Home Main Category General Firearms

One For Weatherby (.44 Special)

BigslugBigslug Senior MemberPosts: 8,146 Senior Member
edited July 2019 in General Firearms #1
Seeing as Weatherby's Triple Lock is the Pre-Rise of Elmer Keith N-Frame .44 Special revolver, I figured I'd post some pics of the Pre-Rise of Elmer Keith .44 Special bullet.  From the quick research I've done, the Ideal (later Lyman) 429251 was pretty much standard fuel in the early days for the .44 Russian and the later Special. 

Had the mold come in to the LGS with a pile of Old Guy Stuff.  Shop took care of me.  Had a pot of wheelweight metal going for some .30 cal projects, so I figured I'd pour a half dozen to fan the current forum flames:

A little unusual (I think) in that it's got integral handles as opposed to attaching to a handle set.  I'm guessing this one is OLD.

PRODUCT!

It seems to have had an excellent rep as a target bullet.  I think this mold may be a little long in the tooth and damaged for that, but it drops at .432" diameter and 250 grains.

Thought y'all would enjoy.
WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    Too pointy. 

😁
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    The LAST thing indeed to do is begin a casting obsession.  But it sure looks fun!

Cool old mould and those bullets look just fine.  Those bullets get their BC from mass, not shape. Haha.  I bet they are very accurate. 
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    JasonMPD said:
    The LAST thing indeed to do is begin a casting obsession.  But it sure looks fun!

Cool old mould and those bullets look just fine.  Those bullets get their BC from mass, not shape. Haha.  I bet they are very accurate. 

I have an antique Winchester mold that casts .427 .44 WCF bullets. It still works perfectly. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,727 Senior Member
    Some holes in paper might be interesting.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Some holes in paper might be interesting.
    6 perfect number
    Mine freight trains
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,146 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #7
    Zee:  Yep.  Not my cup of tea either, but the mold came with a pile, so SCORE!  Very much a period bullet design.  Just my theory, but I think the origin of the large flat meplats we use today is probably found in the need to prevent chain detonations in lever guns, and they probably found out accidentally they had a greater wounding effect.  At any rate, that bullet profile is seen in A LOT of single shots and handguns without a repeating rifle counterpart across the world in the 1870's-1880's period.

Jason:  The neat thing about a casting obsession. . .You know all those cool guns you didn't buy because you thought ammo would be a problem?  They're no longer a problem.  You end up with more tools and techniques to measure the inside of your barrels and cylinders more precisely, and of course molds (sometimes customs), but a few different alloys allows you to make your bullets rather than find/buy them.

Early:  Probably not.  I have a hard time getting into the spirit of a one-cavity mold for anything other than big single shots - I usually want to be dumping them 4 at a time.  Now if Weatherby takes pity on me and sends me his Triple Lock so that I can have a matching accessory to this mold, well, then I'll do what's necessary.  ;)
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee