Home Main Category Hunting

Any experience with Hornady InterBond bullets?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,096 Senior Member
I have a couple of hundred 30 cal 150gr Interbonds, and am thinking about loading some for this upcoming season.

Have any of you taken game with any of the IBs before?

How was the terminal ballistics?

Accuracy?

I'll be using a couple of loads, a M2 compatible load for my Garand, and a full house '06 load for my 24" M670A
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,893 Senior Member
    I've shot deer and elk with the 165gr interlock version with no complaints though I did find cup and core separation a time or two.. I would assume that bonding the cup and core as apposed to the mechanical lock would only enhance performance.

Sako 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    All my experience os with the old interlocks. Dead elk my Dad shot. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,018 Senior Member
    I’ve no experience with that particular bullet. 

But, if you actually hit the animal in the right place, I suspect it will do the job. Though probably needlessly robust for normal pigs and deer. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,953 Senior Member

I load the 139 grain Interbonds in my .284 and have no complaints.  Accuracy is consistent with the rifle, and both animals I shot with them are still dead. 

One was a buck antelope (my best ever) at a laser ranged 230 yard.  I hit it a bit far back.  It ran about 100 yards, stopped, turned away from me, and laid down about 2 minutes later.  Like a big dummy, I approached it before it expired.  When I got about 20 yards from it, it got up and ran.  I shot again and my bullet cut its throat (and ruined its cape), but the goat was down for the count.

The other was a 4x4 mule deer.  I lasered it at 188 yards.  My shot hit it high in the shoulders, and must have hit its spine.  I think it was dead before it hit the ground.  It also took me at least 45 minutes to find it due to the terrain and brush.

If your rifle likes them, I think you will too.  I think of them as a cheaper but equally good version of the Nosler Accubond.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Thanks Jerry
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,497 Senior Member
    A PH in South Africa recommends them.  I trust his opinion since he kills so many animals every year and guides as well
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Thanks EB

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,953 Senior Member
    A PH in South Africa recommends them.  I trust his opinion since he kills so many animals every year and guides as well

The wording of your post hit me kind of funny, Ernie.  I hope the PH really doesn't kill guides. :)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,497 Senior Member
    Yes, I see that..... :D
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    When I went to Namibia with my dad in 2004 the PH wanted us to use "premium" bullets.  We couldn't get anything to perform to our standards prior to the trip.  Went back to just standard interlock bullets.  My Kudu took a step and a half after being hit by a 250gr at 2550 FPS MV from my .35 Whelen.  The PH commented on never having seen one go down that quick especially with a non "premium" bullet.  The bullet was just under the skin on the far side.  Almost made it out.  The lump in the hide made it easy to locate.  

The point of this is that we were advised by a PH that the IL and IB bullets from Hornady were both below the minimum "quality" bullet they were really comfortable with clients using.

Put the bullet where it needs to go and it should perform.  Someday I may try the Hornady interbond bullets, but I have had standard interlock bullets hold up well enough so far.
    The 2 boxes I have, I picked up because 1) I'd never tried them and 2) it was a smoking deal that was too good to pass up.

I've had them 4-5 years, and figured I might as well try them instead of just letting them take up shelf space in the man-cave