Home Main Category Hunting

Hunting traditions

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 7,953 Senior Member

I was watching a TV show last night.  In one scene, a young boy shot his first deer.  His dad and grandad were with him, and the first thing they did was to smear some blood from the deer on the boy's face.  I've heard and read of this tradition, but never practiced it, nor was it done to me when I killed my first deer.

In Europe, one of the traditions is to pose the animal with a sprig or leaf in its mouth.  Again, a tradition I have never practiced.

I guess it's fair to say I have no such traditions that I follow when it comes to downed game.

Does anyone have any particular tradition you practice (other than chipmunk juggling, that is)?

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,811 Senior Member
    I say a short silent prayer of thanks for the gift and respect for the life that was sacrificed.  Been doing it for years.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    It's tradition to put blood on the face of a hunter on his first kill around here, though it seems to be fading into obscurity 
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I used to follow a tradition passed down from my grandfather to my dad to me, of taking an afternoon nap in the woods well hunting.

One day I awoke to find that my chosen day bed was next to the track of choice for a yearling bear cub, accompanied by their mother at further distance. Introductions were very close and personal.

Ive since become a bit reluctant to carry on the tradition, taking my naps at camp if overwhelmed with drowsiness.🐻
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    I say a short silent prayer of thanks for the gift and respect for the life that was sacrificed.  Been doing it for years.
    Ala Avatar - I like it!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    The first deer I killed was in the company of native Americans when I was 13, they told me to take some fresh grass and put it in its mouth than take a few moments to admire it and thank it for giving me its life, that was 69 years ago, it stuck with me and I have done that with every big game I ever killed.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    Ala Avatar - I like it!
    Last of the Mohicans is first movie I noticed that ceremony. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    We were taught to pause, place our hands on the animal and give thanks...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    The blooding of the face for your first deer kill is still alive and well in Louisiana. As is the practice of cutting off the shirt tail of a hunter that misses a deer.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    Ala Avatar - I like it!
    Learned it from a friend, a Lakota medicine man, long before that movie came out.  

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    Ala Avatar - I like it!
    Learned it from a friend, a Lakota medicine man, long before that movie came out.  
    No doubt - where do you think they got the idea?

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    Ala Avatar - I like it!
    Yeah that movie was a classic cowboys vs Indians if there’s ever been one.

GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    Ala Avatar - I like it!
    Yeah that movie was a classic cowboys vs Indians if there’s ever been one.
    Yep. Everything in it was done before and completely predictable (save FX). It worked because it was done so well and showed some spirituality.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    Most of our hunting traditions revolve around eating and socializing. My dad was cutting off a chunk of the shirt of the shooter of their first deer and putting it on the wall with the shell casing, been awhile since one of the "kids" shot a deer. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

Always done this....and then spent a few minutes reliving the immediate past few minutes or hours leading up to this point.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:
    GunNut said:

Always done this....and then spent a few minutes reliving the immediate past few minutes or hours leading up to this point.
    Yep.  That’s the best part!

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    orchidman said:
    GunNut said:

And the benefits from going back over the hunt while its fresh helps in becoming a better hunter cos no matter how experienced you are, there is always something new to learn...
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:
    GunNut said:
    orchidman said:
    GunNut said:

And the benefits from going back over the hunt while its fresh helps in becoming a better hunter cos no matter how experienced you are, there is always something new to learn...
    I agree!!!  I always tried to figure out what went right so I could add it not just to my hunting memories but also to the catalogue of tricks.  

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    This has been my family tradition with first kills. My son when he was 13. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    The only real tradition we had was to eat the heart and liver of a deer on the first night after a kill. My dad's friends that introduced him to hunting in Wisconsin in the early sixties got him started on it and we did it every year that dad hunted but I quit it shortly after I started hunting in Alabama. I think part of it was having been poor immigrants where having any meat was a luxury and being in the habit of not wasting any part of an animal. The liver only tastes edible on the first night of the kill so I think that was the reasoning of the timing.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    None really, except getting the critter in and using all of it out of respect.

You will get plenty of blood on you gutting and processing so no kid games there.

Growing up, if someone took a part of my shirt with a knife, my mom would have had a part of his sack. Shirts cost money. I had heard about it but not from locals. Had a guy at a deer camp tell me he would do that if I missed, I told him I was a lot like my mother.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    We - in the lowcountry of SC, practice a dual heritage ceremony, Indian and Redneck- if at the hunt club- the members participate- if on private land we call friends and relatives to come. First- the lucky hunter helps skin and butcher the deer. 
    Blood and other stuff is collected during the cleaning. Then the lucky hunter is seated in a chair while everyone gathers around. 
    A turkey feather or an elders finger is dipped in the blood and the first stroke is laid upon the ears" this is the blood of your kill- may it help you hear your prey in the future". 
    The second stroke is upon the nose" this is the blood of your kill- may it help you smell your prey in the future". 
    The third stroke is on the eyes" this is the blood of your kill- may it help you see your prey in the future". 
    Then it is said- that is how the Indians did it- now this is how we do it- and the entire bucket of blood is dumped on their head and everyone joins in rubbing it in.

Usually everyone winds up a little bloody.