Home Main Category General Firearms

The .270 Short is finished

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 10,645 Senior Member
Most people call it the 6.8 Remington Special Purpose Cartridge or just 6.8 SPC.  Finally got the scope mounted and bore sighted. A trip to the range and it is ready to kill some hogs.
It is a DPMS lower with a JP Enterprise 3.5 T trigger, grip I had in the drawer?
 Pro 2A Tactical upper with 16"  6.8SPC II, M-LOC slim handguards and a flash can.
Scope is a Vortex 1-6 Strike Eagle.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    Looks like it will get the job done...tell us about the ammo you have decided on...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    👍🏻
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    PM me your address. I have 35pcs of once fired 6.8 brass that's all yours. 
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    Nice looking rifle. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #6
    Jayhawker said:
    Looks like it will get the job done...tell us about the ammo you have decided on...
    I do not reload, so far have some American Eagle 115gr FMJ to get used to the gun and scope, then will give some Hornady Black 110gr V-Max a try.
    If the V-Max doesn't group, I guess give the fusion a try.  Factory ammo is a bit expensive, but it isnt a range toy, will only  be shooting at game.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    JKP said:
    Nice looking rifle. 
    Thanks
    I shoot Hornady 110 grain BTHP Match ammo and have had really good luck with it on deer and coyotes...

I have a friend that uses off the shelf  Hornady 6.8 SPC 120 grain SSTs with good results...might be something to consider if you find yourself needing a bit more oomph...

That particular bullet design has killed more deer for me than anything else out there
    Jayhawker said:
    I shoot Hornady 110 grain BTHP Match ammo and have had really good luck with it on deer and coyotes...

I have a friend that uses off the shelf  Hornady 6.8 SPC 120 grain SSTs with good results...might be something to consider if you find yourself needing a bit more oomph...

That particular bullet design has killed more deer for me than anything else out there
    Thanks, that is some good first hand info.  I saw the A-Max on the shelf and thought of how good the bullet performed for Zee, not sure how factory will compare with his hand loads  though.
    Thanks again
    edited July 2019 #10
    For pigs the Barnes TSX 110gr would probably be an excellent choice.  Load data suggests 2500fps.  The 130gr TSX is nice too, and smart loading could get you about 2300 fps.

Sometimes with these "fringe" calibers reloading is the medicine for getting the correct bullet for the job. 👍
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ssa-68-spc-barnes-tsx-110-grain-20-rds?a=862805

Never mind about the 130gr. I forgot about OAL concerns in box magazines..
    If it’s accurate, I think you will do well on pigs with that rifle. 
    Zee said:
    I will find out as soon as I get a day I'm off work and it's not raining.

Do you think the factory A Max will perform?
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Stay lighter in your bullet selection in my opinion.  110 GR should be fine.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Diver43 said:
    Zee said:
    I will find out as soon as I get a day I'm off work and it's not raining.

Do you think the factory A Max will perform?
    Put it in the right place.  Yep. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    Can't wait for an autopsy report.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Now that you got the diameter right.....
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Actually, I'm thinking about getting me an upper in 6.8. I've always thought that .223 was the only way to go in an AR, but then I never owned an AR til now so what do I know? Rethinking things it might be a damned nice inside 150 yard gun, and that's where 90% of my shots are anyway.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake, the 6.8  can be used a whole lot further than 150 yards.
    Diver43 said:
    Snake, the 6.8  can be used a whole lot further than 150 yards.
    Yep...while I have not taken game at longer ranges I have spent an afternoon happily ringing steel at 500 yards...
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,756 Senior Member
    Nice job there, Ron!! Look out piggies!
    edited July 2019 #22
    Oh yeah, for ringing steel, punching paper, and varmints I agree. I just prefer heavier bullets on deer and hogs at ranges over 200 yards. But I very rarely get a shot over 200 yards. Where I last hunted there were potentially 400-600 yard shots but I only ever took one and that was at around 300. I killed a pig with my .270 Winchester at that range. All the deer I took shots at were within 150 yards and most way less than that. remember I was hunting a sendero that was about 30 yards wide on average and the animals crossing that were not into posing for their picture. They were trying to get across without getting shot at. And 80% succeeded.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Nice!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited July 2019 #24
    Now, now that we have established that a .277 diameter projectile is a good killer of game. But yet its big brother is scourned and considered a BS cartridge? Splain yoself!

LOL!
    snfake284 said:
    Now, now that we have established that a .277 diameter projectile is a good killer of game. But yet its big brother is scourned and considered a BS cartridge? Splain yoself!

LOL!
    It's very age makes it suspect as a viable hunting cartridge and the fact that it was spawned from a clearly superior cartridge of distinguished lineage...

This new cartridge takes a mediocre projectile and couples it with an archaic case (.30 Remington) breathing new life and heretofore unseen levels of performance in a bullet that was about to slip into obscurity...

There...best line of complete BS I could come up with after awakening from a recent nap..
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,252 Senior Member
    That ought to do the job rather nicely.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Ron, congrats , you do realize that you are now a member of the most disliked, scorned, and ridiculed  people on the forum, you actually built and claim to own a .270, we few enlightened welcome you.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti said:
    Ron, congrats , you do realize that you are now a member of the most disliked, scorned, and ridiculed  people on the forum, you actually built and claim to own a .270, we few enlightened welcome you.

JAY
    Huh?  Wait, its a 6.8 SPC, who said it was a .270?   LOL

There’s a big difference. 👍🏻
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    I do not reload
    ...yet.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jayhawker said:
    snfake284 said:

LOL!
    It's very age makes it suspect as a viable hunting cartridge and the fact that it was spawned from a clearly superior cartridge of distinguished lineage...

This new cartridge takes a mediocre projectile and couples it with an archaic case (.30 Remington) breathing new life and heretofore unseen levels of performance in a bullet that was about to slip into obscurity...

There...best line of complete BS I could come up with after awakening from a recent nap.

Sounds good to me. Actually, I'm fairly serious about buying me an upper chambered for it for my AR. I've heard you talk about it for years and I like the idea. Now Diver's about pushed me off the cliff.