Home Main Category General Firearms

I’m a little stumped on this one.

2»

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,252 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Don't know what part of the country your in, but I've seen rifles that had insect nests, like a mud dauber, in a section of the barrel. That could cause the erosion you see. 
    Now that’s interesting.  Not a far fetched theory in my neck of the woods.  
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,756 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Big Al1 said:
    Don't know what part of the country your in, but I've seen rifles that had insect nests, like a mud dauber, in a section of the barrel. That could cause the erosion you see. 
    I'm not just a pretty face!!
    Big Al1 said:
    GunNut said:
    Big Al1 said:
    I'm not just a pretty face!!
    Yeah you also have a big Johnson 😁

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,756 Senior Member
    Now yer makin' me blush!! 
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,762 Senior Member
    70 hp ain't that big.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,727 Senior Member
    A Winchester barrel should be stamped Winchester Special Smokeless Steel on the side. At least for pre 64'.

I have a muzzle loader that I fired with dead air between the powder charge and the projectile. A serious wrong that I should have avoided since I knew better. There is a spot in the rifling thats loose on an otherwise tight patched round ball. No effect on accuracy I can detect and no indication of a ring on the exterior.

Theoretically, the propellant in a 300 Weatherby should be buring progressively. Creating increasing pressure until the bullet exits the muzzle. Shuch a condition could conceivably create a ring from many different causes that might alter the bullets dwell time.
    70 hp ain't that big.

Mike
    🤣🤣🤣

A Winchester barrel should be stamped Winchester Special Smokeless Steel on the side. At least for pre 64'.

I have a muzzle loader that I fired with dead air between the powder charge and the projectile. A serious wrong that I should have avoided since I knew better. There is a spot in the rifling thats loose on an otherwise tight patched round ball. No effect on accuracy I can detect and no indication of a ring on the exterior.

Theoretically, the propellant in a 300 Weatherby should be buring progressively. Creating increasing pressure until the bullet exits the muzzle. Shuch a condition could conceivably create a ring from many different causes that might alter the bullets dwell time.
    It is stamped.  Originally it was a 300 Magnum as stamped on barrel but many such guns were “converted” to .300 Weatherby by rechambering when the Weatherby were hot in the market.  Another plausible theory.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,727 Senior Member
    My limited references show only 300H&H or 300WM as pre 64' factory chamberings.

I'm pretty sure post 64' M70s were factory chambered for 300Weatherby.

The 300 mag pre 64s are a bit scarce. Likely no one anticipated that before reaching for the radius shoulder reamer.

My limited references show only 300H&H or 300WM as pre 64' factory chamberings.

I'm pretty sure post 64' M70s were factory chambered for 300Weatherby.

The 300 mag pre 64s are a bit scarce. Likely no one anticipated that before reaching for the radius shoulder reamer.

Yep, crazy right?