Home Main Category General Firearms

New pistol...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,392 Senior Member
Being as I have a soft spot in my heart for unloved guns, I decided to add to "Zorba's gunsafe for misfit guns", and ordered a new pistol last nite. It'll join my Hi-Point $100 bill pistol and my Nambu T-14 - both guns that are widely panned.

Its not a gun I'll be carrying or using in a "mission critical" role - even if it turns out that it runs 100% reliable. Its a 7+1 all steel pistol, I'd rather carry my LC9s (lighter weight, less likely to rust), defend the homestead with my CZ-75BD (more capacity), plink with my Ruger Wrangler, etc, etc.

It is a gun that myself, and a lot of other people, were intrigued with when it first came out as it resurrects an old-time, somewhat oddball action. Right up my alley!

Then the Manufacturer had to recall them due to manufacturability problems, and introduced a replacement gen 2 that was also problematic.

By many accounts - but certainly not all - the gen 2 eventually got itself sorted out, but at about a $470 pricetag, nobody was going to take the chance. So production has stopped on this gun - probably not to start again but nobody's sure.

And now, various retailers are starting to blow these out at around $250, and I found one last nite, brand new in the box, for $199.99. I couldn't say no.

By now, you probably know what I'm talking about, the INFAMOUS Remington R51!

We'll see what happens - there is a pretty decent R51 forum that will hopefully help with any debugging. Should be an interesting journey, at least. We'll see if I can get it running, hopefully without trips back to Remington.

Watch this space for more of the unvarnished truth of whatever my experiences should be!

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Frog Bones? Thought I saw one there. 
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,392 Senior Member
    They're completely off my radar - every time I've spot checked their prices, they've been very high. Its coming from a gun and pawn in Georgia - Bud's has them too, but for $37 more.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,822 Senior Member
    I hope it shoots very well for you. I have wanted one for the nostalgia appeal as well but didn't want to be the guinea pig!
    Look forward to the range report. 

Sako   
    sakodude said:
    I hope it shoots very well for you. I have wanted one for the nostalgia appeal as well but didn't want to be the guinea pig!
    Look forward to the range report. 

Sako   
    Yea, we'll see what happens! Cool looking pistol, and youtube is my friend right now...

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,727 Senior Member
    It will likely be timelessly interesting.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,252 Senior Member
    That is a cool looking gun.  Interested in your experience with it when you get it home.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    I like how it looks
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    Neat gun, looking forward to your range report
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Just received shipment notice with tracking!

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,288 Senior Member
    The R51 was one of those retro pistols I wanted badly, until the introduction was a disaster. Then the recall and the re-introduction went sideways, too. Hope the one you get shoots well. For me, the bloom has left the rose, as it were.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Know whatcha mean - that was pretty much my story too - until it hit $CHEAP. I'll mess with it for $200. Apparently "most" new R51s are trouble free, and I hope mine is too, but I'm prepared for it not to be.

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,347 Senior Member
    I was going to buy one, but Remington’s botched recall was my last stray with that company.  

$200 is a good deal.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    My PF9 went 600 rounds before its first hiccup.  Im sure your space gun can at least do that.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    The the one I dryfired had a good trigger, I liked the ergonomics too
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member

No good deed goes unpunished...
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    Thanks for posting that-----copied it
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    NN said:
    Thanks for posting that-----copied it
    +1

edited July 2019 #19
    Pictures, nothing earthshattering.

Who thought putting QR codes on firearms was a good idea?

Size comparison with LC9s. Since Big Chief let me shoot his LC9s a couple of years ago, then actually found this one for me at PSA, I figured it would be appropriate to show it here since I picked up the R51 on the day of his funeral.

Stacked size comparison.

Left side. I have far less objection to the "Remington" billboard than I do to the QR code on the right side of the gun.

Remington also marketed several "R51" Knives, I have one on order to go with the pistol.
    Range report sometime next week - I gotta go wake up "Claudette the camel" as she has a stage appearance with me tomorrow nite and I haven't a *clue* what I'm going to wear! Maybe she can give me some advice...

edited July 2019 #20
    First impressions: Very nicely made - at least on the outside. Haven't broken it down yet to see its guts. Nice owner's manual and cardboard box. Not to Apple standards, but far better than Ruger's - nice "OOBE" as the tech companies call it. Not that that matters as far as the firearm itself - and subtracting from the overall experience was the fact that the gun was all but dripping with oil! Which does, admittedly, beat rust!
    I shot a  crappy unboxing video - they seem to be the rage on YouTube for some unfathomable reason - I'll get it posted in a day or two.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,727 Senior Member
    The ridges forward and up from the trigger guard will be good for developing habbit and muscle memory of placing the trigger finger prior to aiming.
    If you deface the QR code, have you committed a crime?
    Dunno. Dunno what it represents. It could say "Aloha Snackbar" for all I know.

Dunno. Dunno what it represents. It could say "Aloha Snackbar" for all I know.

Maybe it’s code for I got my designers and production manager fired?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    Google is helpful here. It's a dot matrix code that's used by the factory to track serial number and production data electronically without relying on a human to read it.

All new Remingtons have it, and it has to be visible to allow for inventory checks.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Makes sense.

It isn't QR. It apparently is "DataMatrix", I'm still trying to find something that can read it.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    I believe my Iphone has an ap in the store to read qr and data matrix codes.  I don't have that ap, but it's free in the Apple store.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    You saying Zorba needs a smart phone or tablet? 
    Overkill is underrated.
    edited July 2019 #31
    I have a program on my mac that purports to read QR and data matrix patterns - its not working I *THINK* because of the black on black pattern on the gun. I'm going to try to fill white into the "correct" places and see if it will work then.