks. I have that same Redhawk and the two Ruger rings can't hold the scope still.
    That’s why I use 4 rings on my heavy recoiling handguns. More surface area and they are only about $10 a pair of rings. 
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    That’s why I use 4 rings on my heavy recoiling handguns. More surface area and they are only about $10 a pair of rings. 
    Yup.  Mo' rings = mo' bettah with the heavy hitters.  I find that bowler's rosin dusted inside of the rings is a good, cheap insurance policy.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun said:
    Zee said:
    Yup.  Mo' rings = mo' bettah with the heavy hitters.  I find that bowler's rosin dusted inside of the rings is a good, cheap insurance policy.

I tried the rosin on my casull and determined that it's impossible to keep the scope still with two rings.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 884 Senior Member
    Just an aesthetic observation.  I love the way those Cast Performance wide flat meplats look.  Sexy looking cartridge.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,851 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #21
    I loaded 25 of these tonight. Lee advertises it as a 310gr, but lubed and with a gas check installed, they're weighing right around 317gr
    Loaded with 20gr of Hodgdon Li'l gun, which previously gave me 1103 from my 7.5" SBH and 1243 from my 14" Contender

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I bet a Contender is a fun gun for those. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    What ya gonna shoot???

What ya gonna shoot???
    Early, if he's like me he likes his paper, DEAD! LOL!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Man I looked at hose again and I’m not sure I’d have the balls to sling them from what is basically the J Frame of .44 mags!!!!  You are a bigger man than I’ll ever be. 

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,851 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #25
    JasonMPD said:
    I bet a Contender is a fun gun for those. 
    Considering I also have a 14" 45-70 barrel for it, those 44s are for when I want a "light" load.

They're not too bad out of my scoped SBH either. I may shoot a couple from my dad's unscoped SBH today and compare the recoil
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    Zee said:

I tried the rosin on my casull and determined that it's impossible to keep the scope still with two rings.
    A single ring of rubber electrical tape will solve most heavy recoil shifting issues.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS said:
    Six-Gun said:
    Zee said:

A single ring of rubber electrical tape will solve most heavy recoil shifting issues.

D

I tried that before the rosin and it didn't work. I use the same load as Zee in my Redhawk (22gr of H110) but I use my cast 310 gr bullets and the scope moves slightly after about 50 rounds. With my SRH in .454 Casull, it only takes one cylinder full to move the scope.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    I never put enough rounds through my Redhawk in .41 magnum to notice a scope shift.  It now has regular iron sights on it.  I should get some cast lead bullets for it.
    BigDanS said:
    Six-Gun said:
    Zee said:

D
    BigDanS said:
    Six-Gun said:
    Zee said:

D

I tried that before the rosin and it didn't work. I use the same load as Zee in my Redhawk (22gr of H110) but I use my cast 310 gr bullets and the scope moves slightly after about 50 rounds. With my SRH in .454 Casull, it only takes one cylinder full to move the scope.
    You can’t use regular electrical tape.  You need the self vulcanizing type that does not have the shinny side.  Sticky on both sides divided by a white strip you peel off.

GunNut said:
    Man I looked at hose again and I’m not sure I’d have the balls to sling them from what is basically the J Frame of .44 mags!!!!  You are a bigger man than I’ll ever be. 
    Yea the K-Frame Model 69 is light... I'll report back with the experience soon!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,394 Senior Member
    JasonMPD said:
    GunNut said:
    Yea the K-Frame Model 69 is light... I'll report back with the experience soon if I survive!
    FIFY
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."