Home Main Category General Firearms

New pistol...

2»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,394 Senior Member
    R51 packed with several other guns for its 1st range trip tomorrow.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,254 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    R51 packed with several other guns for its 1st range trip tomorrow.
    Outstanding!  Looking forward to the range report.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I shot one a couple years ago and it was very soft shooting and accurate.  Then I found out i was shooting +p and was more impressed.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    Tomorrow is now today, but the range trip is still tomorrow. In other words, it got postponed a day!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,851 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Tomorrow is now today, but the range trip is still tomorrow. In other words, it got postponed a day!
    BOOOOO
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,348 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Typical R51 failure to fire!  🔫😂
    Snort! Might be - apparently, the big problem with them these days are magazines needing "adjustment". Kinda like a Hi-Point I guess.

edited July 2019 #39
    Just got back from the range.
    Bottom line: 1 FTF in 50 rds, round was nosedived in the mag - apparently the most common problem. I have two ways open to me to fix it, I'll try the "least invasive" one first (Bit of smoothing of one part of the mag lips).
    With that said, I've had far worse problems with better regarded guns when they were new - BUT - not this type of malfunction. From everything I've read, its easy to fix with a little patience. I had tried several things that I read about in an attempt to induce a failure and it passed those just fine, but "random round" in the next to last mag didn't feed and I wasn't doing anything "special" either way.
    Otherwise, the gun ran fine. Next time I'll A/B it with my LC9s and see how they compare. Now I get to go clean it, which isn't a Ruger Mark III level Charlie Foxtrot from what I've read, but not Glock easy either.

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,348 Senior Member
    Great to hear. 

Sounds like a fun project.
    Now I've cleaned it.
    Oh boy...
    There are several disassembly/reassembly videos out there. I got it apart, no problem. I had it "almost" back together, and foolishly thought "this isn't *too* bad...".
    I could NOT get the slide back onto the lower, twiddled around with it, watched every video, nobody addressed what I was seeing. Dug into the R51 forum, *finally* found something that wasn't exactly my problem, but was close, so I tried the solution offered and it "apparently" worked as the slide suddenly went on without further drama.
    Apparently: The bbl can rotate in the slide - unlike anything else I've worked with. If it isn't straight, the doohickie that engages the takedown pin will hang up and not let the assy go together. This is in addition to needing to keep the bbl pulled forward in the slide against considerable spring tension to keep it from pushing the breech block assy out of position (just enough to - you guessed it! - keep the slide from engaging the lower) - its all good, just  use your third hand or your prehensile tail to control this mess and no problems! :D
    Definitely a fussy thing to deal with, but with a little bit of practice and a spring loaded clamp like I saw on the videos, it'll get easier I'm sure. I'm glad I went into this expecting it to be a "challenge"...

I did forget to mention that the trigger was a bit heavy - will probably improve with use. Not bad, but I wish it were a bit lighter.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    Saw a video (which you've probably also seen) where a guy fired 500 rounds through his.  It didn't like steel-cased ammo, but fed everything else well, especially Win White Box.  He said he needed to put another 500 rounds through it before he would carry it...why, I don't know.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    edited August 2019 #44
    Nope, didn't see that one, I'll look for it. It was originally intended to be a carry piece - but now they've discontinued it because of all the problems and bad publicity thereof. Sig's P365 probably didn't help it any either, that pistol makes all the 6+1 and 7+1 guns pretty much irrelevant, plus the R51 is bigger than most other pistols in its class.
    Makes a nice range toy and collector's piece, but it wouldn't be my first choice for carry, even among other 7+1 guns: Too big, too heavy, (by comparison), and all metal which doesn't do it for me if I'm gonna carry it.
    ETA: Found the review video (TFB), the problems he had is exactly what the gun is notorious for: Nose diving rounds in the mag. Fixable by all accounts, but of course begs the question: Why didn't Remington fix this?
    You have to tweak the mags on a Hi-Point too, but you'd kinda expect that. At this pistol's original price point, it shouldn't have these kinds of problems. Now that you can by them at Hi-Point prices, I'll fiddle with it - I got my Hi-Point to run just fine after "the usual" mag tweaks, presumably I'll have the same luck with this one.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,728 Senior Member
    That gun will be quite the novelty for a very long time.
    Yep - that's why I bought it.

Nuts - this pix came out a bit soft - but shows one of the several "R51" companion knives Remington came out with to accompany the pistol. They were really hoping to make a big splash with this gun, too bad it flopped.

Bottom line?  A carry gun or not?
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    I hope that you have a great experience with it.  I had high hopes for that gun when it came out.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    edited August 2019 #50
    Gene L said:
    Bottom line?  A carry gun or not?
    Not for me, even if it had a stellar reputation and I had completely vetted it.
    Why?
    For me: Too big, too heavy, and if there's a place in this world for polymer guns, carry pieces is it. My LC9s is smaller, far more rust resistant, and probably softer shooting - my next range trip will test that hypothesis.
    And again: As far as I'm concerned, the P365 makes all the 7+1 pocket nines irrelevant moving forward. Glock is the only company thus far that has attempted to "meet the challenge", albeit incompletely. Of course, the R51 was introduced before the Sig, as were the LC9s and a buttload of others - but Mossberg and Kimber were caught flat footed with designs already in the pipe that were obsolete before they were launched. 10+1 in a G43/LC9s form factor will be the new norm - but it will take the rest of the industry awhile to catch up.
    With all that said, although I probably would have purchased a P365 had one been available when I was shopping for a carry piece (ASS-U-ME-ing it wasn't a horrid gun that I didn't like, blah, blah), I'm in no hurry to replace my LC9s. The R51 would make a fine nightstand/glovebox/dance bag gun - capacity aside, its weight, size, and steel construction would be advantageous in such roles.

Six-Gun said:
    I hope that you have a great experience with it.  I had high hopes for that gun when it came out.
    Yea, I did too - I was always intrigued by it. Remington lavished a lot of love on the thing, and obviously also had high hopes for it as well.

edited August 2019 #52
    I found a tool - actually a set of two separate tools, that aid in dis- and re-assembly of this thing...
    Although I think the teardown/re-assembly isn't as "bad" as a Ruger Mark III from a procedural standpoint, its waaaay worse from a logistical view. Although I'm not one to normally quote the man, in this case Adolf Hitler's quotation is apropos: "I'd rather have 3 teeth pulled than to go through that again!".
    I'll be ordering the tool tomorrow!

The tool set makes ALL the difference in the world - it makes working on this gun similar to a CZ-75, MUCH easier! I replaced the trigger shoe - the stock trigger is plastic and is noted for a fair amount of side-to-side wiggle. Since this isn't a Glock or other plastic pistol, I installed an after market metal trigger, which as reported, reduces the side to side movement to virtually nothing. I'm the Belly Dancer, not my gun's trigger - my hips move from side-to-side, don't want that in my gun!
    A set of Remington Green grips "just because", and I'll be taking it back to the range "soon" - probably Friday as I think the additional mags I ordered will be in Thursday.

Zorba, you have an unique color sense.
    Remington Green! Grips look better in person - but had to get the green grips! Too bad the trigger wasn't available to match.

YAUSSD

Well, Zorba, you will never interior decorate my house.  Or exterior, for that matter.
    What? You don't like my beadazzler? :D:D