Home Main Category General Firearms

Scope mounting

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 10,645 Senior Member
I am installing a Cantilever mount for the first time. It is branded Brownells and I cant find any torque specs on it.  I know Vortex states 15-18 lbs for the ring, but specs for base screws range from 25-65 inch lbs.  Anyone use one? Suggestions?
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    On an AR?

Base pic rail screws..... 40-50 inch pounds

The scope ring screws...... 20-23 inch pounds

Won't vary much by manufacturer.  Unless the base AND mount are steel...then up those specs by about 10 and 5 inch pounds, respectively.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    Well opened the package and unfold the paper and voila there are the specs.
    Cross bolt nuts 65 in/lb
    Cap Screws in a crisscross pattern to 25 in/lb.

Guess I should have looked for instructions.  Thanks Jason for the reply
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #4
    65/25 are what I use. 

I have T-Handle Torque Wrenches set for those poundages. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Thanks Zee
    Think I am going to look into those wrenches. They sound easier to use and maybe more accurate than the fat wrench
    Diver43 said:
    Thanks Zee
    Think I am going to look into those wrenches. They sound easier to use and maybe more accurate than the fat wrench
    Brownells sells some.  I have a handful from 20in-lb up to 65in-lb.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/wrenches/general-wrenches/1-4-drive-torque-handle-prod12458.aspx

Not saying they aren't costly...

Or a Wheeler FAT Wrench works fine for casual uses...about $55. 
    I use a Fat Wrench as well. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,252 Senior Member
    I’ve plodded along with a Fat Wrench for years but I’d like to get some of those T wrenches when I get my bench built.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

It would be difficult for me to justify the price of the T-Wrenches when I only have a few scoped rifles and already have a fat wrench
    Yep
    Diver43 said:
    It would be difficult for me to justify the price of the T-Wrenches when I only have a few scoped rifles and already have a fat wrench
    A company called Fix It Stix also makes torque limited drivers and they aren't nearly as expensive as the T handles I mentioned. 

I have a set of those as well.