Home Main Category Personal Defense

Leather holsters

pjames777pjames777 Senior MemberLincoln, CAPosts: 1,421 Senior Member
Looking for a good leather holster for my new Springfield Loaded 1911.

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    Inside the waistband or outside?  Concealed or open carry? 
    I'm just here for snark.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    I carry IWB using this holster, with tuckable clips:
    https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/collections/iwb-holsters/products/banshee-iwb-holster

This on also looks good.  Classic design with a little twist (being able to rotate the loops):
    https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/collections/iwb-holsters/products/closer-iwb-holster

I'm just here for snark.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I bought a 1791 and have been using it for a few months and I’m really impressed with the quality specially at the price point.  For a higher end I like El Paso Saddlery.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,281 Senior Member
    Yep...it would be helpful to know how you prefer to to carry....
    I like the Galco Combat Master OWB holster...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Lincoln, CAPosts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Inside the waistband or outside?  Concealed or open carry? 
    Outside waistband.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard in C&L format: https://www.desantisholster.com/thumbbreak-scabbard-c-l/

Rides very close and comfy.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • gatorgator Senior Member Salome ArizonaPosts: 1,746 Senior Member
    I carry my 1911 owb in a holster from diamond d, the same company that makes the guids choice chest holsters 
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    A pic
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    Gator that looks like one awesome rig.
    Looks like you made that 1911 all yours
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Very comfortable and holds the gun well too.
    I have several other Diamond D holsters as well and like them all. 
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #12
    I can't remember how I carried a 1911 concealed...wish I could.  May have been the Mexican carry, may not have been.  That was a long time ago, and once, at the Mall in Athens, a guy bumped into me in a department store...I being paranoid thought it might be a potential pickpocket, afterward, he bumped into me pretty hard and in an area of the store where he shouldn't have.  Anyway, I was wearing the Combat Commander, in whatever holster or not, waist level, and he sincerely apologized to me .Afterward, I wondered if he felt the pistol and changed plans.  He could merely have been a clutz...had a guy with him, a salt and pepper team. Maybe just friends. Who knows?  No reports of pickpockets at the Mall that I know of...I checked. That's a disappearing skill in Athens.

I know it's the worst way to carry a 1911, but the Mexican Carry is one that's served me well...just maybe not in a foot chase.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    Try a Miami rig for the 1911.  It's about the most comfortable way to carry there is.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    I had one like it, pre Miami Vice from which I suspect it took it's name.  Sonny Crockett.  Very comfortable, but it took me two hands to draw the pistol, the holster slipped around too far for me to draw it one handed.  As I said before. It's good but you have to dress dramatically for the gun, you have to wear a jacket or outerwear all the time to cover the holster.  I found it not particularly concealable for my use in this environment.  I still have it, but don't use it...maybe this winter. 

Got a chest holster (like a shoulder rig) for my Redhawk...the only way to carry the heavy gun that won't draw your pants down.And I think I have a GI  "Tanker holster" somewhere.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    I had one like it, pre Miami Vice from which I suspect it took it's name.  Sonny Crockett.  Very comfortable, but it took me two hands to draw the pistol, the holster slipped around too far for me to draw it one handed.  As I said before. It's good but you have to dress dramatically for the gun, you have to wear a jacket or outerwear all the time to cover the holster.  I found it not particularly concealable for my use in this environment.  I still have it, but don't use it...maybe this winter. 

Got a chest holster (like a shoulder rig) for my Redhawk...the only way to carry the heavy gun that won't draw your pants down.And I think I have a GI  "Tanker holster" somewhere.
    Mine straps the holster to my belt, so I have no problem drawing with one hand.  It is true that a jacket is necessary, but I have an assortment of them for various occasions.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    Gene L said:

And I think I have a GI  "Tanker holster" somewhere.
    I made a makeshift 'tanker style' holster for my Glock 10mm that I carried when hunting in the river bottoms. It is definitely the most comfortable way to carry a big pistol, in my opinion.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    For OWB with a 1911, I'm fond of the Ted Blocker 911 or theAskins Avenger style such as the Milt Sparks 55BN

https://www.tedblockerholsters.com/911-concealment-holster.html

https://www.miltsparks.com/products-55-bn.php
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Askins Avenger is my favorite 1911 holster.  I like leather against my skin, but it's thick and increases the overall package.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I liked the El Paso Saddlery 88 Street Combat with my 4" model 29 S&W so much.

I bought another one for my Colt 1991A1.. Wraped it in layers of grocery sack and jammed it inside. Then alternated belting it to a compression sacked sleeping bag frontways and backwards for almost two weeks. This thing is great. Carries high and tight and draws clean. Still needs left hand help to reholster but its thick leather made to last a lifetime.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I liked the El Paso Saddlery 88 Street Combat with my 4" model 29 S&W so much.

I bought another one for my Colt 1991A1.. Wraped it in layers of grocery sack and jammed it inside. Then alternated belting it to a compression sacked sleeping bag frontways and backwards for almost two weeks. This thing is great. Carries high and tight and draws clean. Still needs left hand help to reholster but its thick leather made to last a lifetime.
    Big fan of their leather and have several of their field holsters.  I don't have a CC holster from them but I intend to remedy that lapse soon.  Been looking for one for my Kimber UltraRaptor
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Its easy for me to see another one in the future.