Home Main Category Hunting

Florida iguana hunting

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberKaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
edited July 2019 in Hunting #1
Any of you Floridians participating? 

Green iguanas are not protected in Florida except by anti-cruelty laws and can be humanely killed on private property year-round with landowner permission. The FWC encourages removal of green iguanas from private properties by landowners. Members of the public may also remove and kill iguanas from 22 FWC managed public lands without a license or permit under Executive Order 17-11. Captured iguanas cannot be relocated and released at other locations in Florida. Homeowners that trap iguanas on their property may be able to obtain euthanasia services from local exotic veterinarians, humane societies or animal control offices depending on the location and availability of services. If you are not capable of safely removing iguanas from your property, please seek assistance from a professional nusiance wildlife trapper.

https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles/reptiles/green-iguana/
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Eupora, MSPosts: 2,814 Senior Member
    I've watched a hunting show before where the hosts were hunting them with air rifles. They were in Puerto Rico.  
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I did a lot of pellet gun hunting as a kid. Rabbits, squirrels, snakes, birds...very effective.

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    As RugerFan pointed out, Puerto Rico has had this issue for years with invasive iguanas.  Stay in any hotel there and you’re bound to see feral iguanas.  They also has this kind of hunt and for the same reasons as Florida. Seems we’re doing a poor job of containing these warm weather pests. 
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    I definitely think that would be fun as all get out whacking iguanas in the back yard with pellet guns.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    I just let my attack racoon get 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZKLdR8rCbw

I'm just here for snark.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    The tail is hilarious.  :D

Adam J. McCleod

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #8
    I definitely think that would be fun as all get out whacking iguanas in the back yard with pellet guns.
    It is
    I have taken out several with .22Calibre out of a old single shot boys rifle or a few with .22 VL.  The wife doesn't like it, but when you catch up against the house or on the patio a broom stick breaks their back.

My neighbor hates them, he keeps a spear, machete and throwing knives by his back door.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    It is
    I have taken out several with .22Calibre out of a old single shot boys rifle or a few with .22 VL.  The wife doesn't like it, but when you catch up against the house or on the patio a broom stick breaks their back.

My neighbor hates them, he keeps a spear, machete and throwing knives by his back door.
    The big ones in the pond by Bass Pro still there?
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    A 17HMR, sun shade, and some some cold sodas... relaxing day blowing lizards up.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Diver43 said:
    It is

They are not only still there, they have gotten bigger and there are more of them.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I get they are invasive, but what harm do they cause? Competition with native creatures? 

Asking cuz I have no clue. 

Adam J. McCleod

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    Pooping everywhere, eating most any fruit, plant, or vegetable, eating bird eggs and snails. Some of the plants they eat are host plants for an endangered butterfly.

And they burrow under houses, seawalls, sidewalks, and driveways causing damage and possible collapse.

Lots of property damage. 
    I'm just here for snark.
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    Diver43 said:
    It is

They are not only still there, they have gotten bigger and there are more of them.

Damn!  Maybe we’ll go pay them a visit.  I liked their restaurant burgers 😁
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,061 Senior Member
    Eat more lizard!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Do they really taste like chicken? 🤔
    Chicken of the trees.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Barbecued iguana.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Barbecued iguana.
    Got a recipe chef? 😁
    Pooping everywhere, eating most any fruit, plant, or vegetable, eating bird eggs and snails. Some of the plants they eat are host plants for an endangered butterfly.

And they burrow under houses, seawalls, sidewalks, and driveways causing damage and possible collapse.

Lots of property damage. 
    I didn't realize they were burrowers. Thanks for the lesson. 

Adam J. McCleod

I didn't find out until they started airing it on the news.

I can't hunt them.  Live too far away, and they haven't made it this far up the state.  Yet.

Easy way to get them is wait for a cold spell.  When it gets too cold (40 to 50 degrees) they go into a state of topor - it's like a deep sleep.  If they're in a tree, they fall out.  They are easy to pick up.  Problem is, if they warm up, they get aggressive and might bite, scratch, claw, or whip you with the tail. 

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/01/iguana-invasive-reptiles-cold-weather-frozen-florida-spd/

I'm just here for snark.
    I snagged this from the video.

Holy **** they get huge!!

Adam J. McCleod

GunNut said:
    Barbecued iguana.
    Got a recipe chef? 😁
    You need to go to Tijuana for that...

-Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,061 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:

That’s a meal!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Gator and snake is good eating. I don't see why iguana would taste bad.
    -Thomas Paine
    Gator and snake is good eating. I don't see why iguana would taste bad.
    Agreed. I've watched one of the food shows (Bourdain, maybe) and they were preparing and eating iguana. Looked a lot better than muskrat meat. 

Adam J. McCleod

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member crusted in sandPosts: 5,797 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Barbecued iguana.
    Got a recipe chef? 😁
    You need to go to Tijuana for that...

I actually have that album. I think I got it around the early 80's.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member South DakotaPosts: 2,040 Senior Member
    I saw a news interview where a lady claimed to shoot '12 to 15' every night!  
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    CaliFFL said:

Oh yeah saw much bigger when I lived in South FL.   There are a few by the Bass Pro in Dania, FL that could eat that one in the pic.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    CaliFFL said:

Oh yeah saw much bigger when I lived in South FL.   There are a few by the Bass Pro in Dania, FL that could eat that one in the pic.
    Some of the ones by the Luis Munoz airport in Puerto Rico are also mammoth-sized.  My last work trip there featured one that had to be pushing 6 feet in length chilling on  one of the side roads on the commercial side of the airport.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun said:
    GunNut said:
    CaliFFL said:

Some of the ones by the Luis Munoz airport in Puerto Rico are also mammoth-sized.  My last work trip there featured one that had to be pushing 6 feet in length chilling on  one of the side roads on the commercial side of the airport.
    Yep, which is funny.  Not indigenous to the island!